Andre the Giant's Drinking Exploits

xcanuck

For example Andre the Giant used to knock down a liter of vodka on a cross country flight and not even show any signs of being drunk.
There's an excellent article in the most recent edition of Modern Drunkard magazine about Andre the Giant's drinking exploits. Truly a great drunk!
My friend in college had some kind of blood disorder and used to be an ASS after he drank 2 beers. Also real boozers can always bring flasks anyway (NOT speaking from experience or anything....) and swig in BETWEEN cocktails or before they even come in.
Now you're just giving away all my secrets! :P

My favorite story about Andre drinking from a Sports Illustrated article on him some time in the early 80's. At a stop-over in Reading PA (at least it was some smallish burgh in Central/Eastern PA), he sat down at the hotel bar and drank 144 beers. He passed out in the lobby. They couldn't wake him up, nor could they move him. So they threw a couple of tablecloths over him and left him there for the night.

My favorite story about Andre drinking from a Sports Illustrated article on him some time in the early 80's. At a stop-over in Reading PA (at least it was some smallish burgh in Central/Eastern PA), he sat down at the hotel bar and drank 144 beers. He passed out in the lobby. They couldn't wake him up, nor could they move him. So they threw a couple of tablecloths over him and left him there for the night.
Well now that we've started a thread on this, and seeing as how I'm just stalling until it's time to leave for FF, let me pick out some of the best bits in the article.

Andre the Giant was undergoing surgery for knee and back problems. The anaethesiologist asked the doctor "how much Andre drank and how much it took to get him drunk. "Well." rumbled the Giant, "It usually takes me two liters of vodka just to make me feel warm inside".

When shooting The Princess Bride, the schedule required Andre to be in England for about a month. When his part wrapped, Andre checked out of his suite at the Hyatt in London and flew back to his ranch in N. Carolina. His bar bill for the month long stay? Just a shade over $40,000.

It has been estimated that Andre the Giant drank 7,000 calories worth of booze every day. The figure doesn't include food. Just booze. 7,000 calories. Every day.

Vince McMahon Sr. assigned a "handler" to the Giant...whose only job it was to keep him out of serious trouble and get him to the arena in time to wrestle....On one occasion, he could only watch goggle-eyed as Andre went about demolishing a dozen or so quarts of beer as a "warm up" for a match.

During trips, Andre consumed beer at the incredible rate of a case every ninety minutes, with bottles of vodka or top-rate French wine thrown in for variety.

According to (Hulk) Hogan, Andre drank, at a minimum, a case of tall boys during each bus ride. When he finished a can Andre would belch, crush the can in his dinner-platter-sized hand, and bounce the empty off the back of Hogan's head. Hogan learned to count each 'thunk' so he could anticipate when Andre was running low. Whenever the bus stopped, it was Hogan's job to scamper offto the nearest store, buy as many cases of beer as he could carry, and make it back before the bus departed.

Considering that Andre stood 7'6", and was in excess of 450 pounds, I don't doubt that he could drink a lot without seeming to be drunk.

In 1973 or 4 we went to see Andre wrestle at the Olympic Auditorium in LA. A couple of hours later, we cruised into this dive bar nearby. A biker, about 6'4", 230# came in and started pawing the waitress, who was not pleased. An accented voice in the back of the room said "Leave her alone." The biker walked to the table and said "You talking to me fat boy?", then "fat boy" stood up. Andre grabbed the biker by his belt, lifted him about 3 feet into the air with one hand and said "Yes." and put him down. You never saw someone leave a bar so fast in your life. He was easily the largest person I have ever seen.