Marrakesh, Morocco

amyblues

Hi all,

Just found out this week I'll be spending 3 weeks in Marrakech, Morocco this June for work. Has anyone been and, if so, any restaurant/market recommendations? Three weeks is a long time, so I'm looking to explore any and everything: cheap/pricey, small/large, quiet/crowded, etc. I'll be on gov't per diem, which is approx. $99 a day at this point, and I'm hoping that gives me plenty to work with...I'm learning that Marrakech is more expensive than expected.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Hi all,

Just found out this week I'll be spending 3 weeks in Marrakech, Morocco this June for work. Has anyone been and, if so, any restaurant/market recommendations? Three weeks is a long time, so I'm looking to explore any and everything: cheap/pricey, small/large, quiet/crowded, etc. I'll be on gov't per diem, which is approx. $99 a day at this point, and I'm hoping that gives me plenty to work with...I'm learning that Marrakech is more expensive than expected.

Thanks for your suggestions!

One great place is a place in the Jemma El Fna (kind of like the square in the center of town) called Argana. The food there is very authentic. My wife is Moroccan and she was quite impressed with food when we were there last year, even though it is in the the main tourist area, she said it was very close to "home cooking". All the tagines there are great.

Morocco is one of the "in" countries right now, so there is a lot of investments coming in from Europe driving up the prices of many things. Additionally, for things other than food, there is a tourist price and a "locals" price. I would encourage you to bargain (don't worry it's expected).

Moroccans are very friendly people, you'll have a great time there.

One great place is a place in the Jemma El Fna (kind of like the square in the center of town) called Argana. The food there is very authentic. My wife is Moroccan and she was quite impressed with food when we were there last year, even though it is in the the main tourist area, she said it was very close to "home cooking". All the tagines there are great.

Morocco is one of the "in" countries right now, so there is a lot of investments coming in from Europe driving up the prices of many things. Additionally, for things other than food, there is a tourist price and a "locals" price. I would encourage you to bargain (don't worry it's expected).

Moroccans are very friendly people, you'll have a great time there.

Thanks for the heads up on Argana and the feel of the country! I'm definitely learning about the prices being driven up as we negotiate costs for our meeting. I'm in the bargaining mindset for our site visit next week, and I'll report back any good findings here.

Thanks for the heads up on Argana and the feel of the country! I'm definitely learning about the prices being driven up as we negotiate costs for our meeting. I'm in the bargaining mindset for our site visit next week, and I'll report back any good findings here.

Great. If you take a day trip (or weekend) to Agadir, you'll want to try Le Flur (I think that's spelled right). It's on the street that skirts the beach/boardwalk area. It's owned by some French Expats and has really good food.

Great. If you take a day trip (or weekend) to Agadir, you'll want to try Le Flur (I think that's spelled right). It's on the street that skirts the beach/boardwalk area. It's owned by some French Expats and has really good food.

Sorry. It's Le Flore not Le Flur.