Famoso Restaurant and M Cafe & Bar, Italian Fine Dining in Chevy Chase with Chef Nico Amroune and GM Mehdi Zorgani - Closed

Wait...I'm totally confused: My girlfriend and I were walking around looking for Lia's on Sunday afternoon and stumbled upon Famoso. I told her that there had been some buzz about it and we decided to skip Lias and check it out. It was just about full and we managed to get a table, once we sat and looked at the menu(caprese salad), decor(like blackbird meets Americas Next Top Model) and shared door with Max Mara(it always creeps me out when people doing other things share a space with my eating), we decided to bolt. I just skimmed the Post review and decided it cant be the same place...can it?

Wait...I'm totally confused: My girlfriend and I were walking around looking for Lia's on Sunday afternoon and stumbled upon Famoso. I told her that there had been some buzz about it and we decided to skip Lias and check it out. It was just about full and we managed to get a table, once we sat and looked at the menu(caprese salad), decor(like blackbird meets Americas Next Top Model) and shared door with Max Mara(it always creeps me out when people doing other things share a space with my eating), we decided to bolt. I just skimmed the Post review and decided it cant be the same place...can it?

When you say: "...decor(like blackbird meets Americas Next Top Model...," do you mean a caw caw-blackbird, or do you mean Blackbird, aircraft manufactured by Lockheed? Trying to get a picture here.

When you say: "...decor(like blackbird meets Americas Next Top Model...," do you mean a caw caw-blackbird, or do you mean Blackbird, aircraft manufactured by Lockheed? Trying to get a picture here.

I think he may be referring to the all-white decor of Blackbird in Chicago?

For what it's worth:

I had lunch at M Cafe (downstairs) and was not overly impressed. However, I have had two co-workers both eat at Famoso (upstairs) and say the food was excellent.

Personally, I'm interested in going to Famoso for lunch (all they are offering for Bethesda/CC RW), however so far I haven't been able to get them to send me a copy of their RW menu.

Four of us had dinner at M Cafe and Bar last night. I'd read in the Washingtonian Cheap Eats issue that they have a chef from Naples and a brick pizza oven and wanted to try out their wares. We ordered one pizza and a few appetizers and a couple of pasta dishes and pretty much all shared everything. It's hard to categorize this as "cheap eats," but if you stick to pizza and little else it might work. We did order a bottle of one of their wines offered by the glass which was a lot less expensive than the other wines on their list.

We loved the pizza! Very Italian-style, pliable crust with some char, toppings light but very tasty. Really reminded me of Neapolitan pizza. I'll definitely go back for more. Also had fried calamari and zucchini, and mussles - both very good. I had some specials - a cold roasted tomato soup with crab meat which was nice if not spectacular, and fettucini with lamb ragu which was delicious.

They have a few tables on the sidewalk, but had opened the whole front of the restaurant to make it very airy and pleasant. The wait staff was extremely cordial and service was fine. They do have a web site separate from Famoso. The actual menu differs a bit from what's on the web.

My husband and I had dinner at Famoso Tuesday night and were pleasantly surprised. There were several other diners that night including a group celebrating a birthday. The service was perfect - attentive without being too much so. The quality of the food really stood out. We had fried calamari and zucchini as an appetizer. It was perfectly crispy, almost greaseless and very fresh and tender, and accompanied by 2 nice dipping sauces. For main courses, I had branzino which was excellent, and my husband had red snapper baked in a salt crust, which was just exceptional - moist, tender and delicious! Both dishes came with interesting vegetables. The chef also sent us a treat of freshly-made gorgeous potato chips to go with the snapper. We also ordered asparagus dusted with Parmesan (which we really didn't need), but enjoyed anyway. No room for dessert, but we were treated to a glass of Moscato d'Asti. All in all, very nice.