Signatures, Penn Quarter - Signed Off.

I just remember that damned black-eyed pea fritter Morou served me and Wabeck, his wife 8.99999 months pregnant, him ready to helicopter out to Anne Arundel County on a beeper's notice, and that dish being a top-ten dish of 2003 for me...

I had a superb meal there during Restaurant Week last year. The service was very gracious the entire meal and when I tipped on what the normal bill amount would have been our server actually came back to the table to thank me. They've also got a very reasonably priced happy hour bar menu (though not as adventurous as the regular menu).

Jeff Ramsey, Signatures' previous sushi chef / creator, has wrapped up his stint at minibar and is back at Signatures.

I just remember that damned black-eyed pea fritter Morou served me and Wabeck, his wife 8.99999 months pregnant, him ready to helicopter out to Anne Arundel County on a beeper's notice, and that dish being a top-ten dish of 2003 for me...

I'm having some difficulty parsing this sentence. Just who's "wife" does the "his" refer to?

I ate there last year when I had jury duty. The food was good. I remember the fish and chips, especially. I'm embarassed to say that the lunch was comped.  :P   :wub:   :P

Uh oh. Do sommeliers have an ethics committee?

I had a superb meal there during Restaurant Week last year. The service was very gracious the entire meal.

This mirrors my own experience there during RW. Very good food, excellent service, interesting wine list. Not much atmosphere, though, if that's a criterion for you.

I've enjoyed the meals/service there and I paid for them myself (although one was at the reduced price for Restaurant Week). One of the servers, Rod, was exceptionally gracious. Considering those experiences, I would patronize the restaurant because I have no reason to believe that the employees are not hard working, good people who deserve support. :P

I highly recommend checking it out for RW. Had a great meal there. Great service, especially for RW. At one point, I asked the server what was in the puree that was served with my scallops and Morou himself came out to tell me how to make it (and they had to have been slammed back in the kitchen). Don't know if anyone else caught it, but he did a great demo during the Folklife festival.

A report on WTOP-AM this afternoon said that Morou will soon be taping an episode of Iron Chef America that will air in January.

This was in the Style section this morning. He beat Ris Lacoste and Cesare Lanfranconi in a pumpkin cookoff.

here

Can't resist sharing a good deal--- just got back from lunch at Signatures. They do a $25 tasting at lunch. It was a bento box concept. Four small square plates on a bigger square plate. In one quadrant was three pieces of sushi, then an appetizer, entree and a dessert. Everything comes out at once which is great if you don't have that much time for lunch but still want something tasty.

The portions were not enormous but enough for lunch. They had a veggie, fish, chicken or beef tasting available today. I had the veggie tasting. The appetizer of sourdough beignets with goat cheese and a tomato sauce was delicious and not as heavy as one would think. The pasta entree with asparagus and oyster(?) mushrooms had strong parmesan and truffle flavors. Sushi roll and dessert were more forgettable.

Thank you for bringing this thread back up to the top.

I have been racking my brain trying to find someplace to take Mr. BLB for a pre-birthday dinner on Saturday. (Bad wife that I am, I will be on a business trip for his actual birthday...)

I wanted to go somewhere we haven't been to lately (or ever). He declined Citronelle. I had planned to do Ten-Pehn but Tom's latest comments discouraged me.

Dino, Palena and Firely are in the rotation pretty often.

Signature's has intrigued me over the course of several RW's. I think he'll like the food and it won't be the same old, same old.

One less thing to worry about!

Jennifer

Thank you for bringing this thread back up to the top.

I have been racking my brain trying to find someplace to take Mr. BLB for a pre-birthday dinner on Saturday. (Bad wife that I am, I will be on a business trip for his actual birthday...) 

I wanted to go somewhere we haven't been to lately (or ever).  He declined Citronelle.  I had planned to do Ten-Pehn but Tom's latest comments discouraged me.

Dino, Palena and Firely are in the rotation pretty often. 

Signature's has intrigued me over the course of several RW's.  I think he'll like the food and it won't be the same old, same old.

One less thing to worry about!

Jennifer

For some reason, I always thought Signatures was a sort of lobbyists hang out ( a feeling reinforced by the news that Jack Abramhoff was a part owner). If you are looking for some place new, might I suggest that you look into Bistro Lepic on Wisconsin. Chef Bruno Fortin is not likely to let you down.

For some reason, I always thought Signatures was a sort of lobbyists hang out ( a feeling reinforced by the news that Jack Abramhoff was a part owner).  If you are looking for some place new, might I suggest that you look into Bistro Lepic on Wisconsin.  Chef Bruno Fortin is not likely to let you down.

I think Todd Kliman really hit it spot on when he wrote a piece about Signatures: A great chef (Morou) stuck in the wrong place. If you look past the lobbyists and sushi, there's some truly interesting and delicious food to be had.

For some reason, I always thought Signatures was a sort of lobbyists hang out ( a feeling reinforced by the news that Jack Abramhoff was a part owner).  If you are looking for some place new, might I suggest that you look into Bistro Lepic on Wisconsin.  Chef Bruno Fortin is not likely to let you down.

Thanks! I'd prefer not to do Georgetown, though I would have made an exception for Michel and Mark.

I first met Morou when he was working the line at Dean and Deluca in Georgetown. It was clear that he was a stud way back then. Very refreshing to meet someone who is talented and a truly nice person. It's not comon to find that in most "Chefs". I'm sure he will find his way into his own place very soon.