Safeway

Pat

The Safeway at 14th and D, SE, is looking mighty spiffy after its renovation. I was in there yesterday for the first time in a while, and it has improved substantially. It has quite a noticeable amount of gourmet and organic selections (and a Starbucks, since there aren't enough of them around :lol: ) . AND, it has accessible, clean restrooms!

. . . sometimes celery, but I almost never have any celery because I hate buying a large bunch of it and then throwing most of it away. Sometimes I'll buy some chopped celery from a salad bar to avoid that.
Which is one of the FEW good things I have to say about the Safeway on Columbia Road. They have individual spears of celery for sale for a price I don't even know. At least there is no waste.

Maybe not your Safeway. Ours has choice meat sometime, though it's not as good as the choice at our local Giant (which is usually cheaper as well).

Interesting. The "butcher" at the Safeway near us said that it was a company-wide policy to only carry Select.

The Safeway near Quaker/Braddock/King in Alexandria appears to be giving those who use their Safeway card 15% off all "eligible purchases" between now and the end of April. Why? "As a thank-you to our customers."

What constitutes "eligible purchases", who is eligible for this benefit and if this is happening at all stores, is not exactly clear, but it might be worth looking into. Especially if you want to stock up on King Arthur bread flour! :o

The Safeway near Quaker/Braddock/King in Alexandria appears to be giving those who use their Safeway card 15% off all "eligible purchases" between now and the end of April. Why? "As a thank-you to our customers."

What constitutes "eligible purchases", who is eligible for this benefit and if this is happening at all stores, is not exactly clear, but it might be worth looking into. Especially if you want to stock up on King Arthur bread flour! :o

I guess they could mean that the discount does not apply to stuff like toilet paper, dish soap, tin foil, etc. Otherwise, there is an inference that some of their food is inedible. But how would you be able to tell? What, do you pay full price for the inedible stuff and the stuff you can eat is on sale???? I wonder if it applies to wine and beer?

I guess they could mean that the discount does not apply to stuff like toilet paper, dish soap, tin foil, etc. Otherwise, there is an inference that some of their food is inedible. But how would you be able to tell? What, do you pay full price for the inedible stuff and the stuff you can eat is on sale???? I wonder if it applies to wine and beer?
The discount did apply to some non-food items I purchased this morning. My suspicion is that alcohol and possibly medicines (maybe just prescription?) are the exceptions.

ALL of the canned mushrooms I checked (both pieces and whole) had a Nov. 2007 date. The cashier said that she would have someone pull them. She was a great cashier. I'm sure the people behind me in line didn't like me very much, though. If I'm eating expired foods, they're coming from my own pantry :lol:.

Oh, but, no...it gets better. This discussion reminds the woman in front of me of the milk she bought that was bad and turned out to be past its expiration date when she bought it. She still had 1 gallon of unopened expired milk at home, and the cashier (who was really a pro at customer service) encouraged her to bring it back, even without a receipt.

This is all-too-familiar based on my experience with the unsafe Safewway. Expired yogurt, milk, rotting produce, missing butchers etc. are what leads us to the new Harris Teeter despite its higher prices. I think I know which check out lady you are talking about - is she the elegant one with the long fancy finger nails who most often is working with the talkative young man who bags groceries? I forget her name right now, but we usually seek out her aisle no matter the length of the line. I'll miss her if nothing else about the Unsafeway.

This is all-too-familiar based on my experience with the unsafe Safewway. Expired yogurt, milk, rotting produce, missing butchers etc. are what leads us to the new Harris Teeter despite its higher prices. I think I know which check out lady you are talking about - is she the elegant one with the long fancy finger nails who most often is working with the talkative young man who bags groceries? I forget her name right now, but we usually seek out her aisle no matter the length of the line. I'll miss her if nothing else about the Unsafeway.
I know who you're talking about, but this was a different woman. Despite the shortages and expired foods, the quality of service in that Safeway improved a number of years ago--rather suddenly, too. It may have even been a decade ago. I think they changed management then. Prior to that, the service was not only indifferent but could be downright surly. Now the employees are generally pretty helpful and pleasant. That doesn't do much to compensate for things like milk being out of stock or there being shelves of expired food. I point out expired food all too often in that store.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the new Safeway downtown. It's your typical Safeway, albeit a nice clean one, but for this neighborhood, it's HUGE. Beyond the fact that we needed a grocery store, I am really enjoying what it's doing in terms of increasing foot traffic on a few blocks that are sometimes a bit desolate.

I'm surprised no one has commented on the new Safeway downtown. It's your typical Safeway, albeit a nice clean one, but for this neighborhood, it's HUGE. Beyond the fact that we needed a grocery store, I am really enjoying what it's doing in terms of increasing foot traffic on a few blocks that are sometimes a bit desolate.
I was a fan on my first visit, but not so much anymore. The troubles are more than I feel like listing now, but I will note that the amount of rotten fruit there today was a little extreme. I agree though that the foot traffic is wonderful.

I was a fan on my first visit, but not so much anymore. The troubles are more than I feel like listing now, but I will note that the amount of rotten fruit there today was a little extreme. I agree though that the foot traffic is wonderful.
I know it's a Sunday, but somehow that doesn't excuse the utter lack of vegetables (really? no broccoli?) and assortment of rotten ones. However, I do love having a supermarket in the 'hood, even if it means I'm resigned to buy exorbitantly expensive organic eggplant just because there's no conventional available.

Man, is the price of saffron ridiculous at this supermarket!!!

Then looked for extra virgin olive oil and hormone-free butter.

Just couldn't afford the stuff.

So, I hopped on a bus (since I have a weekly pass; it saves me a lot) and headed over to Whole Foods where I was relieved to find a half-liter of EVOO for $3.49, the best deal since they were out of the liters of the Italian product (and we all know just because it's from Italy...) and all the options from other regional sources cost more per ounce.

Really couldn't afford the slim, elegant bottles of dark green oil, 100% first-press from Tuscan olives, and I sighed over the lighter oils from Andalusia.

But, you know, just because I can't afford everything sold at Whole Foods Market, I am not going to give up on the store. I'm just going to be selective.

Same as when I shop at the farmers market.

In all seriousness, is this the Soviet Safeway?

Nope. The original "Soviet Safeway" was where the Brookville store is now in Cleveland Park. The Safeway on 17th Street now has that designation. These pictures are from Columbia Road, which in no way usually resembles a "Soviet Safeway." They renovated and spruced up to compete with the new Harris Teeter elsewhere in Adams Morgan. It hasn't worked..

I checked out the new Georgetown Safeway earlier this evening. The floors are sparkling, there are tons of employees (most who seem to be in training, but all very nice), and the aisles are wide and well organized. But on the whole, I think it's more expensive than the Giant near me. And some things are even cheaper at Whole Foods. I also wasn't impressed with the deli or prepared foods counter. The salads and side dishes looked sad. And the bakery, despite having a lot of different kinds of bread, wasn't impressive either. Supposedly, they have "artisan breads," but the ones I saw weren't fresh. On the positive side, I did find a couple of condiment items like very hot Chinese mustard that I haven't been able to find at Giant or Whole Foods. And blueberries were on sale for $1.99/pint (with your Safeway club card). I estimate that I spent 15-20% more than I would have if I had shopped at Giant. That's what I get for going grocery shopping on an empty stomach! :)

The Safeway located at 20th and S Streets NW has closed. I think some may have referred to this as the Secret Safeway or the Townhouse Safeway, although I preferred to call it the Rogue Safeway because it didn't participate in any club card specials. It was also pricier than the other locations.

The Safeway located at 20th and S Streets NW has closed. I think some may have referred to this as the Secret Safeway or the Townhouse Safeway, although I preferred to call it the Rogue Safeway because it didn't participate in any club card specials. It was also pricier than the other locations.

It was, indeed, a Townhouse; and, although it was always pricier than the local Safeways, as well as very small, you couldn't beat it for convenience--especially when I lived on 20th Street just down the street back in the day. There has been much moaning and groaning about the closure on the local listserves.

Yup. Guess you missed it - I know we discussed it here somewhere.

You're right; I somehow missed it. I won't really miss the crummy little store itself, although in my long-vanished youth it was my local grocery, along with Larimer's on Connecticut Ave., which I usually couldn't afford.

Seen yesterday at Georgetown Safeway:

Georgetown Ham Bar

Great Hams of the World

priced per pound:

Fermin Iberico (Spain) 69.99

Noel Serrano (Catalonia, Spain) 19.99

Madrange Le Ruban Bleu (Quebec) 15.99

D'Artagnan

Mangalica (Spain) 69.99

Serrano (Rasillo de Carmeros Mountains, Spain) 16.99

Jambon de Bayonne (French Prosciutto) 17.99

Tasso (Cajun Inspired) 10.99

Unfortunately, it isn't actually a ham bar, it's a meat case. And the meat is sliced on a standard slicer. The Iberico and Mangalica were still sealed in their cryovac packaging. It doesn't seem to be appropriate to ask for tastes of several before deciding which to buy, although when I ordered 1/4 pound of Serrano, the clerk did give me a bit to taste before he sliced the rest. Based on that taste, which had a slightly bitter finish, I decided to get Jambon de Bayonne instead. But, dang, I sure would like to taste the Mangalica. I had Iberico in Spain, and I'm pretty sure that it would be delicious. The prospect of those magnificent hams being sliced on the same deli slicer that they use for their cheap lunch meat, though...