Temperance Hall, Petworth - Closed.

A Grilled Cheese Sandwich ($5.00) with Cheddar, Jack, tomato, and the barest hint of mustard, served on a good, thick-cut Lyon-bakery semolina toast with bacon ($1.50) makes for some good pub-grub. The garlic fries, tossed with parsley and fresh garlic, are worth the $1.50 upcharge, and a Rittenhouse Bonded 100 Rye (neat, with a single cube of ice on the side) is a great drink for $7.00. A Fish and Chips Platter ($14) is currently being battered with Brooklyn Brown Ale (despite the menu saying it's with Wolaver's), and served with very good house-made tartar sauce.

Temperance Hall reminds me, in its own way, of a neighborhood speakeasy in Prohibition-era New York, post-War London, or modern-day Cleveland.

Cheers,

Rocks.

The new Temperance Hall on Georgia Avenue (a block south of the Georgia Ave. Metro station) has at least four different ryes available - didn't note which ones, though.

The Michter's Rye I had on Saturday was a delightful nightcap (it's what the bartender recommended when I asked for a good rye that wasn't the Rittenhouse 100). I remember reading the bottle but I was far too gone to remember any details. The Gaffel Kolsch (tap) and Hop Devil (bottle) that I had before the Rye probably didn't help.

I like this bar. It almost makes me wish I lived up in that neighborhood. Almost.

Their wings are very good. Correctly fried and coated with Franks. None of those odd variations served at other joints around town :angry: . These are real Buffalo style. The blue cheese is also properly chunky (what is it with those places that serve them with ranch anyway?).

The hamburger is also quite good. I really like the vibe in this place.

Hopefully they don't get rid of the rye whiskey when the Wonderland folks do the makeover.
I ran into Dan last night at Saint-Ex and he said they'll continue to have the rye selection... until they run out. There's a little more (incredibly depressing) information here.

That Going Out Gurus article was unbelieveably depressing, and full disclosure, I have never been to Temperance Hall, but it is beyond me why someone would want to DESTROY the historic character of such an establishment and to turn it into a completely faceless and terrible, terrible bar. :(
Agreed. I'd kept meaning to go there. Depression-era happy hour anyone?

That Going Out Gurus article was unbelieveably depressing, and full disclosure, I have never been to Temperance Hall, but it is beyond me why someone would want to DESTROY the historic character of such an establishment and to turn it into a completely faceless and terrible, terrible bar. :(

Though it's my favorite bar in DC, I feel compelled to mention that its 'historic character' is less than two years old. And even though I'm worried about the changes I think it's a bit hasty to assume it will be turned into a 'completely faceless and terrible, terrible bar'.

Though it's my favorite bar in DC, I feel compelled to mention that its 'historic character' is less than two years old. And even though I'm worried about the changes I think it's a bit hasty to assume it will be turned into a 'completely faceless and terrible, terrible bar'.

Perhaps I am being a bit hasty, but as I was reading the article, I couldn't help but imagine Temperance Hall being remade into Wonderland North, despite the new ownership's promises to the contrary. Perhaps I'm in the minority when I say I do not care for Wonderland very much.

I ran into Dan last night at Saint-Ex and he said they'll continue to have the rye selection... until they run out. There's a little more (incredibly depressing) information here.

All I can say is they had better keep their hands off The Penthouse aka The House.

Who needs microbrews on tap when you can sip Moet in "the pit"?

And, no, calling it "Boogie Wonderland" (or having it on their jukebox alongside Nina Simone and the Smiths) would not make it ok.

Went here last night. I'd read that the service was sort of slipping, and found that to be true. I don't know if part of the issue is the restaurant's transition, but there was only one server and bartender for the entire place, and we found ourselves continually having to flag down our server. And it seemed like the server was spending most of his time back in the kitchen.

I do have to say that the wings are truly fabulous, and exactly how everyone has described. The garlic fries were also very tasty, and awesome in the homemade bleu cheese sauce. From what I've heard they do plan on keeping the wings and garlic fries, and they better because they're probably the best in the city. I will say that I could not shake the scent of garlic out of my system for the rest of the night.