Samuel Smith Beers

So......who's coming to the Samuel Smith's Glassware Giveaway tomorrow at Rustico???? It's Sam Smith's! Taddy Porter! Oatmeal Stout! Next to Old Peculier, I can't think of a more serious English beer with as long of a history in my life. I used to drink bottles of this stuff at the Copake Inn in Copake, NY back in 1981. Yes, I was under 18, but think of all those poor folks who lived in Massachusetts where the drinking age was (gasp!) 20!!!!!!

Okay, here's another reason you need to come. Look here! Check it out on the left side of the page you just linked to. These poor blokes are sandwiched between John Smith's (only partially evil) and Coors!!!!! Yes Coors, of the Carl Sagan-like "billions and billions" level of evil! You need to come and drink Sam Smith's beer and help them overcome the darkness that surrounds them on all fronts (within the limits of Tadcaster).

But here's more....Sam Smith's uses Yorkshire Squares!!!! What's a Yorkshire Square? Hey, there aren't many folks brewing beer in Yorkshire squares anymore. Still don't get it? Read more here. Now look at this photo from that page. That's like the ultimate beer jacuzzi. You want to go swimming, right?

yorkshiresquareartea0.gif

Now, I haven't seen the squares at Samuel Smith's, but I have had the pleasure of sitting square-side at the Black Sheep Brewery in Masham, supposedly one of the only other places still using Yorkshire Squares. But all the pics I took were done before I got a digital camera, so I can't show them to you. But I do have this pic I took of a fine pint of Black Sheep Bitter being poured at the Blue Lion Inn, the absolute greatest inn on the face of the planet. (PM me if you're interested in a hunting excursion.)

bluelionhandpulledblrl1.th.jpg

So, if you're looking for delicious beer, with character and pedigree and without all that hyped-up standard we've gotten accustomed to in America that says, "I've got more hops in my beer than a team of bullfrogs gang-banging a rabbit," you need to be at Rustico tomorrow. And if that's not enough to get you to show, let's turn it up for some VAN HALEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you seen her?

So fine and pretty. Fooled me with her style and ease.

And I feel her from across the room.

Yes, it's love in the third degree.

Ooh, baby, baby.

Won'tcha turn your head my way?

Ooh, baby, baby.

Come on, take a chance.

You're old enough to dance the night away.

Oh, come on, baby, dance the night away.

A live wire.

Barely a beginner, but just watch that lady go.

She's on fire, 'cause dancing gets her higher than

anything else she knows.

Ooh, baby, baby.

Won'tcha turn your head my way?

Ooh, baby, baby.

Well, don't skip romance, 'cause you're old enough to dance

the night away.

Oh, come on, baby, dance the night away.

Dance the night away.

Dance, dance, dance the night away.