TPSS Co-op

Heather

I've been to the Roots Market near Columbia and it reminded me of the TPSS Co-Op. Good intentions, but annoying in execution.
Wow, that's pretty much my impression of the TPSS Co-op. And true for both locations, although the SS location has the benefit of being close to Parkway Deli.

Wow, that's pretty much my impression of the TPSS Co-op. And true for both locations, although the SS location has the benefit of being close to Parkway Deli.

But the TPSS Co-op has Moctec corn tortillas and chips (local and made with from-scratch masa) and pullman-style brioche, which is great for making bread pudding. And Rice Dreams horchata, which I haven't seen anywhere else (though they were sold out last time I went). And if I'm very lucky, they have organic goat milk, which I use for making chevre. I always hang out there while my daughter has her guitar lesson down the street.

TPSS Co-op is my source for Bee George Honey. Locally produced from local bees and neighborhood pollen.

Not sure how they stock their produce, but it seldom looks farmer's market fresh.

ETA: Today saw a new, to me, product in the SS location. Three varieties of Bare Fruit (2.6 oz bags): Bake-Dried Granny Smith Apple Chips, Bake-Dried Cinnamon Apple Chips, Bake-Dried Fuji Apple Chips and Bake-Dried Pears. All organic without additives or preservatives. I may have found my new afternoon snack.

I was a member of TPSS for several years, only resigning when I moved out of the area. There was a shift a few years ago when they decided to start selling meats--a big vote was put to the membership, and some of the vegetarian members were really worked up over the issue. (I remember being actively lobbied whenever I'd stop by, which was at least once a week.) I never expected a real meat counter and I don't think I ever bought any meat products there except for the occasional piece of smoked trout for tossing in a salad or something. It's just one of those things that Whole Paycheck does much better at a comparable price point.

The produce has been up and down in quality over the years. When I left close to 2 years ago, it was on the upswing again. I know they've had trouble retaining a committed produce section manager. Still, I bought my carrots, swiss chard and winter squash there happily when the farmer's market thinned out in the off-season.

Some things I think TPSS does particularly well:

They have excellent bulk bins--the best I've seen in the area, although Common Market in Frederick gives them a bit of a run. Almost everything in the bulk section is high-quality, and it's often an excellent value too. I especially loved the mixed nuts and the oats.

They carry a better assortment of eggs than anybody else in the area, too. Fertilized, organic, brown, whatever you want from all local producers.

They also carry a great selection of tofu and other vegetarian proteins, whatever you think of those foods. And their chip selection is also great for snackers--with both more value-priced lines like Bearitos and the more upscale Terra type brands.

I think they have a good selection of breads from local bakeries on-hand, too. I can fulfill almost all my bread needs between products from Firehook, Spring Mill, and Uptown Bakers that TPSS resells.

You will also be hard-pressed to find a more responsive market, if you take the time to comment. They responded to and followed through on almost every single request I made over the years I shopped there. No such luck at Whole Paycheck.

I do understand some of the frustrations ya'll express, and I'd never pretend that I could do all of my shopping at TPSS. I didn't, not even when I was a vegetarian. As I added meat back into my diet I found myself relying more on Giant and later Whole Foods after they got going in Silver Spring. But I find it hard to believe TPSS has turned into teh suck in under two years. Maybe I should move back and start taking names if so.

I was a member of TPSS for several years, only resigning when I moved out of the area. There was a shift a few years ago when they decided to start selling meats--a big vote was put to the membership, and some of the vegetarian members were really worked up over the issue. (I remember being actively lobbied whenever I'd stop by, which was at least once a week.) I never expected a real meat counter and I don't think I ever bought any meat products there except for the occasional piece of smoked trout for tossing in a salad or something. It's just one of those things that Whole Paycheck does much better at a comparable price point.

The produce has been up and down in quality over the years. When I left close to 2 years ago, it was on the upswing again. I know they've had trouble retaining a committed produce section manager. Still, I bought my carrots, swiss chard and winter squash there happily when the farmer's market thinned out in the off-season.

Some things I think TPSS does particularly well:

They have excellent bulk bins--the best I've seen in the area, although Common Market in Frederick gives them a bit of a run. Almost everything in the bulk section is high-quality, and it's often an excellent value too. I especially loved the mixed nuts and the oats.

They carry a better assortment of eggs than anybody else in the area, too. Fertilized, organic, brown, whatever you want from all local producers.

They also carry a great selection of tofu and other vegetarian proteins, whatever you think of those foods. And their chip selection is also great for snackers--with both more value-priced lines like Bearitos and the more upscale Terra type brands.

I think they have a good selection of breads from local bakeries on-hand, too. I can fulfill almost all my bread needs between products from Firehook, Spring Mill, and Uptown Bakers that TPSS resells.

You will also be hard-pressed to find a more responsive market, if you take the time to comment. They responded to and followed through on almost every single request I made over the years I shopped there. No such luck at Whole Paycheck.

I do understand some of the frustrations ya'll express, and I'd never pretend that I could do all of my shopping at TPSS. I didn't, not even when I was a vegetarian. As I added meat back into my diet I found myself relying more on Giant and later Whole Foods after they got going in Silver Spring. But I find it hard to believe TPSS has turned into teh suck in under two years. Maybe I should move back and start taking names if so.

Some of the frozen meat at the TP co-op (I haven't been to Silver Spring) is from Smith Meadows, a local VA outfit which sells their frozen meat at Courthouse and Dupont Markets. They also have Bonaparte Bakery baguettes and pastries. And Toigo salsa, honey and pasta sauce. I second on the bulk bins. They have De Cecco pasta in bulk (among other types). And they do seem to make an effort to sell locally grown produce. I am somewhat surprised by the vehemence of the critics. I guess I just have a soft spot for old-fashioned, funky "health food" co-ops. Just an old hippie at heart...

FWIW, Smith Meadows also sold at the Takoma farmer's market, at least back when I lived in Takoma. (And at the farmer's market, they had more selection than what TPSS carried.)

Maybe my standards are lower too. I'd still shop there regularly if I lived in the area, though I don't think it's such a great store that it's worth traveling to if you live closer to some of the other coops in the region.