Separate Checks

Joe H

We asked up front about separate checks and were told it was O.K. Maybe that's host/server/managment miscommunication. I fail to see how them writing one big receipt and then running separate receipts for each credit card anyway was easier than just running separate checks to start with.

Exactly how does any of this equate to "cheap and stingy?" If you'd rather close your eyes to management that doesn't give a rat's backside about their customers, then stop at the part about "when the check came."

About two months ago I went with a number of people to an Italian restaurant (Bellissimo) in Fairfax. When we got there several of them took it upon themselves to ask the waiter for separate checks. Pretty soon we were up to eight separate checks for a table of ten. I cringed. Actually, I didn't cringe. I was seriously embarassed to be in a group like this-one which I felt seemingly didn't trust each other to take the time to pick up the check and figure out each' amount later. I told the waiter to give the check to me. I didn't care if it cost me double-triple what it should have. I just wasn't going to put up with the personal embarassment of what this group of people was asking the waiter to do. I really didn't care if these were friends, co-workers or not. Many years ago I had been on the other side of the table and, from my own memory, I knew people like these. They were the stuff of stories in the backrooms and kitchens when I was growing up.

Do I have to tell you what I went through to get the money they owed me? It was no wonder they wanted separate checks!!!! You can say all you want to about what this restaurant put you through but, for me, if you are the kind of person who insists on having your own separate check-one out of seven, eight, thirteen or whatever-I really don't want to be part of your group. Sorry. One check. Figure it out later. If you can't trust those you are dining with then you shouldn't be out with them. If you need the individual check (a smaller one at that) for a write off or reimbursement then either your company doesn't trust you or the IRS doesn't.

It's been over thirty years since I waited on tables. If I had run into you-wanting 13 checks for 13 people with 13 credit card receipts-I suppose it would be over thirty years before I got out of prison....

Anyway, as you tried to make your point self righteously slamming the restaurant for refusing to give you thirteen checks with thirteen credit card receipts (!!???!!!), I have made mine. As mine reflected exaggeration I would like to believe that your thirteen was an exaggerated number also.

If you need the individual check for a write off or reimbursement then either your company doesn't trust you or the IRS doesn't.

Don't take it out on the restaurant. What you are asking for is ludicrous. How dare you try to impugn the restaurant for doing what, for most, is right!

So the alternative is to what? Not eat lunch? I guess they should just all schlep over to Qdoba or something, eh? For many companies for a person to charge in an expense they need a receipt showing the amount of the expenditure. The IRS does as well. While it is extremely annoying for the server, the group asked ahead of time and evidently was told that it could be done. If this is the case I can see absolutely no reason for the server or manager to be upset when they were asked earlier to do something and they then agreed to do it.

With the company I work for one person more than likely would have picked up the tab if it were being charged to the company but who knows what this company's policies are. While I do think it's somewhat reprehensible for a group of 13 to ask for separate checks and wouldn't do it myself, I also think it's somewhat reprehensible for a restaurant to state that they will do something (which they evidently did in this case) and then try and weasel out of doing it.

It doesn't particularly look great on either party...

It's been over thirty years since I waited on tables. If I had run into you-wanting 13 checks for 13 people-I suppose it would be over thirty years before I got out of prison....

Anyway, as you tried to make your point self righteously slamming the restaurant for refusing to give you thirteen checks with thirteen credit card receipts (!!???!!!), I have made mine.

More importantly, how was the wine? :o

Thirteen separate checks and thirteen separate credit card receipts for each person. Do you have ANY idea how much time this takes? If you were at the next table you would still be waiting for your food while the server was locked up at a computer terminal, typing and printing each of the thirteen receipts out. Meanwhile all thirteen of them are laughing, satisfied that they saved so much of their time. Of course, it is at your expense. Your server has no choice: the printer can only work so fast.

Meanwhile your food grows cold while the printers churns out the neighboring table's thirteen receipts.

When I travel on business and dine with a number of business associates, the etiquette is that everyone throws a credit card on the table at the end of the meal and the check gets split evenly. Making them do a separate check at the start of the meal just does not work because we inevitably wind up sharing wine out the wazzu. But this is a topic the deserves its own thread, not under "On the Border."

Same here re: having one colleague pick up the bill and expense it, but does that work for government employees? Other industries? I'm not saying this "split it 13 ways" thing was right (to the contrary), but that's the only explanation I could come up with.

One thing I have been amazed at here in town is that waiters routinely ask us if we want separate checks and provide them without blinking. Groups of 8, 10, 15...no problem. I always tip very generously for the courtesy. For my government travel, I don't need a receipt as I get reimbursed a set amount per meal regardless of actual cost. There is no consideration of locality averages.

For my government travel, I don't need a receipt as I get reimbursed a set amount per meal regardless of actual cost. There is no consideration of locality averages.
I'm also a fed. Like laniloa said, there's just a set per diem for any given region. You can eat at the local equivalent of Five Guys or Citronelle, there's no reason to present a receipt. You'll still be reimbursed the same amount.

I can understand everybody at the table needing a *copy* of a receipt, but needing a separate check doesn't make much sense to me. When submitting the expense report, you indicate on the receipt what 3 items you ordered and provide your credit card signed receipt that indicates you paid for those three items plus tax and tip. However, I've never waited tables before--is printing out 13 identical receipts significantly time-consuming and/or even do-able? I don't know.

13 separate checks is too much to ask (IMO). I think one difficulty I have with heaping derision on the OP is that s/he states that they asked for this at the beginning of the meal and were told it was possible. While I'm with Joe that it's embarassing to ask for something like this and I wouldn't be party to such a request, they did ask and were told it was possible. To then be told at the end of the meal that it's not possible is frustrating (although one does wonder if there wasn't some miscommunication, because in spite of laniloa's post, I have a hard time believing the waiter acquiesced to such a request).

I think one difficulty I have with heaping derision on the OP is that s/he states that they asked for this at the beginning of the meal and were told it was possible.
I went back and read the original post closely. It is not clear that they asked for separate checks at the beginnning of the meal. A fair reading of the post is that the first time the issue of separate checks came up was when the single check arrived at the end of the meal. I would agree that if separate checks were requested at the start and the restaurant refused, then the original poster would have a point. But deriding the restaurant for what they did when separate checks were requested at the end, well, that is different. But again, it's not clear.

Funny, I initially read "up front" as "up front at the host stand", rather than "upfront" (one word). Especially since he mentioned possible host/server miscommunication:

"We asked up front about separate checks and were told it was O.K. Maybe that's host/server/managment miscommunication.".

Asking the host about policy is not quite the same as requesting separate checks from the waiter "upfront". But I could be totally misreading it, and he really did mean that he asked the waiter upfront.

There is another issue as well: if you have one check with 13 people on it then, theoretically, all 13 entrees should be turned out by the kitchen at the same time. When you have separate checks they will come up individually which is not necessarily all at the same time.

13 separate checks is goddamned ludicrous if mentioned before *or* after the fact. You find the person in the group who has a credit/debit card that isn't embarrassingly maxed out, give the money to him, have him charge it, and be done with it. Oh wait, I forgot - no one carries plain old cash nowadays - it's not "hip" anymore!

When we got there several of them took it upon themselves to ask the waiter for separate checks. Pretty soon we were up to eight separate checks for a table of ten. I cringed. Actually, I didn't cringe. I was seriously embarassed to be in a group like this-one which I felt seemingly didn't trust each other to take the time to pick up the check and figure out each' amount later. I told the waiter to give the check to me. I didn't care if it cost me double-triple what it should have. I just wasn't going to put up with the personal embarassment of what this group of people was asking the waiter to do.
I am with you Joe and I know that many people on this board fell the same way.

I find it embarrassing that adults cannot act like professional adults. Last week, I had a lunch with six people. I found out at the end, that a couple of people had asked the waiter for separate checks. The waiter did not enter it for separate checks and people started to get upset. I was really annoyed that they could not be adults and pay the proper amount on their own.

I asked the waiter to just give me the check, and handed him is my card. - I passed the printout around and said give me back what you think later. Last time I eat with this group.

Same here re: having one colleague pick up the bill and expense it, but does that work for government employees? Other industries? I'm not saying this "split it 13 ways" thing was right (to the contrary), but that's the only explanation I could come up with.

Government employees, at least Federal government employees, are on a per diem. We get a certain amount per day to put on our travel reimbursement and do not have to turn in receipts etc. for meals. I falls under M&IE (meals and incidental expenses) and is a set amount based on where you are. (i.e., the M&IE is a lot higher in San Francisco than in Boise) They do reduce it if your meals are provided (such as lunch provided or breakfast provided at a conferenc) but it is a set amount per day or portion thereof.

When we are dining as a group (such as when my wine group gets together) we just split the amounts and either put it all in cash or tell the server to put the set amount on each credit card. No figuring out who got what, etc.

Government employees, at least Federal government employees, are on a per diem. We get a certain amount per day to put on our travel reimbursement and do not have to turn in receipts etc. for meals. I falls under M&IE (meals and incidental expenses) and is a set amount based on where you are. (i.e., the M&IE is a lot higher in San Francisco than in Boise) They do reduce it if your meals are provided (such as lunch provided or breakfast provided at a conferenc) but it is a set amount per day or portion thereof.

When we are dining as a group (such as when my wine group gets together) we just split the amounts and either put it all in cash or tell the server to put the set amount on each credit card. No figuring out who got what, etc.

About two weeks ago I had a a party of 9 all ask me for separate checks. Not putting different amounts on each card but actually splitting the ticket into 9 different tickets. The lowest check was 12 something, the highest 15 something. I mean c'mon you all just had the same freaking thing??!!

Anyways the thing that servers hate most about splitting checks isn't necessarily splitting them all but there is ALWAYS and I mean always 1-2 people who don't tip when it is split. It is a strange phenomenon. I am talking 98 percent of the times I have split checks there has been at least one person who leaves like 5 percent or nothing. I think it is this mentality of not being noticed like in a one on one situation. When different amounts are put on credit cards for one check it is different because everyone at the table will usually see the final total. But when they are all split into seperate checks the cheap person has that individual check that they can just draw that line through the tip and slide it down on the table unnoticed, someone always tries to sneak by.

I think there are a good number of people who hate tipping, it is just like nails on a chalkboard to them and the only reason they do it is because of the social embarassment factor. They don't want the waiter thinking they are cheap or their date or friends etc. But when you split checks for a party of 6 or more it gives them enough anonymity to just not do it. The waiter will have six checks and not know which one was which person. Your friends will never see what you left and no one will ever know what you just did. I think that is why waiters really hate splitting checks. With the new computer systems it really isn't THAT hard. It's a slight annoyance but really isn't so bad that you would get pissed off just about that.

Another thing that we get nailed on is when a party splits up a single check via payment (IE here is 80 dollars in cash, put 20 dollars on the amex and the balance (15$) on the visa.) Well a good percentage of the time you pick up the checks to find the Amex left you 4 dollars and the Visa left you 3. Good tips, if you don't look at the bigger picture and realize you just got 7 dollars on $115 check. That happens a lot but not as much as the first scenario which is almost a guarantee.

Another thing that we get nailed on is when a party splits up a single check via payment (IE here is 80 dollars in cash, put 20 dollars on the amex and the balance (15$) on the visa.) Well a good percentage of the time you pick up the checks to find the Amex left you 4 dollars and the Visa left you 3. Good tips, if you don't look at the bigger picture and realize you just got 7 dollars on $115 check. That happens a lot but not as much as the first scenario which is almost a guarantee.

In my (admittedly not that extensive) experience as a server, this happened far more frequently than the "anonymous no tip" scenario, especially if the group was sufficiently drunk and nobody made sure that the person(s) paying with cc tipped on the whole amount. Really, really, really annoying, especially since in most cases you'd like to think the group would've given a decent tip if they had all just chipped in cash.

Also, the bar I worked at had a "no splitting checks for parties over 6 people" policy, so there weren't as many instances where I would've encountered the "anonymous no tip" scenario, thank goodness.

It rarely happens, but once, a long time ago, the "very thrifty" guy was last to leave, and he got stuck with

some things that were not his. He was very, very unhappy.

The joke was on us, since there was no tip, and the whole situation was a mess. Everyone in the group

got blacklisted.

Back in the days of my yute, I worked at a fairly classy restaurant in Columbus OH that had a cheap "business lunch" special M-F. Invariably, the office workers who showed up would have the special and an iced tea on seperate checks despite the fact that each one came out to the exact same amount of $8.96 (that number is burned onto my brain). Probably 75% of these asshats left an even $10 with the idea that it covered a tip.

"One dollar and FOUR CENTS" in the words of Navin Johnson...

I wouldn't want to work in an office with people whom I felt I'd need to sweat over nickels and dimes. What goes around comes around. It all comes out in the wash. [insert favorite adage here].

On the other side of this coin, I was with a group of chemical company representatives at a dinner meeting in Ames, Iowa back in the 80s. The special that night was, curiously, steak, and that was six bucks—but it included a cup of soup, salad and coffee. When the check came, and even with a few beers each, it was about $100 for eight of us. Realizing that the company beancounters would never believe that you could spend that little on dinner, we decided to leave cash for double what we owed and get receipts for $25 each. We were about ten feet out the door when the waitress ran out and said, “Guys, you left too much money!” We told her that it was well-deserved and wished her a good semester. She thanked us and said, “So when are you coming back?” Being generous to a fault has its rewards.

And they stiffed the waitress:
"Taking into consideration the fact that [mathematical physicist]Hideo [Akuri]'s Cajun Chicken Littles were primarily made up of dark matter, the waitress's low kinetic energy, above-average mass, and weak attractive force, we devised a formula in which we moved the subtotal's decimal point one place to the left," Dreyfuss said.

I used to dine out every Saturday night with the same group, ranging on any given Saturday from 5 people to 15.

Splitting the check was always parlous because one of the oldest members of the group ALWAYS left about half what he owed and refused to come clean when pressed, and invariably stiffed not only the waitress, but the rest of us.

Various techniques were used to pressure him into playing fair, but the one that worked was giving HIM his own check.

But I have a question. If everybody plans on using plastic, how do you divvy up?

But I have a question. If everybody plans on using plastic, how do you divvy up?
Just decide how much you want to put on your card and let the waiter know. If it is more than 3 I recommend writing the amounts down with your last names next to them. (just write it on the receipt)

The way to ensure that this never happens to you is to try to only go out with people who drink as much as you do, and have similar tipping habits, so that the bill isn't divided until the tip is figured in. Otherwise, no matter how good your intentions are, you risk looking like a jerk. Unless it's a business meal and there's no getting around it.

The way to ensure that this never happens to you is to try to only go out with people who drink as much as you do, and have similar tipping habits, so that the bill isn't divided until the tip is figured in. Otherwise, no matter how good your intentions are, you risk looking like a jerk. Unless it's a business meal and there's no getting around it.
Or pay the difference oneself in order to keep things smooth. It's not a big issue if the difference is small, and you know and like the people you're with.

Just decide how much you want to put on your card and let the waiter know. If it is more than 3 I recommend writing the amounts down with your last names next to them. (just write it on the receipt)
But that obviates the entire "fun" of splitting checks, namely, throwing money down into a pile so nobody knows what you paid. We always throw in a little extra, because someone else (who shall remain nameless) always throws less than his/her share, and it still winds up short.

With our best friends, we just take turns picking up the check.

In fairness to the cheapskate I am thinking about, he is a vegetarian and on the wagon, so has some justification, but he's still a cheapskate. The lack of reciprocity is a mild irritant in an otherwise pleasant individual.

A little pork belly would cure that.......

I will say, when I was vegan, my food bills really went down because I was not buying meat, fish, pork products, cheese, etc., so I can relate to cheapskateness. One of my favorite quotes goes something like this "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, its because I hate vegetables"

In fairness to the cheapskate I am thinking about, he is a vegetarian and on the wagon, so has some justification, but he's still a cheapskate. The lack of reciprocity is a mild irritant in an otherwise pleasant individual.

I think the issue is, then, whether you have agreed that you're splitting the check evenly among X number of people (which gives preference to big eating carnivorous alcoholics) or if everybody is estimating what they owe (which gives preference to vegetarian tee-totalling cheapskates). Neither is optimal, as my skewed perspectives show.

As a vegetarian (non-cheapskate) who doesn't drink much, I'll admit to resenting it when a group has a large variation in the total food/drink bill between individuals, but the big drinking, lobster eating, 4 course ordering folks don't think they should step up and say, "you know, I owe more than everybody else, let me pick up X". It's just another form of being a cheapskate (instead of pushing off your tightfistedness on the server, you're asking your friends to pick up a portion of your bill).

Another point in this discussion is the software the establishment is using. Many of the national chains are able to input the orders by the seat, thus can spit out a separate check without a problem, and have the server deliver the food to the right person. I have also requested, in advance, that if we are a large party requesting separate checks, that a 20% tip be added to everyone's bill. There are many reasons why you might have to request separte checks.

Another point in this discussion is the software the establishment is using. Many of the national chains are able to input the orders by the seat, thus can spit out a separate check without a problem, and have the server deliver the food to the right person. I have also requested, in advance, that if we are a large party requesting separate checks, that a 20% tip be added to everyone's bill. There are many reasons why you might have to request separte checks.
I mentioned that before. Unless you are at a place that still uses a ticket system (IE 2amys) any computer can fairly easily split the checks out. If it is a lot of people it can be a moderate headache but the problem is guarantee of at least one person skimping out on the tip.

And Ilaine the anonymity problem also doesn't really apply in the method I listed a few posts up either. What usually happens is someone grabs a pen and writes down "Anderson - $20, Jones - $25, etc. so USUALLY everyone knows what is going down already. For some reason when people do this they usually have already figured in the tip to those amounts. Must be some psychological thing.

To me (from a diner's standpoint, not the waiter) this whole discussion defeats the point because I just like the easiest, smoothest way for everyone because I don't feel like doing advanced calculus and wrangling money out of people and trying to figure out who is short at the end of a meal. We usually just take a look at the check, slide the decimal point to the left, multiply by two and add that to the total rounding up to the nearest round number and dividing by the number of people. This sounds complicated but being a waiter I can do this in my head in like 2 seconds. Then I tell everyone the amount and we all put that in. If we have people using credit cards we just give her each card and tell the waitress the amount also. (32 on each card please). My friends have used this method for awhile and no one has ever felt burned and the check seems to be figured out and paid without even interrupting the discussion we are having. And if someone has really stepped over the others (filet with a lobster tail add-on and 4 glasses of 15 dollar/glass wine) they usually just throw some extra cash into the pot or add some into the tip line onto their receipt for the server.

I guess I don't really hang out with too many cheapskates though so this kind of system works... If we argue it is usually someone trying to put more in because they feel bad for ordering more than everyone else.

I guess I don't really hang out with too many cheapskates though so this kind of system works... If we argue it is usually someone trying to put more in because they feel bad for ordering more than everyone else.

I'm with you here. The folks I tend to eat dinner with couldn't care less about a couple of dollars. Of course we don't let vegans eat with us, and if you don't drink something, you probably aren't in our crowd either.

The checks must be a-separated...

It's a crazy passion

It's a spreading disease

The cheaps are askin' for their check in a vacuum

Drinkin' nothin' with the greatest of ease

The drunks slake their thirst, 'fore and after

And if they catch you shirkin' then it never adds up,

If one guy's numbers and the others don't jibe

They're gonna snark it up, snark it up, snark it up, snark it up...

Hey - man you drinkin' iced tea?

Take it out

The checks must be a-separated.

Hey - man your beers are not free!

Take him out

Hey they don't pay no tip

If my check is not mine, I will be giving you some lip.

Hey, come let me pay.

By the time you see the charges

It's already too late

One slaps down a five and another a ten

First guy's tipsy and the other's a waste

Take it out

Take him out

Hey, come let me pay.

It goes down the same as all the meals before

No one's getting sober

No one pay any more

Your evening drinking up the wine and whiskey and marc

Is gonna bleed yourself skint, bleed yourself skint, bleed yourself...

Take it out

Take him out

Hey, come let me pay.

It's just a shame that we had more service issues to distract us from the wonderful food. Here are the basics: before ordering anything, we request separate checks. Server says "Not a problem, and hey, thanks so much for being courteous and asking beforehand." We proceed to enjoy a lot of food and beverages. Restaurant gets busier and server disappears for long stretches. Server reappears only to tell me that he can't do separate checks after all because he's too busy with his other tables, and then he runs away before I can even get a response out. I go to the host stand and ask to speak to a manager; I explain that we had been told that separate checks would be no problem. Manager's response: "Well, we have a policy not to do separate checks on large tables." I responded that I was unaware of that (unwritten, as far as I could tell on the menu) policy, and that the server had agreed to do it for us. Manager's response: "Well, I don't know why he would have said that." I responded that WHY he said it was largely irrelevant - he said it, and then he took it back at the last possible minute. She said she'd see what she could do, and a LONG while later, we got separate checks...that were all incorrect. We decided to just work it out amongst ourselves, but once we collected everyone's payments, we had to wait and eventually flag down another manager to run the cards. Again, we waited a LONG time - so long, in fact, that I believe the beer sommelier came over and asked what was going on - and then HE had to go flag down the cards. We finally got everything squared away, and nearly three and a half hours after our 6:30 reservation, we were leaving.

If the server had told us up front that separate checks wouldn't be feasible, or if the manager had responded to my concerns in a non-argumentative manner, I think we would have left B&B with a much more favorable impression. The way things were handled, our group felt like the money we spent there just wasn't appreciated - like they were doing us a favor by letting us eat there.

I hate to be the jerk here, but I firmly believe that any table of 8 who wants separate checks is bringing the bad karma on themselves. Any group old enough to go to a beer joint should be able to figure out how to take care of a check without quadrupling the amount of work (not just check stuff, total time and effort spent on a table) the waiter has to do and running up a red flag suggesting that -- statistically speaking,I realize that there are exceptions -- the table is populated with low-spending, poor-tipping whiners. I'm sure your group was one of those exceptions, but there are few worse ways to begin an intimate relationship with John, who will be your server for the night, than asking for eight separate checks.

I hate to be the jerk here, but I firmly believe that any table of 8 who wants separate checks is bringing the bad karma on themselves. Any group old enough to go to a beer joint should be able to figure out how to take care of a check without quadrupling the amount of work (not just check stuff, total time and effort spent on a table) the waiter has to do and running up a red flag suggesting that -- statistically speaking,I realize that there are exceptions -- the table is populated with low-spending, poor-tipping whiners. I'm sure your group was one of those exceptions, but there are few worse ways to begin an intimate relationship with John, who will be your server for the night, than asking for eight separate checks.

Another variable occurred to me: was there a policy of automatic gratuity for a party of say 6 or more? Again, not saying your group would be guilty of this, but I used to work in an Irish pub that got a lot of tour groups/conventioneers and the first thing some groups would ask for is separate checks so they don't get the automatic surcharge. The collective tips on the separate checks never seemed to work out well and after a certain number of these tables, I as a server would groan inwardly whenever I heard the separate check request. Maybe this colored your service experience ...

Another variable occurred to me: was there a policy of automatic gratuity for a party of say 6 or more? Again, not saying your group would be guilty of this, but I used to work in an Irish pub that got a lot of tour groups/conventioneers and the first thing some groups would ask for is separate checks so they don't get the automatic surcharge. The collective tips on the separate checks never seemed to work out well and after a certain number of these tables, I as a server would groan inwardly whenever I heard the separate check request. Maybe this colored your service experience ...

Wait, seriously? People ask this for this stated reason? I get people in parties large enough to get the automatic gratuity who ask for separate checks, but never so that they can dodge the gratuity.

......not that it matters, anyway, because I can (and do) share the gratuity across each check so as not to get screwed. Separate checks does not mean separate parties.

Wait, seriously? People ask this for this stated reason? I get people in parties large enough to get the automatic gratuity who ask for separate checks, but never so that they can dodge the gratuity.

......not that it matters, anyway, because I can (and do) share the gratuity across each check so as not to get screwed. Separate checks does not mean separate parties.

Let's also remember that, at least according to bettyjoan (whom I'm inclined to believe, having first heard the story from her later that night), she was originally told this was possible. If it was not allowed, then the server shouldn't have said it was. Betty notes that the group would have dealt with it and was trying to head off the later awkwardness by asking up front. This was a business group; I think the issue was less about avoiding gratuity and more about avoiding the inevitable algebra of bill-splitting (sometimes awkward even among friends, a little less comfortable among work colleagues). I doubt any of them specifically hoped to stiff the server on the tip.

(fuzzy510, I'm also with you on splitting the tip among the split checks; if there's a set gratuity for a large party, a lot of systems let you put that onto each check. Don't know what their system is, but it definitely seems like something that could be worked around...)

We're starting to get nitpicky and this conversation probably will have to jump ship out of the B&B thread at some point, but I do see pros and cons to splitting the check. I'm usually of the opinion that it's easiest to do it all in one, but for a business group who is possibly getting meal reimbursement at the end of a trip anyway, at least a few separate checks isn't unreasonable. (Maybe individual checks for each at the table would be going a bit far, but I'm not sure where I'd draw the line ...)

With groups of conventioneers or work colleagues the separate check thing is often a byproduct of per diem tracking and receipt requirements for expense reports. Blame the bean counters.

When I know I'll be in a situation such as this I like to carry cash as much as possible ...

I hate to be the jerk here, but I firmly believe that any table of 8 who wants separate checks is bringing the bad karma on themselves.

I tend to agree with Waitman on this one.

Did the server screw up by promising something that ultimately wasn't delivered? Yup. However, in my mind, if you're going to a place like B&B I think asking to have separate checks (regardless of party size) is bad form to begin with.

I knew I was going to get some flak for this, but in my (our) defense, the Federal Government has pretty nitpicky standards about how you can use your travel card. For example, even if everyone at the table is an employee of my agency and also on per diem, I am not allowed to just say, "Hey, to be easy on the server, I'll just pay for everyone and you can get me back later." Personally, I always just draw cash out of the ATM for my whole trip, but I can't force everyone to do that - lots of people feel uncomfortable carrying that much money in their wallets.

At the end of the day, I just wanted to make sure that those who were paying with their government card and sticking to the per diem would be able to follow the rules and avoid audit troubles. I suppose if we were told that we couldn't do separate checks, we would have had to plunk down both cash and credit cards and do the whole bit where you write your last name and how much you want charged. I wonder which one actually takes more time for the server? Granted, it's been a while since I worked at a place as busy as B&B, but I recall that large parties just flat out took longer overall, regardless of how they wanted to pay.

As for how many checks we asked for total, the answer is 6 - my husband and I were together on one tab, and two of my colleagues were together because one was paying for the other as a birthday gift. Two of those six checks were paid by credit card. Many of those who paid with cash needed change. So, again, I'm not sure that one check would have taken much less time for the server, but it certainly would have made a big difference to us in our post-travel accounting. I'm not saying that the customer should always get everything he/she wants, no exceptions - but certainly, those establishments that go out of their way to accomodate reasonable requests are those that succeed.

I can tell you that there was no autogratuity on our checks at the end, though I don't know if that was because it couldn't be done or the server/manager just forgot. I can also tell you that I left 20% on the after-tax total (not trying to brag or get on the high horse, but trying to convey that I have been in the server's shoes and I tend not to be punitive with my tips except in the most egregious of situations). I am appalled that people would split checks to get out of leaving a tip, but I guess nothing surprises me anymore.

Maybe it's just surprising to me that, in all of my (many) recent business travels with this same group, this was the first glitch with getting separate checks and paying the bill.

Seperate checks are just a horrendous time killer for servers.

A credit card authorization for a single check might take 15 seconds start to finish, excluding little things like the time it takes human beings to stay organized, put the receipts in folios with pens, keep the correct cards with the correct receipts, go to the bar for change, etc. etc.. Multiply that times six, and your at a utopian minute and a half is now ten minutes, easy.

And in a busy restaurant at peak time, 10 minutes off the floor is death.

The only thing you could have done worse is to order 8 hot teas, and then ask for six seperate checks. This would make most waiters suicidal.

But you know what? It's part of the biz. Betty Joan did nothing wrong by asking for seperate checks. It isn't a comment on her or her guests maturity, worldliness, or station in life. At that moment, in those circumstances, she and her guests needed seperate checks. B&B said OK, so no harm, no foul, they should have been ready to follow through, even if it meant the manager spending 10 minutes seperating and closing all of the checks while the waiter took care of his other guests. Just my $.02.

If this was all about splitting things up for per diem reasons (and knowing I am obtusely ignorant about these requirements) -- couldn't you all still have gotten a single check and split it up and asked for 8 copies of the tab so everyone could circle what they ordered to satisfy their individual bean counters?

Seperate checks are just a horrendous time killer for servers.

If you want to get right down to it, so are customers. Maybe they should have gone elsewhere and saved the restaurant the trouble? :)

I waited tables all through high school back when we were still "waitresses." Working in a service industry can be great, or it can be awful, but the key word was and is "service." I agree with B.A.R. that the manager should have made this right.

If this was all about splitting things up for per diem reasons (and knowing I am obtusely ignorant about these requirements) -- couldn't you all still have gotten a single check and split it up and asked for 8 copies of the tab so everyone could circle what they ordered to satisfy their individual bean counters?

The problem is the paying part, not the receipt part.

My company just switched to more FedGov-like standards. That means if a group of us goes out to lunch, and one person pays for it - he's only getting his per diem back. He can't expense the whole thing. So unless we give him money, he's SOL.

If you'd like my thoughts on that, ask me in private - I won't put it in print.

You would think in Washington where this happens (for per diem reasons) often people would be a little more understandable. I completely understand that it takes more time and is annoying, but one reason why our city often fairs better than others in times of hardship or boom times, is the money from the Federal Governments presence. So I think it needs to be accepted if you want that business you gotta accept those hoops. And if you don't want to: put it in writing on the bottom of the menu or when someone asks, don't say you can! But then don't expect the business of those types of people.

I never carry cash, unless I know I am going to something/place that I need cash for and my husband isn't going along. I don't like having a large amount of cash in my wallet. And sorry, but I am young and have grown up using debit cards for everything at this point. I can keep track of my balance much better by remembering my debits than drawing cash out and only using that, plus then I would end up paying huge amounts of ATM withdrawal fees for every time I wanted to buy something last minute. I normally can go out with people where we just split the check on two cards or three cards. But I am also a lot more likely to spend much more money if I can use my debit card. Big groups always get messy, and I too wonder if it takes all that much more time if you are running multiple cards anymore anyway? I guess if you want to put on an auto tip you could keep it on if you are just running cards on the same tab? Couldn't you put an auto-tip on each individual separate check of a big party?

I suppose I can find it in my heart to cut bureaucrats on per diem a little slack, especially since I am one now, though not the traveling sort.

I don;t have a ton of sympathy for people who won't carry cash, especially if you know you're going to be dining in a large group and need to settle up. At some point early on it becomes a pain not only for the waiter but for everyone at the table. Splitting the check down the middle -- or even three ways (beyond that it gets silly) -- and having the waiter just run equal but not separate checks works.

In my experience servers are as lazy anyone, and like any will bitch and moan about the extra work a gang of separate checks imposes. And, you know, screw that. The real problem, though, is that restaurant owner -- trying to minimize pay -- and waiters -- trying to maximize tips -- tend to staff a restaurant so that when it's busy, the server pretty much has all the tables he or she can handle. So, when you ask for six checks on a busy night (don't know if that applies here) the server is pissed off because he or she has six other things to be doing instead of juggling checks, orders, credit cards and what have you six ways to Sunday. And the other tables are pissed because they;re waiting for their beer. And the chef is yelling "tell that asshole to PICK UP!" So it's not just a question of laziness, it's a question of potentially pushing someone into the weeds on a busy night.

Also -- and this is unfortunate for people but BettyJoan's position, but also scientifically proven through years of experience -- separate check people tend towards the tightwad end of the scale and tend to get welcomed accordingly. Not right, but it is human nature.

Splitting the check down the middle -- or even three ways (beyond that it gets silly) -- and having the waiter just run equal but not separate checks works.

To the party that recently asked me AFTER I dropped the check to split their check 11 ways: please take note.

The problem is the paying part, not the receipt part.

My company just switched to more FedGov-like standards. That means if a group of us goes out to lunch, and one person pays for it - he's only getting his per diem back. He can't expense the whole thing. So unless we give him money, he's SOL.

If you'd like my thoughts on that, ask me in private - I won't put it in print.

I guess it'd still be a pain for a server to run 8 credit cards. But perhaps npt as bad as 8 checks and 8 credit cards. It all sucks it seems, but then all 8 people could come in and sit separately taking up twice as much space, too, no? ;-p