While it doesn't really qualify as a restaurant, Grover and I had dinner last evening with a friend who just happened to have some mango pickles he'd brought back from India. Really nice contrast between the sweet mango and counterpoint of spicy red chili paste they were pickled in. I understand they are available at Patels in Vienna and I plan on finding out this weekend.

While it doesn't really qualify as a restaurant, Grover and I had dinner last evening with a friend who just happened to have some mango pickles he'd brought back from India. Really nice contrast between the sweet mango and counterpoint of spicy red chili paste they were pickled in. I understand they are available at Patels in Vienna and I plan on finding out this weekend.

What brand?

Mmmmm....pickles. Nothing like some pickles mixed in with a little dal (lentils) and rice. :o

My mom always buys Bedekar brand pickles. They're made in Bombay, unlike most other brands in American stores (e.g. Patak's is made in the UK). Some of the Indian stores around Takoma Park import Bedekar pickles and I would suggest you give those a shot - the lime and mango pickles are my favorite.

Any desi's on the list (as if I could call myself that...) want to chime in? Anyone have real recipes for pickles?