Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern

Tweaked

Has anyone been watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, on the Travel Channel?

While it tends to lean on the watch me eat bugs and organ meats, he brings a wide eyed school boy enthusiasm with a twist of Three Stooges charm to the show. I particularly enjoy his tours of different city food markets, his journey through the Jemma El Fna in Marrakech looked awesome, and last night's trips through Madrid and Barcelona were fun.

I caught the pilot of this show (Asia) earlier last summer (what was re-aired as the pilot again a few weeks ago). I assumed it was a one off and was glad to see it back as a series. Travel Channel is airing better food shows than FN nowadays ....

much of the food on this show looks good and is not as bizarre as andrew zimmern makes it out to be. i'd probably stay away from the sheep eyeballs, though, because i don't like the texture of lenses, and i have virtually no experience eating insects except for alkali fly pupae from the edge of mono lake, which were every bit as good and nutty as the ranger said they would be. they would make a nice snack accompanied by a bottle of muscadet.

i haven't seen the show on spain yet, but will be interested in what kind of build-up the baby eels get. i only had them once, in barcelona, and most squeamish diners would rave about them if they were blindfolded and told they were eating noodles.

maybe for the second season, the show can move to the food network with rachel ray as the wacky sidekick. we're going to make a fly eater of her yet! yummo! (when you're in the souk, do what the locals do and look for the offal. i got this whole roasted sheep's head for only $5 and you can eat everything, even the tongue, and oh, man, wait till you taste this ear fat! what's not to like about that!)

I like this show. The thing that I like best is that he does not let politeness or political correctness invade his reviews. If he doesn't like something (like the rotted "mystery" meat breakfast in Morocco), he lets the viewer know it.

yes that is one thing that annoys me about all the FN travel shows, no matter what the host (ie: Rachel Ray) is like "This is the best thing ever."

After eating bull testicles, eels, cow brain etc. in Spain, Zimmern drinks some Horchata and basically can't stand it...I believe he calls it revolting

I caught a bit of this last night.

I think the host was pretty engaging and the show was interesting at points for sure. The angulas (baby eels) were served at Botin in Madrid and approached as if they were quite strange. I dunno, eel is pretty standard sushi fare and i'm not sure why it's any more "bizaare" in the case of these delicious little guys.

I'm not sure how I feel about shows like this though. I guess Bourdain started it, but his shows have seemed to have more in-depth exploration of the cultures surrounding, say, the consumption of raw seal by the Inuit.

With this one I feel it's a bit more like, "hey let's travel the world and check out the gross stuff these weird people eat!"

I'm not sure what purpose it really serves other than to make Americans say "eeeeewwww!!"

My personal goal is to eat like it's a Bizarre Food episode

Interesting note, after the discussion elsewhere about jackfruit and durian. I recall an episode of Bizarre Food where Andrew, the guy who slurps down eyeballs and happily crunches on various insects and arachnids actually gagged on fresh durian and could not get it down.

Interesting note, after the discussion elsewhere about jackfruit and durian. I recall an episode of Bizarre Food where Andrew, the guy who slurps down eyeballs and happily crunches on various insects and arachnids actually gagged on fresh durian and could not get it down.

That is one of very few things Andrew could not stomach. I also recall he barely touched the really stinky tofu in Taiwan.

Last night's season opener has Andrew going to bumfuck Thailand, aka, Isan. In the entire episode, I don't think he ate a single thing that I would want to try - okay, maybe the grilled field rat looks edible. But dung beatlles, mole rats, bovine bile, etc.?

Someone's else's recap with photos

it was absolutely revolting -- a puke feast! bile sauce? eating the raw contents of the stomach of a just slaughtered cow? a salad with leaping shrimp? fish that has rotted for three days?

Thai fish sauce is fish that has "rotted" for a year. Blachang is the pasty solids left behind. Yum!

but the fish flesh zimmern was eating was putrid. the texture looked disgusting. i fairly recently ran into a small group of vultures along the river who were feeding on washed up fish that looked just as tasty. they thought it was good and were reluctant to give it up even long enough to let me pass, which i did as fast as possible to avoid the stench.

The Baja episode was interesting. The seafood cocktail he had reminded me of this dish I ordered at Pancho Villa (in Fredericksburg) on the way to VA Beach. I went back for their menudo but this sounded freakishly weird that I ordered it:

VUELVE A LA VIDA

Mexican style shrimp and oyster cocktail with fresh slices of avocados, tomatoes, onions, and cilantro

The cooked shrimp turned out to be the worst part (overcooked and rubbery) but the cocktail with slimy oysters and avocados was delicious.

Can someone explain what "nutty" tastes like? Andrew describes many things as nutty, including in the Baja episode, bone marrow. I know what bone marrow tastes like and I don't get how it's "nutty"? The seafood cocktail concept is nutty - eating squid stuffed with balls is nutty, brain tacos, blood tacos, etc. all sound nutty - but they don't taste nutty!

Can someone explain what "nutty" tastes like? Andrew describes many things as nutty, including in the Baja episode, bone marrow. I know what bone marrow tastes like and I don't get how it's "nutty"? The seafood cocktail concept is nutty - eating squid stuffed with balls is nutty, brain tacos, blood tacos, etc. all sound nutty - but they don't taste nutty!

It's a bit nutty

Nothing troubled me in the Buenos Aires episode. I think everything looked great and I really want to go try their food but I can't imagine eating at a parilla every day.

While tasty it does get monotonous.

OK -- Not a big fan of "Buzzfeed" [prefer Clickhole when I need to waste some time], but here are some "vintage recipes" that are the stuff of nightmares:

Jul 19, 2007 - "Yes, It's a Liver Sausage Pineapple" on turkeysandwich.wordpress.com

Screenshot 2018-09-12 at 10.03.49.png

Just imagine the horror of expecting something pineapple-flavored and instead getting a mix of liverwurst, mayo, and Worcestershire. IMAGINE.