The 2007 RAMMY Awards

crackers

The 2007 RAMMY nominees were announced tonight.

The winners will be announced on June 17.

NEW RESTAURANT of the YEAR:

Blue Duck Tavern

PS 7

Rasika

BLT Steak

Farrah Olivia

FINE DINING:

CityZen

Komi

Restaurant Eve

Vidalia

INFORMAL DINING:

Bangkok54

Corduroy

La Chaumiere

Pesce

Tallula

CHEF of the YEAR:

Cathal Armstrong (Eve)

Yannick Cam (Le Paradou)

RJ Cooper (Vidalia)

Robert Wiedmaier(Marcel's)

Eric Ziebold (CityZen)

EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR:

Chris Kelley (bartender, Mie N Yu)

Dave Voorhees (waiter, 2941)

Jonathan Crayne (captain, Marcel's),

Apolinario Flores (cook, Chef Geoff's)

Jennifer Roe (maitre d', DC Coast)

PASTRY CHEF:

Kate Jansen, Willow Restaurant

Steve Klc, Think Food Group

Naomi Gallego, PS7

Huw Griffiths, Tabard Inn

Tom Wellings,Maestro

WINE & BEVERAGE Program:

Michel Richard Citronelle

Restaurant Eve

2941 Restaurant

Taberna del Alabardero

Vidalia

MANAGER of the YEAR:

Ellen Kasoff Gray, Equinox

Emily Jarmuth, Mie NYu

Pual (PJ) Kern, Charlie Palmer Steak

Christine de Clerfay, Oceanaire Seafood Room

Paco Pena, Taberna del Alaberdero

RISING CULINARY STAR:

Nathan Beauchamp, 1789

Amy Brandwein, Bebo Trattoria

Mark Hellyer, Blue Duck Tavern

Barton Seaver, Cafe Saint-Ex

Tony Conte, The Oval Room

The next awards will be voted by the public. Go to www.ramw.org or look for a ballot in the May 20 Washington Post Magazine.

NEIGHBORHOOD GATHERING PLACE:

Ardeo

Busboys & Poets

Hank's Oyster Bar

Sonoma Restaurant & Wine Bar

Willow Restaurant

HOTTEST BAR SCENE:

EatBar

Mate

Oya

Urbana

Zaytinya

POWER SPOT:

Bistro Bis

Charlie Palmer Steak

Georgia Brown's

Oceanaire Seafood Room

Oval Room

PEOPLE'S FAVORITE: selected by the public

Not that anyone or any place with which I'm acquainted doesn't deserve to be on the list, but boy, if there was ever a "round up the usual suspects" announcement, this is it.
Broadly true, I guess, but surely Maestro and Citronelle would be among the usual fine-dining suspects?

So is CitiZen and Maestro. Your point?
I realized after rereading that that I didn't really say what I meant to say it's in a hotel- it's catering to the entire set of hotel guests and tends to be a less formal setting than CityZen and Maestro. For example wearing jeans into Courdory might be considered acceptable, but at CityZen and Maestro it would be completely unacceptable.

I realized after rereading that that I didn't really say what I meant to say it's in a hotel- it's catering to the entire set of hotel guests and tends to be a less formal setting than CityZen and Maestro. For example wearing jeans into Courdory might be considered acceptable, but at CityZen and Maestro it would be completely unacceptable.

that still doesnt make Corduroy informal restaurant. you wont see any of the servers at Corduroy wearing jeans and tshirts and serving people.

I wonder if those people were on crack when they nominate Corduroy in this class ?

that still doesnt make Corduroy informal restaurant. you wont see any of the servers at Corduroy wearing jeans and tshirts and serving people.

I wonder if those people were on crack when they nominate Corduroy in this class ?

They posted the criteria for each category on the RAMW web site. For Informal it says:

"Informal Dining Restaurant of the Year

The nominee is a restaurant that demonstrates a high standard of dining excellence. The nominee must have been in

business a minimum of two years by December 1, 2006. The average per person check is $49 or under for an appetizer,

entrée and dessert."

While it is possible to slide in at under $49, that is the exception, not the rule at Corduroy. My single guest(dinning alone, hotel guest) average is somewhat more than that. At least I find this nomination to be offensive and at worst I belive it shows RAMW to be out of touch with it's members.

While it is possible to slide in at under $49, that is the exception, not the rule at Corduroy. My single guest(dinning alone, hotel guest) average is somewhat more than that. At least I find this nomination to be offensive and at worst I belive it shows RAMW to be out of touch with it's members.

Seeems an odd thing to get your knickers in a twist about. La Chamiere isn't exactly Pizza Hut, either. And you see a lot of sport coats at Pesce as well, though it's clearly got more of a cafe vibe.

(Must be those tourists in sneakers and gimme hats in the bar that give the place its informal feel). :o

Seeems an odd thing to get your knickers in a twist about.

I can see where Ferhat (especially, given his personal stake in the argument) is coming from on this one, though. Corduroy is often overlooked or, if it is noticed, is denigrated for its decor and location and lack of presence. Calling it a 'casual' restaurant just further muddles its identity.

I mean this in the least snarky way possible: Other than those in the restaurant business, do the Rammy's mean anything to the general public? Does winning a Rammy help business? Does anyone (other than the winner) remember who won last year?

In my opinion RAMMY helps a business boost the sales alittle. After all it is free advertisement. and being in this and winning this makes it better.

that is the only help it can do.

otherwise it doesnt mean anything since this is DC and the more connections you have the more Rammy for you.

I can see where Ferhat (especially, given his personal stake in the argument) is coming from on this one, though. Corduroy is often overlooked or, if it is noticed, is denigrated for its decor and location and lack of presence. Calling it a 'casual' restaurant just further muddles its identity.

Last time I tried to overlook Cordury it was looking back at me from #14 on the list of Washingtonian's Top 100 restaurants, and its spot as a "Delicious Deal" on Sietsema's even more exclusive Fall Dining guide (47 members, by my count). And now a RAMMY nom. "Fine dining" it certainly is, in the larger sense; "informal" it may or may not be, in the RAMMY sense; overlooked -- it doesn't seem to be (to the credit of a great team).

I have to say, the reason my 'panties are in a bunch' about this is because I spend 55-60 hours a week giving 100% to a fine dinning resturant. To be nominated out of catagorie is a slap in the face to my co-workers that put in just as much, if not more hard work. We get enough grief already from people showing up in shorts or flip flops when they are told about our dress code( yes there is a dress code). Many of our patrons complain when they see jeans in the dinning room.Maybe the white table cloths, prompt and attentive service, and attention to detail from chef to busboy mean nothing? What are we all working so hard for if we are a casual concept? Chef Power leads a team of people that have made the resturant industry a career, not part time actors or students. And we have been collectively told by RAMW that our best is casual dinning.

What are we all working so hard for if we are a casual concept? Chef Power leads a team of people that have made the resturant industry a career, not part time actors or students. And we have been collectively told by RAMW that our best is casual dinning.
Very well said. I was surprised to see Corduroy in this category.

I have to say, the reason my 'panties are in a bunch' about this is because I spend 55-60 hours a week giving 100% to a fine dinning resturant. To be nominated out of catagorie is a slap in the face to my co-workers that put in just as much, if not more hard work. We get enough grief already from people showing up in shorts or flip flops when they are told about our dress code( yes there is a dress code). Many of our patrons complain when they see jeans in the dinning room.Maybe the white table cloths, prompt and attentive service, and attention to detail from chef to busboy mean nothing? What are we all working so hard for if we are a casual concept? Chef Power leads a team of people that have made the resturant industry a career, not part time actors or students. And we have been collectively told by RAMW that our best is casual dinning.
It must be very frustrating for you. All this because you're not overpriced :o . I don't mean that to be glib. I certainly think of Corduroy as fine dining but when i recommend it, I often comment about what a great value it is for the quality of food and service at that price point.

I can't seem to find the "blowing kisses" emoticon. :o I suppose that it's very much a question of the "average" check. Between Tom Power and Michael Landrum, they provide fabulous food for much less than anybody else. Nobody else even comes close. I don't think the Rammy's has a category for that.

OT: When are the soft-shell crabs coming back????

And, before I retire from the field, in deferenece to the professionals, I will say again that I suspect the same dedication and professionalism can be found at the other restaurants nominated in that category (one can argue about which is "better", but it's difficult to dispute the dedication and professionalism of their staffs, in my experience). In fact, it doesn't appear the that Corduroy is being lumped in with TGI Fridays or or Temperance Hall, but with some well-respected and much-beloved places (none of which I would wear flip-flops to, all of which I would gladly eat at tonight).

After a couple of years where people on places like DR and eG expressed real fear that critical support and the patronage of a handful of dedicated foodies might not be enough to keep the the restaurant going -- especially given deep distrust of hotel landlords -- Corduroy has established itself in the popular mind as a top restaurant and critical reviews have, if anything, improved. And now there's a RAMMY. If I was flip in my commments, it was because it never occurred to me that the nomination was a slur or implied anything other than virtues you enumerate in your post. Like pretty much everyone, I suppose, I thought it shined a light on them, and it seemed like more good news. And, if I remain a bit confused, I apologize for giving offense.

Maybe the white table cloths, prompt and attentive service, and attention to detail from chef to busboy mean nothing? What are we all working so hard for if we are a casual concept? Chef Power leads a team of people that have made the resturant industry a career, not part time actors or students. And we have been collectively told by RAMW that our best is casual dinning.

Actually, it's "informal," not "casual." These words have different meanings.

And I think it's a real insult to intimate that people who work at casual--or "informal"--restaurants are all lazy, part-time actors who provide inattentive service with no attention to detail.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get why this is such an insult. You do all these things to some extent for sure, but I certainly consider the restaurant an informal restaurant. I guess when I look at Restaurant Eve vs. your restaurant I see a difference in formality for sure. You're getting nominated for an award and that's a good thing.

I guess when I look at Restaurant Eve vs. your restaurant I see a difference in formality for sure.
I only see this difference in the bar area, and it stems from clientele, not from service. In my opinion, the formality in the dining rooms is about the same.

New Restaurant of the Year: Rasika

Fine Dining Restaurant of the Year: CityZen

Informal Dining Restaurant of the Year: Tallula Restaurant

Chef of the Year: Cathal Armstrong, Restaurant Eve

Restaurant Employee of the Year: Dave Vorhees, waiter, 2941 Restaurant

Pastry Chef of the Year: Huw Griffiths, Tabard Inn

Wine and Beverage Program of the Year: Restaurant Eve

Restaurant Manager of the Year: Ellen Kassoff Gray, Equinox

Rising Culinary Star of the Year: Nathan Beauchamp, 1789 Restaurant

Neighborhood Gathering Place of the Year: Sonoma Restaurant and Wine Bar

Hottest Bar Scene of the Year: Zaytinya

Power Spot of the Year: Georgia Brown's