Mosaic Cuisine & Cafe, Rockville

I searched for places in rockville/bethesda, as I'm meeting up with family to go to Montgomery Mall for the Art Show. My cousin is in town showcasing the artwork from Ringo Starr (shameless plug) and I came up with this restaurant, but I couldn't find a mention of it anywhere on this site. Has anyone been? It looks like it might be a good option for brunch in the suburbs with family (you know, keep the cost down, have options for kids, and offer a variety from more healthy to not-so-much.) There are only so many times one can go to Clyde's, after all.

Unfortunate that the name, Mosaic Cusine & Cafe, does not give any kind of indication to what type of food they have. Their focus is supposedly waffles used in a unique way to form the bread for a sandwich. They also have more standard fare, and serve lunch and dinner as well. Sounds like they may be trying to do too many things, instead of doing one thing well...although we are not looking for fancy or gourmet, we just want a place to meet up and have some good grub that's not too expensive. It looks like they opened in '03 for breakfast and brunch, then added dinner later.

If we do end up here, I'll post our experience. But I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has tried it, or why I haven't heard word boo about it, good or bad, from anybody, not just on this board...and I forsee that could be the problem, that it is not worth mentioning. But knowing how difficult it is to find brunch places, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that is not the case.

But I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else has tried it, or why I haven't heard word boo about it, good or bad, from anybody, not just on this board...

Ol_ironstomach and I went for a quick lunch not long after Mosaic opened, and I'd say the reason you never read anything about it is that it ain't worth taking the time to write about. It's not good enough to share with the world, or bad enough to warn people away from, either. I remember thinking to keep it in mind for lunch, as I'm in that area often. But I never went back.

I don't recall what we ordered except for crepes Suzette. It's one of those old dinner party war horse dishes popular in my parents' time, but I love it. Mosaic's version was good enough, but again, I never went back.

That wasn't too helpful, was it.

It looks like it might be a good option for brunch in the suburbs with family (you know, keep the cost down, have options for kids, and offer a variety from more healthy to not-so-much.)

That's a very good description of what this place is. The food is fine, just don't lift your expectations too high. Think neighborhood café with a chance to have lunch/brunch and socialize. Don't expect to be raving or talking about the food too much afterwords, except maybe for the weird (but not gross) waffle sandwiches. The chef/owner is French. He worked many years at Ridgewells.

I just got back from an office holiday breakfast at this joint. Not bad. I tried the salmon waffle sandwich. The waffles are the lightest I've ever had and really delicious, but I was definitely short-changed on the smoked salmon and they shouldn't have even bothered with the mealy tomato slices. The owner was gregarious and folks enjoyed their bowls of cappuccino. That's right, they serve them in soup bowls.

Despite the salmon and tomatoes, I'd like to go back and try some other stuff. A lot of it at least looked good-- omelettes, crepes, etc.