Dogfish Head Beers

Chris W

I currently have a keg of Dogfish 60 minute on tap at the house.  great stuff.

When's the party?

I like most of the Dogfish and Clipper City stuff that I have tried. I also really like the Victory and Troeg beers.

However, for sheer sentimental purposes, I do need to find a 6er of Iron Shitty for the Super Bowl. Pounders. In cans.

Sorry kids the tapping party was last weekend which I think I'm still hung over from. We go through a keg a month if we can manage to throw three or so party's during that time. I don't think we will have a problem with this keg people love the Dogfish.

After a crowd of some 100 people killed off a fresh cask of Dogfish Head pumpkin ale at Rustico tonight, it was replaced by another cask of Lawnmower Light. This may have been the best locally-made cask ale I've tasted. Low in alcohol, and a great example of what a simple mix of malt, water, hops and yeast can do. Very well-balanced and a great session ale.

Just a warning...said Lawnmower Light cask was dry-hopped. Further investigation is necessary to see if the standard distillery, er, brewery bottling is as useful.

fwiw, I don't believe Lawnmower Light is bottled...it's generally only been available at the Rehoboth pub, although I imagine you can get it at Gaithersburg (and events like the Rustico thing).

Rustico's Rogue tap is currently Integrity IPA

Anybody had this? how does it compare to brutal bitter?

fwiw, I don't believe Lawnmower Light is bottled...it's generally only been available at the Rehoboth pub, although I imagine you can get it at Gaithersburg (and events like the Rustico thing).

It's not a bottled offering from DFH, only on tap as a seasonal. And I don't believe it's normally dry-hopped , although I admit I haven't had one in 5-6 years. When I'm at the pub in Rehoboth I'm usually drawn to other drafts :)

I also sprung to try the Dogfish Head 120 minute I.P.A. which disappointed the hell out of me - it was treacly-sweet! Most unexpected. Perhaps as a "dessert" beer it would be okay, but not with a burger.

Yea, 120 minute is too much sweet for me too. At that alcohol level (~%20 depending on the year), it's hard to balance out the ridiculous amount of sugar and the alcohol esters, no matter how much you hop it. Dogfish's World Wide Stout is much preferable, imo...the roastiness is a nice foil to the booze.

In other beer news, the Lagunitas tasting last night at the Brick was fuuuun. Some of their beers aren't to my taste (brown shugga in particular), but others are spot-on (Pils, IPA, barleywine). And the Brick has more character in that downstairs back room than all of RFD, so that was nice.

The girlfriend and I decided to attend this very interesting sounding event at "The Reef" last evening. We were pleasantly surprised by the energy and just all around good time we had. We both have enjoyed Dogfish Head beers in the past and we were not disappointed by their new beers at all to say the least.

Sam Calagione the owner, and a bunch of other brewers from the States (Sam Adams, Rogue etc.) took a trip to Belgium and when they sobered up and came back to the states this is the results of his inspiration, the "Red & White" and the "Black and Blue."

The Red & White is a Belgiun-style wit, and the Black & Blue is a belgian-style Strong ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries.

The girlfriend and I both have favorites with the Chimay's and Delirium's of the world and our most favorite with two big thumbs up was the Red & White. Try this when you can, you will not be disappointed.

Claus, the National Sales Manager was there and full of energy and knowledge as expected. Sam was there as well taking turns talking about everything under the sun, sharing stories to the group of about 30 beer lovers.

Brian the owner of the Reef was fun as always, chef Ken came out and prepared 4 courses trying to match to the beers. His best course was a two beet salad that with the vinegary beets matched amazingly well with the Dogfish Raison D'Etre.

Great evening, wish we could do more of these around here. :o

------

From their web site, the beer you must simply try

Red & White

Availability: Limited - 750 ml bottles

Release Date: February 2007

New in 2007!

A big, belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice. After fermentation a fraction of the batch is aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels, and another fraction is aged on oak staves. The beer is blended together before packaging.

This has been one of our most popular Limited Edition beers at both our Rehoboth Beach, DE brewpub and at festivals. It successfully marries the refreshing citrusy qualities of a Belgian-style white beer with the robust complexity of a bold red wine.

10% abv

From their web site, the beer you must simply try

Red & White

Availability: Limited - 750 ml bottles

Release Date: February 2007

New in 2007!

A big, belgian-style Wit brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with Pinot Noir juice. After fermentation a fraction of the batch is aged in Oregon Pinot Noir barrels, and another fraction is aged on oak staves. The beer is blended together before packaging.

This has been one of our most popular Limited Edition beers at both our Rehoboth Beach, DE brewpub and at festivals. It successfully marries the refreshing citrusy qualities of a Belgian-style white beer with the robust complexity of a bold red wine.

10% abv

We got this in earlier in the week. Haven't tried it yet, though. Big bottles, too.

We got this in earlier in the week. Haven't tried it yet, though. Big bottles, too.

It's interesting, as I pretty much expected it to be. A tad too sweet, almost cloying, to my tastes. Kinda picked up some powdered sugar-style sweetness rather than acidity or tannins from all that was done with it. I was hoping for something like Festina Lente, but got Lindeman's Framboise with some orange overtones instead.

It's interesting, as I pretty much expected it to be. A tad too sweet, almost cloying, to my tastes. Kinda picked up some powdered sugar-style sweetness rather than acidity or tannins from all that was done with it. I was hoping for something like Festina Lente, but got Lindeman's Framboise with some orange overtones instead.

Framboise is rather sweet, the bottle I tasted was more, Leffe meets Delerium with a little more sugar, I agree it was sweet. Finish is not spicey like a Chimay, but I wouldn't say Framboise sweet, it wasn't sickenly sweet like lambics but it resembles a Belgian still. This is their first attempt, so I enjoy the creativity of trying something new.

Framboise is rather sweet, the bottle I tasted was more, Leffe meets Delerium with a little more sugar, I agree it was sweet. Finish is not spicey like a Chimay, but I wouldn't say Framboise sweet, it wasn't sickenly sweet like lambics but it resembles a Belgian still. This is their first attempt, so I enjoy the creativity of trying something new.

I guess I was engaging in a little hyperbole. It's nowhere near as sweet as the Jolly Rancher inspired Lindeman's, but certainly sweeter than I was expecting from the description. I was hoping for something a bit dryer. I certainly don't regret trying it, which is what I usually say about DFH products. Worth getting if you're adventurous. You certainly won't find a comparable dessert wine or bubbly rose of this quality for ~$13.

I guess I was engaging in a little hyperbole. It's nowhere near as sweet as the Jolly Rancher inspired Lindeman's, but certainly sweeter than I was expecting from the description. I was hoping for something a bit dryer. I certainly don't regret trying it, which is what I usually say about DFH products. Worth getting if you're adventurous. You certainly won't find a comparable dessert wine or bubbly rose of this quality for ~$13.

I guess I'll have to sample it again with a cleaner palate as I don't recall it being of the demi sec/ Sauternes realm. I'll post my results, this may take weeks. :o

For all you hop heads out there.

Monday, March 26, 7pm to 11pm

RANDALL the Enamel Animal NIGHT!!!

Starting at 7pm, Birreria Paradiso will be pouring

"Randallized" Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

$6.25 per Pint

What is Randalized 90 min? I assume it's just 90 min being poured by someone else.

Nope. An invention of the brewery that has been around for a bit.

"Randall, a true Dogfish Head invention, is an organoleptic hop transducer module. A three-foot-long, cylinder-filter packed with a half a pound of whole leaf-hops that we affix to the beer line leaving a keg. The alcohol in the 90 Minute IPA grabs the oils off the hops in the Randall on the way to the tap-faucet inducing the most pungent and glorious fresh hop experience known to man (or woman)."

- Dogfish Head Brewery

This was released by Dogfish Head in February, but I'm just now getting around to trying it.

Here's the official brewery description:

10% abv

It's really very nice. I can taste the coriander and the orange peel, they aren't overwhelming, very well-integrated.

This was released by Dogfish Head in February, but I'm just now getting around to trying it.

Here's the official brewery description:

It's really very nice. I can taste the coriander and the orange peel, they aren't overwhelming, very well-integrated.

Glad you liked it Joe, I did as well. I posted a little something on it a while back

I haven't really hunted for it, but haven't seen it lying around either.

hmmm, weak...now there are 50 beer threads to keep track of rather than having one central location for quick posts of "this beer is good" "this beer on sale here" etc. etc.

Alors, à chacun son goût, n'est-ce pas?

(Don't shoot me -- I'm just the librarian! ;) )

The Dogfish Raison D'Etre has to be one of my favorite beers on the market today - it has a relatively light body for being a dark ale (still not wimpy by any means) and just enough of the sweetness of the raisin to make it interesting. Also popped a 4-pack of the Burton Baton over the weekend - not quite as complex of flavor, but they pack an ABV punch.

Any idea where one might find a bottle of "Chateau Jiahu"? This is Sam Calagione's attempt to recreate a fermented beverage from Neolithic China, based on an analysis of residues from a 9,000 year old clay pot. Humankind's oldest identified fermented beverage (at least for now), the contents of the pot were evidently brewed from rice, grapes, hawthorn berries, honey, and chrysanthemum flowers.

The Dogfish Head website indicates that this rarity was first released in 2006, but I must have missed that.

Any idea where one might find a bottle of "Chateau Jiahu"? This is Sam Calagione's attempt to recreate a fermented beverage from Neolithic China, based on an analysis of residues from a 9,000 year old clay pot. Humankind's oldest identified fermented beverage (at least for now), the contents of the pot were evidently brewed from rice, grapes, hawthorn berries, honey, and chrysanthemum flowers.

The Dogfish Head website indicates that this rarity was first released in 2006, but I must have missed that.

Check with Chevy Chase Liquor, which prides itself on its beer selection. Also, I'd talk to the beer manager at Rodman's Friendship Heights store--they seem to stock the higher end of the Dogfish line. I found the Palo Santo there last year, after reading about it in the New Yorker. Didn't like it (too dark, intense and syrupy for our taste), but satisfied our curiosity. At a fairly high cost...

So for those of you who like the 90 Minute IPA...

Bailey's in Ballston has a 22 ounce draft of it for $8.99 after tax.

That's not a bad deal at all, other than having to drink it at Bailey's.

(Personally, I found that much 90 Minute a bit cloying, but when I paired it with some Angry Orchard cider it was a fantastic combo. Also, it kicked my butt.)