Anonymous Trashings

Waitman

Review on dcist.com here.

Frankly, I'm amazed at some of the comments at the bottom. The sense of entitlement that is developing truly astounds me.

It's time for another dr.com event at RK - even if it's just a HH on a whim. I'm craving some good charcuterie.

The first rule of trashing a restaurant: try to do so in a way that dosen't make it absolutely clear that no matter what happened at dinner, you, the ranter, were clearly the biggest asshole in the zip code at the time.

And put me down for the charcuterie.

I'm in.

From the comments - this is some of the stupidest shit I've read in a long time:

The idea of eating a meal on a butcher's board doesn’t sound appealing. Wood is quite porous. Since a butcher block cannot be sealed or varnished, bacteria from meats and foodstuff is absorbed and a great place to flourish. And with the quality of sanitation in the restaurant industry today, I will stick with good old fashion glass plates.
First of all, it's "old-fashioned," dickhead. And second, there's quite a lot of this information out there. The Google is your friend.

edited to fix the link.

I'm in.

From the comments - this is some of the stupidest shit I've read in a long time:First of all, it's "old-fashioned," dickhead. And second, there's quite a lot of this information out there. The Google is your friend.

edited to fix the link.

This is the stupidest shit I've read (it was in today's Post) in a long time: "One recommnedation [for avoiding salmonella] for frying sunny-side-up eggs is to flip them so both sides get cooked."

I think that reccomendation came from the cutting board guy. :blink:

If we are not allowed to to give our opinion free from the glare of public and press coverage, the quality of our advice to the President other people killing time at work would decline and national security the quality of lunch might could suffer.

Can dickweeds be prepared like dandelion greens? Maybe a hot bacon dressing...

On a more serious note, this board seems to avoid clearly insane commenters. Is there an essay question for new members that helps weed them out?

I think it helps having to identify yourself to a moderator before being able to post.

On a more serious note, this board seems to avoid clearly insane commenters. Is there an essay question for new members that helps weed them out?

No, that's Gastreaux's job.

I think there's also a little something called a delete button.

No essay question. Our posts get deleted at the speed of light.

OOOPS

---

:blink:

Edited by DonRocks

No, but Don requires you to perform a certain trick in a restaurant--undetected and without the need for fluffers.

How typical is this kind of comment from one server about another server--or one sous chef about the quality of food while dining out? That is, from those who post anonymously while identifying themselves as being professionals in the restaurant business?

How typical is this kind of comment from one server about another server--or one sous chef about the quality of food while dining out? That is, from those who post anonymously while identifying themselves as being professionals in the restaurant business?

My bet is that they are making it up to try and provide some credibility to their comment. I always have fun imagining how the events actually transpired.

There is something a little stalkerish about someone who would cut and paste a two-year-old rant entirely inspired by a server who didn't ask "how is everything?" and informed by both repetitive claims to be in the business and a juvenile need to be comped a $25 wine-pairing charge. And, Jesus, is anyone complaining about a $115 meal (on Valentine's Day) (with wine) like it's dinner at the fuckin' Ritz really working at a "fine dining" place? Sheee-it -- I'm betting Maggiano's at best. (Google the name -- he also hates Belga and the Hitchin Post [we got a beef, now] and can't wait for Petworth to go all-yuppie).

Not, to be sure, that I don't defend the right of Internet posters to be anonymous dickweeds (though when a local chef called me one, I posted my name and told her to ring me if she had a problem. The call never came). It's kind of the nature of the net. And, just as anonymous dickweeds can level charges without credibility or veracity, local restauranteurs have little problem dismissing what are sometimes almost certainly legitimate complaints as athe uniformed ravings of cowardly anonymous dickweeds. That is why, like mdt, I like reading a good rant (or a suspicious rave) and trying to figure out what really went down.

There is something a little stalkerish about someone who would cut and paste a two-year-old rant entirely inspired by a server who didn't ask "how is everything?" and informed by both repetitive claims to be in the business and a juvenile need to be comped a $25 wine-pairing charge. And, Jesus, is anyone complaining about a $115 meal (on Valentine's Day) (with wine) like it's dinner at the fuckin' Ritz really working at a "fine dining" place? Sheee-it -- I'm betting Maggiano's at best. (Google the name -- he also hates Belga and can't wait for Petworth to go all-yuppie).
When did Kolumbia open? The first post here about it was just over a year ago. Was that rant right after it opened? I'm having trouble imagining that place being fairly empty on Valentine's Day.

Having posted in plenty of places where people post under their "name," and it's a made up name, I'm wary about this whole discussion of anonymous or not. Giving a name is kind of an honor system. That's the reason this site requires some information from people when they register.

Having posted in plenty of places where people post under their "name," and it's a made up name, I'm wary about this whole discussion of anonymous or not. Giving a name is kind of an honor system. That's the reason this site requires some information from people when they register.
Anonymity is fine, however there is a clear difference between posting anonymously to avoid stalkers, or because you have a sensitive job, and hiding behind it in order to act like a jerk online. The latter is pretty easy to spot and deserves no respect.

I see no reason why a thoughtful post or legitimate complaint should be dismissed out of hand just because the writer is not splashing his name all over the 'nets.

ETA: or because it has numerous spelling errors. :blink:

There is something a little stalkerish about someone who would cut and paste a two-year-old rant entirely inspired by a server who didn't ask "how is everything?" and informed by both repetitive claims to be in the business and a juvenile need to be comped a $25 wine-pairing charge.

if this account is for real, then the guy is a total lunatic, out of nabokov, which is evident from his hilariously hair-raising post. anyway, that he is still ranting about something like this is confirmation that his outburst at the restaurant was not a case of temporary insanity. nicolas cage has performed scenes like this. what was the movie where he thought he was turning into a vampire and ate one of those chirping south american cock roaches? same character here, different movie. he's lucky he left before they hauled in the straight jacket.

I agree that I always enjoy trying to figure out the real story. Same on Tom's chat. The way some of these people tell their story they were just innocently walking down the street on the way to volunteer at a soup kitchen and Roberto Donna jumped out of an alley, depantsed them, smashed them in the back of the head with a sea bass and then encouraged everyone standing nearby to laugh at them while they were laying on the ground trying to get their pants back up.

What I am trying to say is that my mom, my brother, my little sister and I have all worked in a variety of different restaurants since we were able to work and I have never ever witnessed or heard of an entire staff going off unless seriously provoked. I'm talking physical threat, yelling, racial slur territory.

You might have a waiter who just loses it one day, or a manager who is having a bad day or whatever but never have I seen purposely rude treatment across the board, from host to chef like some of these people claim. It just doesn't happen like that. There are social mores that just keep that kind of thing from happening in a place of business. Its the same reason we don't all show up nude. Maybe I one day just say "fuck it" and come into work in the buff but what are the odds that the host, the busboy, the manager and the chef not only don't reprimand me but take theirs off as well?

I agree that I always enjoy trying to figure out the real story. Same on Tom's chat. The way some of these people tell their story they were just innocently walking down the street on the way to volunteer at a soup kitchen and Roberto Donna jumped out of an alley, depantsed them, smashed them in the back of the head with a sea bass and then encouraged everyone standing nearby to laugh at them while they were laying on the ground trying to get their pants back up.

Dude. That totally happened to me. Only it was Frank Ruta. And a Bronzino. But otherwise....

Last night while reading aloud from Harper's to my +1, or +2, or sometimes +3--I believe it is so important to broaden their intellectual horizons as well before they go off to community college--I came across an excellent term (metaphorical as it may be--and what an image it is!) to enter into the nomenclature for this and future discussions.

Harper's, and I quote, describes it thusly: " A fistula-in-ano is an abnormal connection between the rectum and skin that can result in the discharge of feces through an opening other than the anus."

The beauty of this term is that it simultaneously suggests the remedy to this unfortunate, and all too common, condition. Fistula-in-ano.

wow, did you guys read down to the bottom of that dcist thread Waitman linked? Apparently while the internets probably still contain the same number of dickweeds as they did on, say, 04/03/07, there is now one fewer anonymous one....
Aw, was the dickhead's anonymity blown? I am failing to muster up any sympathy.

Jeez people enough with the conspiracy theories. First amendment ring a bell? If the guy wants to post, let him post - this is a message board about FOOD, not nuclear proliferation, religion or similar weighty issues. No one's playing God.
You're absolutely right; however, when posting one has to realize that this board can take on the role of a 24-7 mini food critic. Owners, operators and everyone right down to servers and runners reads this board and furthermore we all know that everyone is reading it. In fact in the past I've seen DR.com & Eg.com used as feedback for staff during pre-service meetings.

I've argued this before, this board shouldn't be used for malicious purposesses. If this poster has any affiliation with the former chef(which I'm not alone in my opinion of this), well then were getting into shaky territory. What would happen if this user or any user for that matter created more than one identity and started trashing restaurants/chefs/managers/servers as a group? It would then appear to the owner/manager that something was wrong with their restaurant. Heads might roll and quite frankly the board isn't about FOOD anymore it's about how some poor employee is hittin' the bricks trying to make rent. To be honest with you paying my bills ranks a little higher than nuclear proliferation.

All Im' saying is you can piss on my foot but don't try to tell me it's raining.