Kliman On the Tuna Industry

AlexC

Has anyone read the article that Todd Kliman wrote titled "Rare Tuna"?

If not, here it is: http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/restaurants/3870.html

I think that the depth of Kliman's research leaves little room for argument, even if you haven't noticed the steady decline in tuna quality over the past five years. I'll certainly never look at a piece of tuna the same way again.

There were several interesting tidbits, but the one I was most surprised by was when one of the chefs described escolar as "cat food" in japan... but wait, I like escolar!

Anyway, it's a great read and an article worthy of discussion.

Alex

Has anyone read the article that Todd Kliman wrote titled "Rare Tuna"?

If not, here it is: http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/restaurants/3870.html

I think that the depth of Kliman's research leaves little room for argument, even if you haven't noticed the steady decline in tuna quality over the past five years. I'll certainly never look at a piece of tuna the same way again.

There were several interesting tidbits, but the one I was most surprised by was when one of the chefs described escolar as "cat food" in japan... but wait, I like escolar!

Anyway, it's a great read and an article worthy of discussion.

Alex

I thought it was a very good article too. A recent National Geographic had an article on the decline of fish stocks and talked about depletion of tuna. We (consumers) need to do a better job of buying seafood products that are sustainably fished and farmed or risk losing them.

I read this article when it came out. I completely agree w/ Kliman. I eat A LOT of raw tuna (so much so that my father thinks I must have mercury poisoning). It's hard to find anything worth the price you pay these days -- it just doesn't have any taste. I will say that I try to go to Oceannaire at least once every other week. They regularly get Big Eye in (I need to ask how it's fished, I suppose) and I get it sashimi style. They give you a typical Oceannaire sized portion and it's wonderfully textured, flavorful fish.