Leeks

edenman

I picked up a few leeks at the Farmer's Market today and I was wondering if anybody had a particular favorite recipe for preparing them. I've found a few braising recipes online, including some that call for finishing the leeks in the broiler coated with either parmesan or sugar. Any pointers? Also open to other cooking methods.

More along the lines of suggestions vs. actual recipes, though a few follow:

Paula Wolfert's Macedonian pork stew with smothered leeks in Eastern Mediterranean Cooking. A favorite. I like this with the noodle-rice pilaf from the same book. She's got a few in Mediterranean Grains and Greens including a thickened yogurt soup w chickpeas and lamb.

Quiche w salty ham or bacon. Soup. Terrine. Little individual flans plated on pool of bright red purée. Sliced into half moons (split lengthwise, then sliver and wash), stewed in a little white wine and butter. Add a little cream, grated cheese and maybe a little garlic and thyme. When cream's reduced, seasnon and pile on thick, crunchy toast made from flavorful bread.

Here's Jamie's chicken pie with leeks.

Here's the page linking recipes from past chef demos (I hope; if not follow tabs at top to search yourself) at the market.

Here's instructions for making frizzled leeks. Just use the underscored term in a recipe search for "go with" suggestions.

Braised, trimmed whole leeks are dramatic as is as a vegetable side dish, but it's a safer bet to split them lengthwise to make sure you get out all the dirt and grit.

More along the lines of suggestions vs. actual recipes, though a few follow:

Paula Wolfert's Macedonian pork stew with smothered leeks in Eastern Mediterranean Cooking. A favorite. I like this with the noodle-rice pilaf from the same book. She's got a few in Mediterranean Grains and Greens including a thickened yogurt soup w chickpeas and lamb.

Quiche w salty ham or bacon. Soup. Terrine. Little individual flans plated on pool of bright red purée. Sliced into half moons (split lengthwise, then sliver and wash), stewed in a little white wine and butter. Add a little cream, grated cheese and maybe a little garlic and thyme. When cream's reduced, seasnon and pile on thick, crunchy toast made from flavorful bread.

Here's Jamie's chicken pie with leeks.

Here's the page linking recipes from past chef demos (I hope; if not follow tabs at top to search yourself) at the market.

Here's instructions for making frizzled leeks. Just use the underscored term in a recipe search for "go with" suggestions.

Braised, trimmed whole leeks are dramatic as is as a vegetable side dish, but it's a safer bet to split them lengthwise to make sure you get out all the dirt and grit.

Those are all great suggestions. I also like them on the grill. If they are fairly big, they need time on indirect heat to cook through, but I often include leeks in a mixed grill.

I picked up a few leeks at the Farmer's Market today and I was wondering if anybody had a particular favorite recipe for preparing them. I've found a few braising recipes online, including some that call for finishing the leeks in the broiler coated with either parmesan or sugar. Any pointers? Also open to other cooking methods.
I made fennel that way recently--braised, then finished under the broiler with Parmesan. It was excellent.

I like this leek and sausage pie recipe but haven't made it recently.

My introduction to leeks came from a Michele Evans cookbook: pasta with leek and Parmesan cheese. Basically: sauté julienned leeks in butter and olive oil; stir in some chopped garlic; add a bit of chicken broth and basil; simmer until leeks are soft. Toss sauce over pasta – I prefer linguini – and season with Parmesan, crushed red pepper and s&p.

If you're feeling a bit decadent, slice your leeks lengthwise almost to, but not through the root. Wash them and put them on a slow boil. Ideally, you're tenderizing the leeks while keeping the stalks more or less intact.

While doing that, fry up some bacon. When the bacon is fried, dump the grease and pour a good dollop cream in the pan, scrapong all the bacon-y goodness off the bottom, and reducing the cream by maybe a third. Or more. Whatever looks right to you. Fling some capers into the cream and then the crumbled bacon.

Artfully arrange the leeks in something ovenproof, pour the creamy bacon (or bacon-y cream) on top and throw it under the broiler until it's properly browned (use your own best judgement). Eat with reckless abandon.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up making celeriac soup with one of the leeks, chopped, and then I made a small batch of the "frizzled leeks" (thanks Anna) as garnish for the main. I've still got one leek left, might try to make the celeriac again, but this time with caramelized pears.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up making celeriac soup with one of the leeks, chopped, and then I made a small batch of the "frizzled leeks" (thanks Anna) as garnish for the main. I've still got one leek left, might try to make the celeriac again, but this time with caramelized pears.

Eric, remind me about the leeks later tonight. We use 'em at home a lot, so I can find a few recipes.

BTW, Greeks also make prassopita (aka leek pita), so, it is much like a spanakopita, only you use leeks in the place of spinach. Or you can mix the two together for a bitchin' pita.