Pepiche and Papalo

Gubeen

Last weekend, while I was in NY, I had a rabbit taco that was served with fresh pepiche and papalo leaves. They were rather woody, like an intense combination of cilantro and shiso. I haven't been able to find much about them on the web. One leave was round-ish and looked like larger watercress; the second looked like a combination between dill and tarragon. The chef said they are typical to Mexico and are eaten as a raw accompaniment to tacos especially in the mountainous southern part of the country.

I wanted to try finding them in the area. Has anyone ever seen them? Tried them?

Last weekend, while I was in NY, I had a rabbit taco that was served with fresh pepiche and papalo leaves. They were rather woody, like an intense combination of cilantro and shiso. I haven't been able to find much about them on the web. One leave was round-ish and looked like larger watercress; the second looked like a combination between dill and tarragon. The chef said they are typical to Mexico and are eaten as a raw accompaniment to tacos especially in the mountainous southern part of the country.

I wanted to try finding them in the area. Has anyone ever seen them? Tried them?

All kinds of indiginous edible shrubbery that we rarely encounter-- though I have seen unfamiliar fresh herbs at the Latin markets in Riverdale, MD. I can't recall their names, but your description of the herbs above does seem vaguely familiar. You might check there--two markets, fairly near La Sirenita. I have found epazote growing wild near Fletcher's Boathouse, however. The smell is unmistakable--petroleum-ish.