Devilling those eggs

Gimme your hints, your favorites, your wisdom...(non dairy recipes/hints preferred)

Me, I like to put some capers in to mix it up a bit.

Finely diced smoked salmon, capers, terragon (optional) and mayo or sour cream (preferred).

paging StephenB...

Reprint, as requested:

Instructing rockwellians on how to boil eggs would be tantamount to teaching your grandma to suck them. I will note that Extra Large are the best because you want a generous cavity for the blend. As for the caviar, my usual supplier, Trader Joe’s, was out and the stuff at SuperFresh seemed moldy. So I turned to Rodman’s (“between Harrison and Garrison with prices beyond comparison”) and found exactly what I wanted in 12 oz jars.

Boil eggs, run under cool water, peel, slice, deposit yolks in bowl. Add about a third of the yolks’ volume of Hellmann’s mayonnaise, sprinkle in dill, a tsp of Colman’s mustard powder, several shakes of parsley and a drop of Worcestershire. (No salt — the caviar will take care of that.)

Mish, mash and mosh until it’s no longer bumpy. Deposit in egg halves, smoothing at the top so there’s a place for the caviar. Using a cocaine spoon, or something of similar size, lovingly add the caviar. Grind some pepper over the whole shebang.

Refrigerate until you leave for Fort Hunt or wherever the comestibles will be consumed.

A couple of years ago, I read in one of the food sections something like, “Let’s not kid ourselves. You can make any kind of appetizers you like, but it’s the deviled eggs that go first.” I took that to heart, and the donrocks picnic gratifyingly demonstrated it.

When I'm not making standard deviled eggs, I like this recipe from Bon Appetit that was published last year. I find it usually needs a little extra garam masala, but last time I made it, I didn't account for the fact I was opening a new, fresh bag of spice, and it was far more powerful than what I'd used previously. :blink: (I don't use a whole lot of garam masala.)

The doctored leftovers made some kickass egg salad to stuff a pita.

My dearest Hillvalley,

I do hope you'll forgive the levity of my previous comment regarding sweet pickle relish. How thoroughly plebian of me to suggest such a declasse, middle-American ingredient for your little soiree.

The real recipe, of course, goes like this:

Roast separately tiny new asparagus and morels, mince fine, and combine with the sieved (never mashed!) yolks, and ever so gently mix in some truffle oil and the oldest balsamico you can get your hands on, to taste. Use a pastry bag with a star tip to pipe the filling decoratively into the whites.

While these are chilling, bake some mini brioches. Slice in half, and layer each brioche piece with thin slices of foie gras, truffle (only in season), and filled egg. Tuck in a sliver of confit. Top with a tiny piece of goat cheese, and finish with a blessing of fleur de sel.

Of course, you should use quail eggs if at all available.

When I'm not making standard deviled eggs, I like this recipe from Bon Appetit that was published last year.
Those sound delicious. Thanks for the link.

I use the smallest eggs I can find - peewee? Whatever they're called...using smaller eggs makes eating them easier.

(You sensitive types should avert your eyes here) The fancy kinds are great, but my standard version is southern church supper style made with onion juice, paprika, and Miracle Whip.

My dearest Hillvalley,

I do hope you'll forgive the levity of my previous comment regarding sweet pickle relish. How thoroughly plebian of me to suggest such a declasse, middle-American ingredient for your little soiree.

The real recipe, of course, goes like this:

Roast separately tiny new asparagus and morels, mince fine, and combine with the sieved (never mashed!) yolks, and ever so gently mix in some truffle oil and the oldest balsamico you can get your hands on, to taste. Use a pastry bag with a star tip to pipe the filling decoratively into the whites.

While these are chilling, bake some mini brioches. Slice in half, and layer each brioche piece with thin slices of foie gras, truffle (only in season), and filled egg. Tuck in a sliver of confit. Top with a tiny piece of goat cheese, and finish with a blessing of fleur de sel.

Of course, you should use quail eggs if at all available.

Darling Porc,

Damn! Truffles aren't in season, so I'm out of luck :blink: Also, do you know where I can get Kosher foie?

Love always,

hv

yes, shrimp sounds good, but these newspaper recipes don't always exactly turn out. a few weeks ago his easy asparagus risotto was a bit confusing. he has you pureeing all but the tips and i ended up with much more puree than he directed you to add to the rice at a certain point, resulting in more liquid than you would need, unless you made allowances for it. everything turned out okay, i just felt that the recipe was a bit shaky.

also, if you are going to this much trouble, i think each person should get two eggs and not one, so it really only serves two.