Giada Sighting

Al Dente

Today at Dupont Circle Farmer's Market:

Giada getting dolled up for me--

post-27-1179679432_thumb.jpg

She played it remarkably cool. I barely even perceived it when she was checking me out--

post-27-1179679467_thumb.jpg

She pretends to focus on the cheese, when she's doing all she can to seem coy--

post-27-1179679453_thumb.jpg

Her cameraman doesn't want her distracted by my movie star looks and charm--

post-27-1179679900_thumb.jpg

Enjoying some cheese--

post-27-1179679491_thumb.jpg

Enjoying some cheese while thinking of me--

post-27-1179679478_thumb.jpg

The camera crew showed up to talk with Bev Eggleston when I was at the Eco-Friendly stand at about 9:45. It seemed as if Bev had expected them, but I wasn't aware that they were going to be filming Giada.

There was a blurb in Friday's Post about her being at the market.

mdt was kind enough to alert me she'd be in town. For some reason, Giada didn't tell me herself. Always playing hard to get... :blink:

post-27-1179746424_thumb.jpg

Egads!!! Obviously, she left her stylist at home. That outfit is just... just.. well just UNFORTUNATE.

You hadn't heard she's training to be a Jedi Knight?

The force is strong with her.

I was disappointed in her choice of attire too. Though I suppose it’s still early in the year for fully ripened melons to be on display at the market.

^Proof that she has an excellent stylist who knows precisely how to deal with her image and her public.

Since the visit was arranged in advance with FreshFarm Market, I only regret that D.C. was chosen just to shoot little segments with venders and there wasn't a celebrity chef demo as there sometimes are with book-signings.

I disagree with this. Do you ever notice how everthing is always good on the Food Network shows? How could everthing you put in you mouth be so good and to your liking. It's really dishonest, and a disservice to the viewers.

I remember a show Rachel Ray did on DC, she was at hotel downtown (I forget the name, but you there are great views of the White House from the rooftop patio), and she ordered a dessert that was prepared tableside on the patio with stunning views of the White House. I was new to the DC area at the time, so my wife and I went to that hotel one night after dinner with some friends to have that dessert. Well, the view and the patio were there, but you could not have any food on the patio, only drinks. From that day forward I never trusted anything I saw on those Food Network travel shows.

I remember a show Rachel Ray did on DC, she was at hotel downtown (I forget the name, but you there are great views of the White House from the rooftop patio), and she ordered a dessert that was prepared tableside on the patio with stunning views of the White House. I was new to the DC area at the time, so my wife and I went to that hotel one night after dinner with some friends to have that dessert. Well, the view and the patio were there, but you could not have any food on the patio, only drinks. From that day forward I never trusted anything I saw on those Food Network travel shows.
The Hotel Washington? They have some appetizer kind of foods (or they used to) that are overpriced and not very good on the outdoor patio. There's an inside restaurant right there too. Their online menu does show them having dinner service there:

http://www.hotelwashington.com/dining.php

Edit to say that my memory is foggy, but there is a more inside part to the terrace and a more outside part, and the outside part is mostly for cocktails.

I disagree with this. Do you ever notice how everthing is always good on the Food Network shows? How could everthing you put in you mouth be so good and to your liking. It's really dishonest, and a disservice to the viewers.

I was referring to the MSN link to beautiful women over 35. Not the cooking, which I agree. Everything can not be that good. My particular peeve is that everything is "perfect". Back to the RR episode. It was at the Hotel Washington, and she went just for dessert. I believe she did Jaleo for dinner, but saved some tip-poor money for dessert. Yes, one might get the impression that you could have a nice meal there. Not true. But, I have taken guests there for drinks and they've been blown away by the view.

mdt was kind enough to alert me she'd be in town. For some reason, Giada didn't tell me herself. Always playing hard to get... ;)

post-27-1179746424_thumb.jpg

I just noticed that in the background of this picture one can see an "Eichberg Construction" sign hanging from the Blaine mansion. Does this mean that Palena will be moving soon?

To be honest, from the descriptions here I was expecting the tomato equivalent of Ann-Margret in Tommy, not a reprise of Carrie in marinara. Poor choice of theme on the photographer's part, really - after all, her family did produce Hannibal, which is a food movie of sorts and includes the single weirdest piece of movie product placement I've ever seen. "Hannibal Lecter only cooks with Cuprinox!"

I disagree with this. Do you ever notice how everthing is always good on the Food Network shows? How could everthing you put in you mouth be so good and to your liking.

That's one thing I like about Bizarre Foods on the Travel Channel, he'll tell you if it tastes like crap. RR could be eating a plate of poo and she would be moaning about how good it tastes.

You're freakin kidding me, right!?

I work right across the street from The Dancing Crab. We used to go there once every week or two to get the Twist Burger, a burger sub with bacon and cheese and a ton of good, crisp curly fries. It was $7.95 on the menu and we went for the amount of food as opposed to anything else. The burger wasn't bad, but it sure wasn't good, I would take Red Robin over this burger any day!

Well, about a month or two ago, they raised the price from $7.95 to $10.00, cut the number of fries in half and the fries were no longer crispy (even after asking for them crispy). You can get much better burgers and fries at any chain than The Dancing Crab and for less money.

Just doesn't seem to make any sense why she would go there, guess I will find out tonight.

By the way, the highlight of going there is seeing pictures of a drunk John Riggins all over the wall from the 1980's, just classic.

For some reason I do not find this sexy.

http://www.esquire.com/women/women-we-love...rentiis0807#img

I finally got to check out these pics at home (my office PC is blocked from Esquire for some reason), and I must say I have absolutely no problem with them. Wow. Yeah, I know, they're airbrushed and all, but still, she's a sexy little tomato.

Note to self: make stuffed tomatoes tonight.

Do TV producers always take such poetic license when putting a show together!?

1. Giada jumps into a cab to go to The Dancing Crab, but she jumps into the cab right around the corner from the restaurant. A few seconds later, and with some random shots thrown in, she ends up at The Dancing Crab!

2. She had brunch in Adams Morgan, you know, that famous neighborhood that houses Mie n Yu (sign shown) as well as Cafe Atlantico (where she ate)!

Still have a few minutes to go, we will see what else they make up along the way!

I take that back. I was just watching Giada is DC, and she looked liked she did not like the Duck at Citronelle at all. When did Georgetown move outside of DC? Also, the show did nothing to improve the image of DC dining. At this point Citronelle is a throwback, and it seems to be the only restaurant people know about outside of the area, as if this was a small town.

Well done Mr Slater!

(though I noticed you didn't put in the good word for me :angry: )

Edited to add: Needless to say, I won't be taking her to a crab joint on any of our dates.

And as far as the "poetic license" goes, Giada arrived at Dupont in a big car with her entourage. I saw her and her crew take the escalator down to the metro station just so they could film her coming up as if she arrived that way. Also, for some reason, they edited out the part where she asked for my phone number.

Paging Al Dente...

Sur La Table - Arlington, VA - Pentagon Row

Meet Food Network Star and Author Giada De Laurentiis

Join Giada as she signs copies of her new book, GIADA AT HOME.

This is a ticketed event and space is limited. Tickets will be distributed in-store with the purchase of Giada at Home, beginning Tuesday, March 30th. Please call the store at 703-414-3580 for more information.

Date & Time: 4/3/2010, Starts at 11:00 a.m.

Cost: Book is $35.00