Hangar One "Chipotle" vodka

There's nothing on their site about this yet, but this is apparently a one-off from what they are calling their "Alchemist Series". (The prior offering was wasabi, which was never offered to us). If past is prologue, they probably only made around 200 cases of this.

On the back label, it reads in part, "Lance prepared the base vodka with Fresno chiles, then blended in an infusion of Bells, Jalapeños, and Habañeros."

I wonder what kind of cocktails you can make with this? Strong base for bloody mary's?

I did find a recipe that you can make with it, though:

Chipotle Chicken Pasta

1 T Salted Butter

1-2 T Olive Oil

1/3 Cup Sliced Red and Green Bell Peppers (1/3 cup total)

1/4 Cup Sliced Red Onion

1 cup Diced Chicken Breast

2 oz. Hangar 1 Chipotle Vodka

6 oz. Heavy Cream

1 oz. Marinara Sauce (or use stewed tomatoes, or a 1/2 of a small tomato diced)

Small handful of fresh cilantro

Salt and Pepper

1/2 Fresh Lime Juice

3 T Fresh grated Parmesan Cheese

Your favorite pasta (I recommend Fettucini or Penne)

Begin cooking your pasta in boiling water. Melt better in a medium sauce pan. Sautée bell peppers and onion in butter over med-high to high heat (add olive oil as needed). Toss in diced chicken about the one-third the way through the sautéeing the peppers and onions. Add H1 Chipotle Vodka (watch out for the flame!). Let flame die, add heavy cream, marinara sauce and salt and pepper (to taste). Cook for approx. 2-3 min over med-low heat. Add cilantro, lime juice and parmesan cheese. Cook for 1-2 min to reduce the sauce (still med-low heat). Toss in your pasta and stir it up. Enjoy!

---Add crushed red peppers with the heavy cream and mariniara for an extra kick!---

There's nothing on their site about this yet, but this is apparently a one-off from what they are calling their "Alchemist Series". (The prior offering was wasabi, which was never offered to us). If past is prologue, they probably only made around 200 cases of this.

On the back label, it reads in part, "Lance prepared the base vodka with Fresno chiles, then blended in an infusion of Bells, Jalapeños, and Habañeros."

I wonder what kind of cocktails you can make with this? Strong base for bloody mary's?

I did find a recipe that you can make with it, though:

Chipotle Chicken Pasta

1 T Salted Butter

1-2 T Olive Oil

1/3 Cup Sliced Red and Green Bell Peppers (1/3 cup total)

1/4 Cup Sliced Red Onion

1 cup Diced Chicken Breast

2 oz. Hangar 1 Chipotle Vodka

6 oz. Heavy Cream

1 oz. Marinara Sauce (or use stewed tomatoes, or a 1/2 of a small tomato diced)

Small handful of fresh cilantro

Salt and Pepper

1/2 Fresh Lime Juice

3 T Fresh grated Parmesan Cheese

Your favorite pasta (I recommend Fettucini or Penne)

Begin cooking your pasta in boiling water. Melt better in a medium sauce pan. Sautée bell peppers and onion in butter over med-high to high heat (add olive oil as needed). Toss in diced chicken about the one-third the way through the sautéeing the peppers and onions. Add H1 Chipotle Vodka (watch out for the flame!). Let flame die, add heavy cream, marinara sauce and salt and pepper (to taste). Cook for approx. 2-3 min over med-low heat. Add cilantro, lime juice and parmesan cheese. Cook for 1-2 min to reduce the sauce (still med-low heat). Toss in your pasta and stir it up. Enjoy!

---Add crushed red peppers with the heavy cream and mariniara for an extra kick!---

The Hangar One special vodkas are pretty pricey to be cooking with. Whatever subtlety, complexity and unusual kick this vodka has is going to be lost among all of these other ingredients. I'd suggest adding a shot of less pricey vodka to the sauce and a canned chipotle chile, and have an iced shot of Hangar One Chipotle Vodka as an aperitif.

Corduroy snagged two bottles of the stuff. Now I just need to get Tom Brown working on a fantastically spicy cocktail to use it in!
I'd love to know what he comes up with.

I'm not sure what to do with my bottle, as I'm not skilled at constructing cocktails. I'm thinking a chipotle vodka gazpacho might be really nice, though, if I can figure out how to execute that.

I'm not sure what to do with my bottle, as I'm not skilled at constructing cocktails. I'm thinking a chipotle vodka gazpacho might be really nice, though, if I can figure out how to execute that.

Tested. Approved for summer. Thanks for the gazpacho, Porcupine!

Speaking of gazpacho, the DVD of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown has been out of print for some time, except as part of the Viva Pedro set. But...Tampopo is back in print as an anamorphic widescreen edition!

Tested. Approved for summer. Thanks for the gazpacho, Porcupine!
Thanks for the report. How much vodka goes into the gazpacho? 1/2 cup? :angry:

(I love Women on the Verge. Gazpacho frequently brings it to mind B).)

And thank you for the suggestion! We just put a half shot in each bowl. More would've been good. :angry:
Ah. I was thinking of putting it into the batch of soup rather than the individual bowls. It probably works better to do it the way you did it, though. I've got to try this before summer is over!

The gazpacho with the chipotle vodka was excellent. That works well. Based on porcupine's comment, I used between 1/2 and 3/4 of a 1.5 oz. shot in each (fairly big) bowl. The rest of the meal was a corn souffle and bread, so I made the soup portions fairly large. The cilantro-mint salsa that was supposed to accompany the souffle came out too thin, but the herb oil that it essentially turned out to be was fabulous drizzled over the soup. (In addition to the herbs, that had lime, garlic and jalapeno). The flavor of the chipotle vodka, combined with the herb oil, and the various vegetables/fruits in the gazpacho was outstanding.

I think the perfect cocktail for this stuff is a marrige of sweet and spicey. I picked up some Ume Blanc plum wine from the herb shop next to CVS in Chinatown, mixed it about 6/1 with the chipotle vodka, it was pretty tasty. Since there are only two ingriedients it's easy to blend to taste. On that note you could also try white zin instead of plum wine but, maybe at 10/1 or better. Nothing too honeyed or thick though..

Might try a chocolate thing later..keep you posted :angry: