Sheep Milk

porcupine

Anyone know where I can find fresh sheep milk? Thanks. [mktye, I'm sorry if this belongs in another thread]

I suppose you could ask the folks who sell lamb at the Dupont Farmers' market if they know of anyone who milks their sheep. The problem is, even if they do, they might not be able to sell any without running afoul of State regulatory requirements. If you are looking for sheep milk to make ricotta, I've made it with goat's milk and it is really delicious--can't say how it compares, but goat's milk is a commercially viable product around here, and it is not hard to find, albeit you can't buy unpasteurized milk.

:angry: You got it. I bought some goat milk yesterday and will try it tomorrow. But the sheep milk is necessary for my attempt to recreate a Frank Ruta dish.

I know you may want to make your own, but did you try and get some sheep's milk ricotta at Cowgirl Creamery? I believe that they were selling it at some point.

Cowgirl Creamery is a good suggestion. I am not sure if Jen Chowning is still the manager, but her number is: 202.393.6880. If she is no longer there, Erica is the manager. Although any of the ladies there will be perfectly happy to offer assistance.

1) Lambs raised for dairy purposes differ from lambs raised for their meat, so the Lamb Lady at Dupont isn't going to be able to help, or so I was told months ago when I made the same inquiry.

2) Funny, I just noticed this topic, but I was in Cowgirl yesterday and asked about this very thing since Italians make excellent ricotta with ewe's milk.

"No," none available for sale, nor was any supplier known. When I asked if anyone in the US sold sheep's ricotta, I was told there were two: one in California, of course, and the other in _______. Sorry, I forgot.

I'd be curious if anyone finds a local source, too. Meanwhile, most of us make do w the French feta at Whole Foods as a sub for ricotta on pasta, etc.

When I asked if anyone in the US sold sheep's ricotta, I was told there were two: one in California, of course, and the other in _______. Sorry, I forgot.

I'd be curious if anyone finds a local source, too. Meanwhile, most of us make do w the French feta at Whole Foods as a sub for ricotta on pasta, etc.

We can get you the most luscious sheep's milk ricotta that is flown in fresh from Italy. It is rich, creamy, and naturally sweet - totally unlike "regular" cow's milk ricotta. I used to stock it at Cheesetique, but it has such a short shelf life that it was hard to carry it regularly. Please drop me a line (jill@cheesetique.com) if you'd like me to order it. I can get it pretty quickly. So, based on your story above, maybe the second place was Virginia :angry:

We can get you the most luscious sheep's milk ricotta that is flown in fresh from Italy. It is rich, creamy, and naturally sweet - totally unlike "regular" cow's milk ricotta. I used to stock it at Cheesetique, but it has such a short shelf life that it was hard to carry it regularly. Please drop me a line (jill@cheesetique.com) if you'd like me to order it. I can get it pretty quickly. So, based on your story above, maybe the second place was Virginia :angry:
What an angel! And funny!

Perhaps we can drum up some other orders here since the stuff is heavenly with all the gorgeous eggplants, tomatoes and herbs at the market...

I'd go in for sheep's milk ricotta. Anyone else?