Looking For Jelly And Jam Ideas

I make some killer hot pepper jelly every summer. I want to branch out using some fresh herbs and other summer bounty. Anyone have some ideas and/ or recipes? I am thinking of things with frsh basil, rosemary, mint, tomatos, oregano, etc.

While in Zambia, I fell in love with a rosemary wine jelly. PM me (next week; I'm on travel) if you want the recipe. I'm dying to try it myself. Have to go buy the canning equipment (why do they call it canning? shouldn't it be called jarring?)

Ellen

Have to go buy the canning equipment (why do they call it canning? shouldn't it be called jarring?)

For jams and jellies, no special equipment is needed, beyond Ball jars. The sterilizing of the jars and lids can be done in any large pot, like a pasta or stock pot. Other than that, a wide mouth funnel is a good idea, but not required. You'll need a pair of tongs to get your jars out of the boiling water, and a small ladle to fill the jars with jelly/jam. Fill the jar almost to the top with the hot jelly or jam, clean the edge of the jar, screw on the lid and ring and turn the jar upside down for a few minutes. When you turn it back upright, and it starts to cool, the center of the lid will contract in the center and you'll hear a little pinging sound. That means the jar has sealed. No need for the extra step of a waterbath, which you need for canning vegetables, fruits, tomatoes or pickles for non-refrigerated storage. As long as the jam/jelly was still superhot when you filled the jar, and the lid sealed, the jam will keep for several years without problem.

I make some killer hot pepper jelly every summer. I want to branch out using some fresh herbs and other summer bounty. Anyone have some ideas and/ or recipes? I am thinking of things with frsh basil, rosemary, mint, tomatos, oregano, etc.

You might want to check out "Mes Confitures" by Christine Ferber.

And the is more DR.com canning discussion here. :angry: