Inti, Chifa (Peruvian-Chinese) in Adams Morgan - Closed

I noticed it walking by a couple weeks ago (maybe it was closer to a month), but we didn't think it was opening any time soon judging from a peek in the window. I totally missed the Chinese part of the equation! It looked strictly Peruvian from what I could tell.

My partner and I went to Inti about a month ago, not real long after it opened for business. We were actually on our way to Straits of Malaya but it caught our eye so we thought we'd try it. They did not yet have any wine or beer licensing, so we had to stick to the Peruvian sodas, which were still refreshing. We started with an appetizer of plantain stuffed with a sort of picadillo; despite its garnish of two large blobs of a sauce that seemed to be sort of a bland aioli, it was actually pretty tasty. Bob had the lomo saltado, which I tasted; it struck me as good, not as stroke-inducing as some versions I've tried. My seafood & rice stir-fry was pretty bad, however. The rice was pasty, much of the seafood was rubbery (though it had plenty of it), and overall just blah. The upside here is that the prices are low, the portions quite large, and the staff friendly. The chicken dishes I saw being delivered looked really delicious, so my guess is that if you go here, you're better off sticking with those or beef, not seafood. (I've never been to the other places mentioned in this thread, so I don't have much of a point of comparison to make, and this is only one early experience. I suspect there are better sources for this cuisine. But I'd give it a second shot, especially if they now have wine available.)

As I recall there was an issue with alcohol there whe Inti first opened - no licence or something. But the website photos show a bottle of wine. Can I order wine there? That would certainly increase my temptation to try this place.
I've been there twice now, once last fall, and then about a month ago. The first time, no alcohol was available, but this last time, they did have a small bar area and wine available (though no wine "list"--they simply ask if you want red or white, bottle or a glass :mellow: ). The wines themselves were nothing special. The staff is very friendly and the prices are quite reasonable.

The food itself is so-so, based on the two visits. The stuffed yuca (yukita relleno) is a good, and good-sized appetizer, but the Tamales Peruanos de Pollo was quite bland. Bob had the Pollo Saltado the first time, and liked it; it didn't seem overly salty as some renditions sometimes are. The second time he had the 1/4 chicken with sides and also liked it, though it didn't seem like anything special. The sauces were both quite spicy. Seafood and Chifa items seem iffier, at least based on the Arroz Chaufa de Mariscos (Chifa fried rice with seafood) I had. Most of the seafood was less-than-fresh and rubbery (though fairly abundant), and the rice itself was pretty much a glutinous lump. So, I suggest sticking with appetizers and the chicken dishes, maybe the carne, and steering clear of seafood. You certainly won't come away that much poorer, though how well fed is another matter.

I've been there twice now, once last fall, and then about a month ago. The first time, no alcohol was available, but this last time, they did have a small bar area and wine available (though no wine "list"--they simply ask if you want red or white, bottle or a glass :mellow: ). The wines themselves were nothing special. The staff is very friendly and the prices are quite reasonable.
Wot no Pisco? :)

I'm surprised to see comments about Inti going back to 2007 -- I never even noticed it until recently. I heard that they have a nice garden in back, so went to check out the menu after popping into Biagio across the street, and saw a suspension notice in the window. Does anyone know what the story is?

I'm surprised to see comments about Inti going back to 2007 -- I never even noticed it until recently. I heard that they have a nice garden in back, so went to check out the menu after popping into Biagio across the street, and saw a suspension notice in the window. Does anyone know what the story is?

Not sure if it had anything to do with the suspension notice, but it is closed (and has been replaced by The Cajun Experience).