Street Food in DC

Capital Icebox

This is a development that is long overdue:

"...the first of 21 new food vendor carts that District officials have authorized after a nearly 10-year moratorium, in an attempt to encourage a new world of street-food options. ...dozens more carts are expected to open in the months ahead, selling pizza, soul food, Korean barbecue, gelato and more. After subsequent mapping surveys, officials intend to designate hundreds more sites for vendors in all commercial areas of the city."

Here is a helpful map of the carts. At the moment, only the shwarma and korean bbq carts are open, but I am most excited about the wing & waffles one.

Thanks for posting this - what a great development. I'm looking forward to the Kebab truck. Anyone been to the ones that are open yet? Can't wait to hear the reports...

Thanks for posting this - what a great development. I'm looking forward to the Kebab truck. Anyone been to the ones that are open yet? Can't wait to hear the reports...

I'll let you know tomorrow. A couple of us are going on a field trip tomorrow to the schwarma cart.

[i'd very much like for this website to keep abreast of which carts are where, what they're serving, where they're sourcing from, and how they're cooking their food. A thread for each cart in the Restaurants and Dining forum is perfectly fine for now - each is a legitimate mini-"Restaurant." I'm hoping we can find out as much as possible about each one, and separate the ordinary from the special. Get the names of the owners if you can - I suspect Todd will also be dispatching his crew over at Washingtonian, so that may be a good source of information also. This is an important development, and one well-worth keeping tabs on. Cheers, Rocks.

P.S. If you post, please also specify which corner of the intersection it's on (NE, NW, SE, or SW)]

Over recent weekends, I had noticed a food truck outside of my nearest Bestway(Latino Mercado) with a sign mentioning tacos, papusas, and carne asada. Yesterday, Mr. MV and I pulled into the parking lot and orderd all three (one of each). For $11, we got 2 soft tacos, a cheesy papusa topped with a coleslaw (surprising!) and an absolutely huge carne asada; dry rubbed skirt stead, refried beans, yellow rice, cucumbers and onions, and 4 corn tortillas. Fresh limes came with the tacos and carne asada.

One serving of care asada is in my fridge, in fact. Now, if you'll excuse me. :mellow:

If you find yourself on Telegraph Rd. just south of the beltway, on a weekend, pull in.

[i'd very much like for this website to keep abreast of which carts are where, what they're serving, where they're sourcing from, and how they're cooking their food. A thread for each cart in the Restaurants and Dining forum is perfectly fine for now - each is a legitimate mini-"Restaurant." I'm hoping we can find out as much as possible about each one, and separate the ordinary from the special. Get the names of the owners if you can - I suspect Todd will also be dispatching his crew over at Washingtonian, so that may be a good source of information also. This is an important development, and one well-worth keeping tabs on. Cheers, Rocks.

P.S. If you post, please also specify which corner of the intersection it's on (NE, NW, SE, or SW)]

Following up on this, I spoke with the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs "Vending Hotline," and asked for a list of all food vendors in the city. The representative told me the list is unpublished and unavailable. I explained that I wanted to use it as reference material for a website, ultimately plotting out a map with various food carts - she briefly asked someone else, returned to the phone, and then told me the same thing: not available.

I suspect an intrepid journalist could pursue this successfully - or at least scour the streets of the city, producing an unofficial version - but it looks like it won't be me, at least not on my own. Anyone?

Cheers,

Rocks.

Did anyone see this article in the Post yesterday, and exactly where is the location above Farr North? On K, or maybe where the food court used to be?

"Peddling Healthful Street Food To Eco-Urbanites: Will It Fly?"

The "smartkarts" are electric vehicles built by a Chrysler division in Fargo, N.D., and are specially outfitted with steam wells, holding ovens and refrigeration so that On the Fly can serve hot food at regular locations. Two are in service: the Diego specializes in Latin food and is stationed at Eighth and H streets NW, while Smokin' Joe at Seventh and F NW has a barbecue menu. A third vehicle, Ms. Miyagi, will arrive later this month and offer Asian Fusion cuisine at a location yet to be named. The conventional cafes are above the Farragut North Metro station and at the Results Gym on G Street SE.

Did anyone see this article in the Post yesterday, and exactly where is the location above Farr North? On K, or maybe where the food court used to be?
If you come out of the Farragut North Station on the L St/Connecticut NE corner where the menswear store is go down the escalator into the station. It is on the mezzanine. The food is mostly in a fridge case. Didn't look too appetizing, but has free coffee promotions on Fridays.