Twin Springs Fruit Farm

JPW

Twin Springs Farms greenhouse grown tomatoes were the foundation of the salad I brought to the picnic.

I also stopped by the hippy herb guy to get my garden going.

I had some purple sage survive the winter, so I got some Thai basil, French thyme and rosemary.

Edited by JPW

Unusually, here's an instance of Montgomery County Government [County Council] making accommodation for commerce [as reported in The Gazette]:

A zoning text amendment approved by the Montgomery County Council on May 4 allows for agricultural vendors, such as the popular Twin Springs Fruit Farm that sets up shop Wednesdays at the Concord St. Andrews United Methodist Church, to sell their wares on residential property.

<snip>

The amendment allows for certified agricultural producers — a vendor that sells fruits, vegetables and other goods grown in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.—to set up shop on residential property, under certain conditions. The property must be larger than two acres, abut a four-lane roadway, and be used for non-residential purposes, such as a church. According to the amendment, the vendor must also sell for less than 24 hours at a time.

The amendment was passed unanimously by the County Council.

This market is located at River Road and Goldsboro in West Bethesda. I hope this county-wide amendment will prompt additional day markets to pop-up.

Twin Springs has been selling at the Capital Memorial Church on Sundays in the Van Ness neighborhood. Apparently this is a new location for them this year...and the word doesn't seem to be out, last two weekends not many customers and it's kinda of a hidden location.

We usually get our produce at the New Morning Farms Saturday market at the Sheridan School, but nice to have another option in the hood. I will say the peaches from Twin Springs have been better than the ones we have been getting from New Morning (although the necturines from New Morning have been awesome this summer!)

anywho...

Capital Memorial Church

3150 Chesapeake St NW

Washington, D.C. 20008

May 22 - November 20 10am-2pm

full schedule of locations here: http://twinspringsfruitfarm.com/market.html