Arlington Market

I hit Arlington for the first time this morning. Although many of the same farmers are at Dupont I found a couple that were worth crossing the bridge for. Picked up my first strawberries of the season, asparagus, cucumbers, lemon basil and micro basil.

Any suggestions (other than pesto) for the lemon basil? It is stronger than I thought it would be.

Has anyone tried the orange creamsicle flavored milk from the dairy guy?

I finally hit the Arlington market early for a change and it is a different, more well stocked world. Got some beautful strawberries, asparagus, lots of other stuff. My real highlights - fresh chocolate milk for breakfast and thai basil plants for $1 each.

The Arlington Farmers Market is presenting a monthly Chef in the Market Series.

Saturday, June 18th from 10 - 11 AM, join Chef Nathan Anda (Tallula) as he shares his appreciation of sustainable and seasonal foods, making his way through the market with tips, hints and recipes about the offerings of farmers from MD, PA and VA.

Market is located in the Arlington County Courthouse parking lot (orange line).

About the chef — Nathan Anda received an undergraduate degree from the University of Nebraska in Lincoln and went on to attend culinary school at the New England Culinary Institute in Montpelier, VT. Nathan has worked with chef Todd Gray at Equinox Restaurant, as well as Jeff Tunks of Ceiba Restaurant. In 2004, Nathan was tapped as executive chef for the Neighborhood Restaurant Group's latest project, Tallula.

Upcoming 2005 Chef in the Market Series Featuring:

· Cathal Armstrong/Restaurant Eve July 9

· Joe Raffia/Majestic Café Aug. 20

· Jeff Buben/Vidalia Sept. 24

Are you thinking of Cibola, the bison people?  Sunnyside meat, BTW, is sold at Arrowine in Arlington.

No. There is another guy that doesn't put his coolers out for you to sort through like Cibola. He has great sausages and often has noodles too.

For all you computer geeks that have wanted to read DR.com while at the market, here is your chance. :P

Surf's up at Courthouse Plaza, dude! But leave your boogie board at home. You'll need a laptop to ride this wireless wave.

Come groove to live beach music by the Hula Monsters and check out Arlington County's first free, outdoor wireless Internet hotspot on Saturday, Aug. 27, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. at Courthouse Plaza.

Amid the bustle of the County's weekly Farmers' Market at Courthouse Plaza, bring your wireless-enabled laptop or other device and surf the Web to your heart's content. When your computer looks for a wireless network to join, choose "arlingtonwireless."

For more details, read the whole press release at:

link

You didn't read carefully :)

They do freeze their meat...

...and have meat available at the market without having to preorder

Last week they about 1/2 dozen different cuts.  It's not out, you have to ask to see it.

Nope I did not read carefully at all. I guess I will just buy their braising cuts since they freeze everything.

The Courthouse Market has returned to summer hours this week and there were more vendors. Mostly greens and plenty asparagus and garden plants. The berry folks had a sign out saying that strawberries would be available next week!

The Courthouse Market has returned to summer hours this week and there were more vendors.  Mostly greens and plenty asparagus and garden plants.  The berry folks had a sign out saying that strawberries would be available next week!

There was a very nice selection of potted herbs at the Courthouse Market this morning. We walked away with two tomato plants, chervil, lovage, sage, rosemary, two basils, and chives.

One of the vendors had some baskets of berries out but they looked awfully pale.

One way from Rockville is take 495 towards VA, then take GW Parkway, then take the exit for Route 50 West (it's right after the Key Bridge exit, also the exit for Route 50 forks, take the right fork west towards VA, not the left fork towards DC). Go down Route 50 W and take the exit for N. Courthouse Road. The farmer's market will be up a block or so on your left.
I should add a warning that you can't easily go back to Rockville by backtracking on Route 50 because you can only get on GW Parkway going South from Route 50. If you don't mind going down GW Parkway until you can make a U turn, that'll work. Otherwise, the North access for GW Parkway is near Key Bridge in Rosslyn.

At the Courthouse Farmer's Market this weekend.

Tour the market with Chef Cathal Armstrong of Alexandria’s Restaurant Eve.

10 AM Meet at N. Courthouse Rd & N. 14th St

At Restaurant Eve, Chef Armstrong presents his version of simple, straightforward cuisine, sourcing the highest quality ingredients. Almost all of the ingredients come from local producers who grow organic products. Cathal and his team scour the local farmers market every day.

Sat or Sun?
Saturday... (only day of the Courthouse Farmers Market, though the Georgetown Flea Market seems to be up and running in Courthouse on Sundays)

I imagine some DR.com people who don't frequent our neighborhood market on Saturday will come out to see the Eve event. It would be great if you all could stop by the Shoebox Baker to see what we are all raving about... Seriously, her stuff is that good.

Dupont today was a mob scene. Why aren't all these people at the beach? :) Picked up Toigo peaches, apricots, plums, sungold cherry tomatoes, and corn. Also mesclun, tiny chioggia beets, basil. thyme, heirloom tomatoes, and a dozen eggs.

Sunnyside has a sign up for whole chickens, preorder only. I may do that next week.

Arlington was a zoo yesterday as well. With a host of other things I picked up some incredible black berries from Twin Springs (IIRC) Farm.

Does anyone know if Arlington is up and running in full swing mode? I checked the web site and didn't find anything.

I was at the Courthouse farmers market this past Saturday. It's open, but I wouldn't say full swing mode. There were a lot fewer stands. The ones that were there included mushrooms, sorbet, meats, dairy, Toigo (I bought a jar of heirloom tomato pasta sauce), bakers (not including Shoebox Oven), hydroponic greens, small potted herbs/plants, fresh apples, bee products.

Did anyone see this announcement posted from Arlington Farmers Market about Chef Armstrong leading a "tour" on July 29th? I thought perhaps it was a typo since that is a Sunday. Anyway, was there this morning and wanted to put a mention out about something new I found today: Takoma Kitchens Bakery Michele's Granola. It may not be so new, but they had samples out. It's not too sweet and has almost a roasted background. I found it very simple and straighforward which is to my taste, vs. loaded with dried fruits and such. I also purchased thier "rich sweet scones" which I used to call tea biscuis growing up. Just like home.

Did anyone see this announcement posted from Arlington Farmers Market about Chef Armstrong leading a "tour" on July 29th? I thought perhaps it was a typo since this is a Sunday.

I think they just haven't updated their website from last year. Chef Armstrong did a tour last year on July 29th (a Saturday last year).

I was at the Courthouse market this morning too. I was surprised that one vendor still had sour cherries.

Anyway, was there this morning and wanted to put a mention out about something new I found today: Takoma Kitchens Bakery Michele's Granola. It may not be so new, but they had samples out. It's not too sweet and has almost a roasted background. I found it very simple and straighforward which is to my taste, vs. loaded with dried fruits and such.

I had a sample of that granola this morning too. I liked it, but I didn't get any. Instead, I got two empanadas (1 meat, 1 vegetable), which I haven't tried yet. This is the first time I've bought anything from Takoma Kitchens.

I think they just haven't updated their website from last year. Chef Armstrong did a tour last year on July 29th (a Saturday last year).

I was at the Courthouse market this morning too. I was surprised that one vendor still had sour cherries.

I had a sample of that granola this morning too. I liked it, but I didn't get any. Instead, I got two empanadas (1 meat, 1 vegetable), which I haven't tried yet. This is the first time I've bought anything from Takoma Kitchens.

It's interesting that the website is incorrect, since I've been receiving more consistent and in depth newsletters from them of late. Hmmm.

I saw the cherries too. I'd be happy to hear what you thought of the emanadas. I've always been happy with thier German Black Bread.

Now, has anyone seen Quail Creek Breads around? Anyone? Bueller?

I'd be happy to hear what you thought of the emanadas. I've always been happy with thier German Black Bread.

I thought the Takoma Kitchen empanadas were fine but not something I'd seek out. I had the beef empanada, which was filled with ground beef and raisins. I thought it could be seasoned more. My husband had the vegetable empanada, which was filled with black beans and corn. I only had a bite of that and tasted basically black beans. I might try some of their other items next time.

The Arlington Farmer's market has three remarkable things:

1. True fair trade coffee - Hondo Coffee Company. A local guy bought a coffee farm in the honduras as an investment, and is running it low-pesticide & environmentally friendly. He also pays twice local wages. He's still working out the kinks in the blends, but the quality is pretty high.

2. Creekside Farm tomatoes. Headquartered in Berkeley Springs, the former tomato capital of the world. The farmer swears that the springs give his vegetables some special magic. I don't know what it is, but they're damn fine. he also has yellow wax beans, oh so good, and lovely squash and zucchini.

3. Smith Meadows pasta, eggs, and sausage. The eggs and sausage are high quality free-range products (not quite as good as polyface farm, but we can't all have their setup). The pasta is handmade in small patches, with some kind of whole-wheat flour that gives it a great texture and flavor.

Stopped by the market on my way out of town yesterday. Loaded up with peaches, nectarines, gobs of tomatos, some berries, and a treat from ShoeBoxOven. I so miss good markets. I stood staring at the eggs, pork and yogurt trying to figure out a way to carefully transport them the 12 hour drive.

I went by Courthouse yesterday about 11:45 and the lot was completely empty. Was this a bi-week or did the vendors all pack up really early?? :(
They weren't there at 9am either.

The market was closed for the holidays. Last week, I heard vendors at Dupont asking whether the Dupont market would be open today, and that Arlington Market would be closed this weekend. Dupont market was open but a couple of vendors took the day off (notably, Toigo).

The market was closed for the holidays. Last week, I heard vendors at Dupont asking whether the Dupont market would be open today, and that Arlington Market would be closed this weekend. Dupont market was open but a couple of vendors took the day off (notably, Toigo).

Thank you. I wound up going to WFM up the street (and Crate and Barrel :( ....since ya know, I was there anyway)

I have an all day seminar tomorrow that will keep me from my weekly trip to the Dupont Circle market. So I made a foray to Arlington this a.m. Our good friend Crescent Fresh was again working at the Eco-Friendly stand. They had nice-looking eggs for sale and fresh, dry-aged beef (ie. not frozen). Much as I would have liked to, I couldn't quite pull the trigger for a 50-day dry-aged porterhouse at close to $30. But I did get a chuck eye for $12 a pound--equally dry aged. It'll be quite a bit tougher, but should be very tasty.

Today was the first day at the market for J. Wen Farms and Dairy from Harrisonville, PA, selling creamline milk, heavy cream and chocolate milk. their product is seriously underpriced ($2 for a pint of heavy cream, $3 for a quart). I suggested that they stop at Whole Foods after the market and see what Trickling Springs milk and cream are selling for. I suspect their prices will be higher next week. Bruce from Eco-Friendly came over to buy some milk as I was making my purchase, and also told them their prices were too low.

Very limited veggies available at this market, compared to what has been on offer at Dupont in recent weeks.

Yesterday I bought lemon squares from Christopher Bakery which I really enjoyed. The thick square has a lemon jam-type filling sandwiched between two moist blondies. The stand is near the entrance of the parking lot with the Antique Market rather than with the farmer's market stands. There was also biscotti, brioche, breadsticks and some other things.

The Courthouse market doesn't get as much attention here as other markets and it should. In years past I would hit this market 2-3 times a month, but because of gas prices it has been hard to get over there. I made the trip this morning and was not disappointed. I was there by 8:45 and the market was packed. The berry farmers had their usual long lines for strawberries as well as black, blue and raspberries. Toigo had strawberries, cherries, tomatoes and cucumbers, although I don't know if the tomatoes and cukes are hothouse or field grown. Wheatland had beautiful greens, sunflowers, and herbs. I also picked up tomatoillos, squashblossoms ($2.50 fora container!!!), lemon verbena, chocolate mint, a few types of basil and a mexican herb whose name starts with a p and has a lemony, tangy flavor. By 9am Shoebox was almost sold out of all her goods! I won't be able to make it as often this summer, which is a shame because the prices and variety make this a worthwhile trip.

I made a rare visit to Arlington market yesterday. Toigo for apricots and sweet cherries, Eco-friendly for eggs, sausage, and goat (!), and a half gallon of milk from the vendor next to Shoebox.

There was a huge line for Westmoreland berries, which look pretty but aren't worth the wait.

The 8am opening time is great; I love being able to get in and out before it gets too hot. Unfortunately, the distance from my house makes it an impractical choice when there are so many other markets much closer.

I made a rare visit to Arlington market yesterday. Toigo for apricots and sweet cherries, Eco-friendly for eggs, sausage, and goat (!), and a half gallon of milk from the vendor next to Shoebox.

There was a huge line for Westmoreland berries, which look pretty but aren't worth the wait.

The 8am opening time is great; I love being able to get in and out before it gets too hot. Unfortunately, the distance from my house makes it an impractical choice when there are so many other markets much closer.

I got some goat last week and made a ragu from the Monis recipe that was posted in Food & Wine a while back. Very, very good. I used neck and some shanks versus the shoulder that was in the recipe. I also bought some loin chops and put them on the grill and when finished spritzed with some lemon.

Good idea, but I think it's a little too hot for roasting. It's a boneless leg, so I think I'll stuff it with garlic and rosemary and grill it.

The milk is OK, but not nearly as full-flavored as Clear Spring.

I had a nice chat with the Shoebox Oven gal - Krishna? - about how it would be nice if she could sell at the Takoma market. It's too difficult to get in, so we are getting any decent baked goods in TkPk any time soon.

Arlington has become ridiculously busy as soon as the market opens at 8. The lot is full and there are lines at a number of stands, not just for berries. That being said, there are a number of vendors who sell things I can't find at the other markets I frequent. Melons are starting to arrive and I picked up a perfect little cantelope for one. At the same stand I also found tomatillos and a "new type of Mexican herb" (that's what the sign said) that is like a stronger cilantro. Throw in one of their jalepenos and I will be enjoying salsa verde this week. I also picked up lemon and diva cucumbers, my favorite, and a pint of multi colored organic cherry tomatoes. And thanks to Paul at Eco I have chorizo to stuff banana peppers with, and a pork chop straight from the freezer. I love having Paul at market, it's like having my own personal meat shopper :lol: Vanilla lemonade for the drive home from Shoebox makes the lines worthwhile.

Arlington has become ridiculously busy as soon as the market opens at 8. The lot is full and there are lines at a number of stands, not just for berries. That being said, there are a number of vendors who sell things I can't find at the other markets I frequent. Melons are starting to arrive and I picked up a perfect little cantelope for one. At the same stand I also found tomatillos and a "new type of Mexican herb" (that's what the sign said) that is like a stronger cilantro. Throw in one of their jalepenos and I will be enjoying salsa verde this week. I also picked up lemon and diva cucumbers, my favorite, and a pint of multi colored organic cherry tomatoes. And thanks to Paul at Eco I have chorizo to stuff banana peppers with, and a pork chop straight from the freezer. I love having Paul at market, it's like having my own personal meat shopper :lol: Vanilla lemonade for the drive home from Shoebox makes the lines worthwhile.

I had gotten myself and the toddler ready to go while waiting for the baby to wake up this morning. Although we arrived at Courthouse a few minutes before 8, the lot was full. I cursed myself for not knowing where the overflow garage parking was as the metered parking within a few blocks of the market were also all full. As we drove by the market, I saw the hordes of people standing in lines everywhere. Looks like I'll have to start going to the Falls Church market again.

I had gotten myself and the toddler ready to go while waiting for the baby to wake up this morning. Although we arrived at Courthouse a few minutes before 8, the lot was full.
I was there at 9am and people were pulling out then. I've also had a bit of luck at around 8:30-ish. Parking is key for me too, since I have a toddler with me.

Line was super long at Westmoreland Berry Farm as usual, as well at Atwater Bakery. Bought blue- & raspberries at Westmoreland, but decided to buy peaches at Toigo instead -- excellent choice, as it tasted riper than the ones looked at Westmoreland.

DS really enjoyed the milk sold at the place right next to Shoebox Ovens. Highly recommended, as I'm not usually a milk fan, but this farm's milk was super-creamy/tasty.

Line was super long at Westmoreland Berry Farm as usual, Bought blue- & raspberries at Westmoreland, but decided to buy peaches at Toigo instead -- excellent choice, as it tasted riper than the ones looked at Westmoreland.
The lemmings/sheep/incredibly patient people bother me. It makes me crazy to see people lined up for not top notch/mediocre produce. This really does seem to be herd mentality.

The necatrines at Quaker Vallery Sunday (Dupont/Saturday @ Mt. Pleasant) made me very happy today. The berries are not bad at Westmorland but not worth 30 minutes of my Saturday compared to other stands' berries (especially their strawberries). Kudos to Westmorland because they have such a devoted following to sweat it out for the not top notch berries & other fruits. Kudos to the other farmers that produce fruit more to my taste and to my lack of patience.

The lemmings/sheep/incredibly patient people bother me. It makes me crazy to see people lined up for not top notch/mediocre produce. This really does seem to be herd mentality.<snip>The berries are not bad at Westmorland but not worth 30 minutes of my Saturday compared to other stands' berries (especially their strawberries). Kudos to Westmorland because they have such a devoted following to sweat it out for the not top notch berries & other fruits. Kudos to the other farmers that produce fruit more to my taste and to my lack of patience.
At least for me this time they had really good blueberries and raspberries. Westmoreland has a good following because they do well word-of-mouth -- although I've not heard anything bad from the people that line up there, I've had 50-50 success rate there with their fruits. However, I think this popularity goes for Toigo, Atwater, Blue Ridge, [insert farm/stand here]. All the farms/stands can have hit-or-miss produce/stuff from my experiences there. I think that's why it's nice there's such a good variety and that you can choose the places that suit your needs.

At least for me this time they had really good blueberries and raspberries. Westmoreland has a good following because they do well word-of-mouth -- although I've not heard anything bad from the people that line up there, I've had 50-50 success rate there with their fruits. However, I think this popularity goes for Toigo, Atwater, Blue Ridge, [insert farm/stand here]. All the farms/stands can have hit-or-miss produce/stuff from my experiences there. I think that's why it's nice there's such a good variety and that you can choose the places that suit your needs.
The Westmoreland folks are really nice, don't get me wrong, I just would never wait in a line as long as theirs tends to get for 50/50 fruit (I agree with your ratio). I wouldn't wait that long for Toigo's either (luckily the line never gets any where near the craziness of W-land's). I have occasionally waited in line for tomatoes from Wheatland Satruday and two weeks ago at New Morning but only because it was the start of the season and I had to have a Cheerokee Purple fix. I also will wait in line for Atwater bread because it's pretty much 100% good and can sell out and there's not alot of other options.

I am also learning to spend more time at Penn Quarter (thanks Heather!) and my own local Mt Pleasant market where the lines are virtually non-existent except for Breadline but that comes and goes and they don't usually run out (although the stroller jam is not to be denied). There is no pleasure for me in going to the wall-to-wall people scene that I experienced at Courthouse and Dupont this weekend. And while I'm ranting, let me add that as mentioned before, the parking at 8:00 at Courthouse was a joke (except it wasn't all that funny) of seriously major league entitled a**holes cutting off people, scowling and acting just plain ugly. Totally put me in the mood to dis the line standers :lol:.

Quail Creek breads have come to Arlington. Mr. Creek himself was seen striding over to the Atwater stand and announcing "it's on, bitches!"

Bought an Eco-Friendly onglet today from Chris. Frozen, but we'll see. And who can afford $10/pound for Eco-Friendly pork chops, so I went over to Cibola to pick up a four-pack and jeez, they're even more expensive than E-F. No matter as E-F chops are not ideal for what we have planned tonight (poinding and breading), but that lesson has been learned.

Those guys from Ortanna who also sell at Dupont had some golden baby tomatoes. Hothouse, but who can wait until freakin' June?

Much as I love certain aspects of Eco-Friendly (more jowls, please) I have to admit that the onglet was the single chewiest pice of meat I've ever cooked. It was like beef-flavored Dubble Bubble.

Tasty, but challenging.

My jaws are actually a bit sore this am. From the meat. You pervs. The onglet. :rolleyes:

Quail Creek breads have come to Arlington. Mr. Creek himself was seen striding over to the Atwater stand and announcing "it's on, bitches!"
Mr. Creek throws down the gauntlet at your feet, man.

"Who is this guy, slandering me so?"

Go apologize you big ol' hyperbolator and introduce yourself. Or stand your ground.

Willow has had a stand at the farmers market this year...I guess each week they use ingredients from the vendors, create a dish, give it away (for free!) and have recipe cards in case you want to make it yourself. Pretty cool!

This morning it was a fresh corn and zucchini torte with a sweet orange cherry tomato sauce. It tasted great, and the recipe looks pretty easy. The ingredient list features products from 4 different stands at the market.

After taking a pass on the Alexandria market (mostly Holiday offerings like wreaths etc) yesterday morning, I headed over to Arlington and was happy I did.

I haven't been there in about a year. A good number of producers filled the parking lot and street. Quail Creek's booth was full of beautiful breads and pastries-oh how I missed them after they left Kingstowne, especially their Pugliese bread! Mr. MV and I shared a pain au chocolate that was generously filled with bittersweet chocolate, surrounded by flaky pastry. Leaps and bounds better than Bonaparte's which we like to refer to as "pain au where's the chocolate?".

I also chose a small loaf of potato bread, advertised as traditionally Italian. I recommend this bread for plain eating with butter on your dinner table, or for sopping, as we did last night to get every bit of goodness from the bottom of our bowls filled with braised beef stew.

If you're looking for a Bouche de Noel, Quail Creek makes a version that could grace the cover of Martha Stewart's Living. It goes for $38, but it's sizeable and just really impressive.

Loaves of Stolen dusted with powdered sugar were also tempting, but I might wait until next Sat. to pick one up.

Twin Spring Farm's stand was mobbed, as they had a large selection of apples (many buying by the bushel) and winter produce. Interestingly, they also had green tomatoes for $1.29/lb, and for whatever reason, I was inspired to buy some for fried green tomatoes.

I also bought apple cider, tiny little brussel sprouts (I"m not sure if the flavor varies from the larger ones, but I'll find out soon), and a large butternut squash that later was peeled, chopped and added to my braising beef.

A couple Cibola bison sticks and a package of EcoFriendly spicy pork sausage (saute this up with tomato sauce and pour over rigatoni, shave fresh parm and ...heaven!) later, and we were out.

ps...the gelato guy is still a bit creepy.

Every week last summer he used a headset microphone and drummed up business by asking "Would you like to try the holy grail of sorbet?" I wonder how he settled on that catchphrase.

Yes, I first came across his bible-based sales pitch years ago at the 17th St. Farmers Market in Richmond. I made the mistake of going over to sample his gelato. Ugh.