Honoring Mike Tilch

starfish

Mike Tilch, owner of Silesia Wine and Spirits in Fort Washington, a true bon vivant and lover of all things passed away last night. It was my pleasure to get to know Mr. Tilch while I was the GM of Notti Bianche. He was possessed of such spirit and mirth that he brought a smile to the face of everyone on staff just by making a reservation. He was a great regular guest, an ambassador for all restaurants, and a trusted mentor for me.

If there is an afterlife, I know that the wine just got better, and the conversation more entertaining. Mike, I will miss you terribly; and drink splendidly in your honor this evening.

I just found out about this myself a few moments ago. Truly sad.

Mike was a wonderful gentleman. I learned a lot from him, and he was always very helpful to me when I was a young guy just starting out in the wine business.

Courteous, generous with his time and spirit, just a singularly lovely man. He will be greatly missed by all who knew him and loved him, and to know him WAS to love him.

For my part, I will miss our conversations and the education that I always got as a result of them.

Goodbye, Mike. You will not soon be forgotten.

It's hard to find the words. Mike is inspiring, educational, supportive, loyal and breeds those values in those he touches. His life is wine, a studious life, but the most beautiful kind of study. The best.

Yet again, the skies are too full of angels tonight.

All he did was bring smiles with him.
And always great wine. Heaven could use his cellar.

Given Mike's love of opera, all I can say is that he is probably at rehearsal listening to Caruso, Bjorling, Gigli et al. While the greatopera in the sky gets better, there is no lover of opera in the audience bigger in heart than Mike. Farewell friend!

Little did we know that Mike was just going upstairs to roll out the red carpet for Pavarotti! Knowing Mike, Nessun Dorma indeed tonight as the champagne will be flowing as S Pavarotti greets all his illustrious predecessors with Mike enjoying listening in...