Consumer Reports Rates Chocolate

zoramargolis

In the September issue of Consumer Reports, I came across a rating of dark chocolate. The "trained" panelists rated only one of the 14 they tasted as "excellent": Cacao Reserve by HERSHEY 65%(Extra Dark with Cacao Nibs), which they called "a treat to nibble and savor." In the "very good" category they listed, in order: Lindt 70%, Chocolove 61%, Valrhona 71%, Scharffen Berger 62%, Green & Black's 70%, Endangered Species 72%, and Hershey's Extra Dark 60%. Those rated "good" were: Dagoba 59%, Trader Joe's Organic Super Dark 73%, Dove Rich Dark, Ghirardelli 72%, and CocoaVia. "Fair" was Newman's Own Organics.

First of all, there's a BIG difference between chocolate liquor percentages in the 60's and 70's. Most people find the higher percentages to be too bitter. There is a Valrhona 65%--why didn't they taste that one? Same with Lindt and Green & Black.

Typical of CR ratings involving food or beverages--they almost always put a cheaper product on the top of the list.

Then again--has anyone tasted Cacao Reserve by Hershey's Extra Dark with Cacao Nibs? Is it possible that Hershey has mended its shoddy ways? Until I hear otherwise from a source I consider reliable, I'll stick with Valrhona, my personal fave.

I've not tried the Hershey's, but due to a whim of rwtye's, I did taste the Trader Joe's Organic Super Dark 73% and Valrhona 71% last weekend. To my admittedly non-chocolate-liking palate, the TJ's was just plain old nasty and far too bitter. The Valrhona was smoother, but had very strong coffee overtones. I ended up taking the remains of both bars and making hot fudge sauce (added sugar, cream and some tahitian vanilla) which pleased rwtye much more. Especially when eaten cold with a spoon. :angry: