Jamon Iberico

DanielK

The jamon serrano will never be good, b/c its not iberico, which is a variety of jamon serrano that comes from Extremadura that the FDA will not allow into the US, therefore what you get isn't as good as the prosciutto you can get here.

Didn't Jose Andres figure out how to jump this hurdle last year? I believe that he is currently importing Iberico...

yea he did for a while. But if you notice their menu now, they pulled off all the iberico products and if you go to latienda.com they can't sell them anymore. I have no idea what happened but they are back to being ilegal
La Tienda is apparently accepting deposits for future delivery of jamon iberico. See here: La Tienda (scroll down to the bottom).

I'm not sure if imprecise information is worth reading, but this weekend I was standing in front of the olive oils at Whole Foods having one of those discussions about what one buys after reading The New Yorker.

A tall man with dark greying hair joined in the conversation. Perhaps someone here can fill in the details about the name of the company mentioned (or the veracity of the rumor I'm starting), but it's something to the effect of Roger Imports and involves Italian food. Either he's simply broadly aware of the general, local picture, or also an importer of Spanish products.* At any rate, he said Iberico should be available here very soon, but first through José Andres and then a limited number of places including Cowgirl Creamery.

*No, Al Dente, not Art Vanderlay.

Taberna has Jamon Iberico on the menu for $26. The serving is a dozen hand sliced pieces, and frankly worth every penny. It might seem like an outrageous splurge until you think that a dozen oysters at the West End Bistro will set you back $36, and I have yet to have an oyster that can compare to the shear delight of this acorn scented ham.

Yesterday at lunch the bartender handed me a slice of the regular Serrano ham for a side-by-side comparison, and he was right when he told me that it is going to be hard to eat the regular Serrano after that glorious plate of Iberico.

jaleo has it for 8$ per oz. I don't really know how it compares, but I'm going today to la taberna to try it.

Dean & Deluca in Georgetown is (or was, as of last weekend when I stopped by) selling Jamon Iberico at about $80 some dollars per pound. Has anyone tried it? Is it worth the moolah? This is the sort of thing I'm willing to shell out good money on if it's worth it, but it's an expensive experiment if you're not sure.

It's some pretty good stuff. Worth $80/lb? Guess it depends on how much money you have and how much you like cured pork. Scrumptious and unique? Yes. Worth it once? Indeed. Twice? Probably. Three times? Ask me after next weekend.

Interesting question in wake of rioting by people around the world who's lives have been crippled by a rise in grain prices of a few pennies a kilo. If you're the sort who feels philosophical of a Sunday.

Dean & Deluca in Georgetown is (or was, as of last weekend when I stopped by) selling Jamon Iberico at about $80 some dollars per pound. Has anyone tried it? Is it worth the moolah? This is the sort of thing I'm willing to shell out good money on if it's worth it, but it's an expensive experiment if you're not sure.

They'll give you a sample slice to try if you ask.

Jaleo has a cured meat plate, either 2oz or 3oz (total) that includes a taste of the Iberico...that it is quite delicious is true. Whether or not one would pay $80/lb, not so sure. Actually for me, I'm quite sure I would not. But I would definitely order that cured meat plate again at Jaleo.

I would suggest saving the $80 per #, fly to spain, (Barcelona comes highly recommended) eat Jamon Iberico, (ask for Jabugo) until you can't stand it anymore. Then come home and revel in the fact that not only have you had the best spanish ham ever, you have also been to spain.

Bought some at Eastern Market, going for $80 per pound at Canales Deli. It's good, you can tasty the nutty acorn flavor, I'm glad I tried it, is it worth $80 a pound probably not.

I'm guessing that it is one of those things were if in enjoyed in Spain at some little temple to all things cured it would be a wonderful experience, in my kitchen on a Sunday when it's pouring rain...it's just some tasty pork product.

Tweaked said:
Bought some at Eastern Market, going for $80 per pound at Canales Deli. It's good, you can tasty the nutty acorn flavor, I'm glad I tried it, is it worth $80 a pound probably not.

I'm guessing that it is one of those things were if in enjoyed in Spain at some little temple to all things cured it would be a wonderful experience, in my kitchen on a Sunday when it's pouring rain...it's just some tasty pork product.

I bought some of this (3 slices=1/8 lb=$10) and put it on an antipasto platter tonight. I loved it, but I can't imagine buying a lot of it or buying it very often.