Toigo Orchards

MeMc

I stopped by Arlington and Del Ray today. My first question is Tiogo everywhere? Not a complaint, just an observation. As I type I am enjoying one of Mark's English cucmbers sprinkled with truffle salt. Second, did anyone actually wait in that line at Arlington for blueberries and raspberries and were they worth the price? I think a pint of raspberries were going for over $4 a pint. Besides ShoeBox Oven, my new favorite stand is the woman at Del Ray selling organic baby food. Baby Boom anyone?

I saw Tiogo in NY at the Green Market at Union Square...

I have to comment on Tiogo's yellow corn.

I usually prefer the white corn varieties: Silver Queen/King, anything with Queen in the name. Just love those types and have found the best ever at Dupont.

But, as I noted upthread, I went to Del Ray this weekend and bought a few ears at Tiogo. It was yellow, and most not as big and hearty as others. BUT WOW, has to be the sweetest corn I've ever tasted.

So, find your nearest Tiogo stand and buy some!

The nectarines are incredible as well.

This morning at the Del Ray market, Tiogo's had yellow corn again. I like to take a little bite of one after cleaning it to get a sense of how sweet it is. Like. Sugar.

Go get some tommorow!

From Tiogo's,I also got some "sauce" tomatoes, which were a dollar a pound cheaper than the bigger ones. Thier peaches are the size of baseballs. They will be peeled, halved and frozen and await me in my freezer for one cold day when I want a taste of summer.

I bought bartlett's there too--didn't see them at Toigo.

Toigo had quinces this morning. First time I can recall ever seeing them for sale at the market. Plus, he's got Comice pears. Harry and David's catalog calls them "Royal Riviera" and charges an arm and a leg for them. They need a week or so in a bag to ripen, but they are da bomb in the world of pears. I also got 2 quarts of almost-over-the-hill Italian plums for $4 there. I had to throw a few away, which were too far gone, but I made a big pot of gingered-plum compote, and may use that later in the week to make a plum crisp. The quince will become my annual batch of membrillo.

Toigo had quinces this morning. First time I can recall ever seeing them for sale at the market. Plus, he's got Comice pears. Harry and David's catalog calls them "Royal Riviera" and charges an arm and a leg for them. They need a week or so in a bag to ripen, but they are da bomb in the world of pears. I also got 2 quarts of almost-over-the-hill Italian plums for $4 there. I had to throw a few away, which were too far gone, but I made a big pot of gingered-plum compote, and may use that later in the week to make a plum crisp. The quince will become my annual batch of membrillo.

we actually were looking for quince for an apple crumble that calls for them and must have scanned toigo too fast. the mother and daughter had them last year. that's how we made the crumble. we love their scent.

Toigo's white peaches were on sale at Whole Foods for $1.69 per pound at their Vienna location. Have not checked prices at other locations. This, to me, is a good deal, compared to $2.50 per pound otherwise. I think it was the same price for yellow peaches, but am not sure.

I had the tv on during lunch the other day and caught a re-run of MPT's Chefs Afield episode, filmed last summer, featuring Blue Duck Tavern chef Brian McBride and his two young daughters visiting Mark Toigo's orchard. Mark was terrific, very telegenic and modulating his energy perfectly for the camera, informative, charming and funny and relating so well to the kids. He really is a delightful character-- some smart tv producer ought to build a show around him for one of the food channels or Public TV.

They had corn yesterday at Dupont. Cantaloupes, white and yellow peaches, tomatoes, nectarines too.

It's Mira corn. Great stuff. There were problems w first plantings this year and Toigo had been selling out past two weeks on Saturdays (Arlington & Falls Church?). This past week the corn was available at Penn Quarter, too.

It's Mira corn. Great stuff. There were problems w first plantings this year and Toigo had been selling out past two weeks on Saturdays (Arlington & Falls Church?). This past week the corn was available at Penn Quarter, too.

Yay!! Toigo's Mirai is worth seeking out. I discovered their Mirai corn 2 years ago. It has come in a bit later in the summer, but is worth the wait.