Nettles

Who sells nettles? I'm not one to miss out on unusual greens, but I can't say I've ever seen them in their new role as a commodity.

i don't know the name, but it's nina planck's family's farm, for a week or two. they set up diagnonally across from heinz, the stand that sells heirloom tomatoes on tables at the back. palena uses the nettles to fill ravioli. i don't recall what i did with mine, but it started with immersing them in a boiling pot of water. they turn into a spinach, staining the water rusty, and are wildly delicious and nutritious.

I *knew* there had to be nettles thread around here somewhere! I picked some up on Saturday at the Del Ray Market - it was nice to see Wheatland Farm there, even it may only be for a few weeks.

Any suggestions on what to do with them? I bought them because the stinging nettle velouté at Restaurant Eve is one of my favorites. I may go with Julia Child's base for watercress soup, but if anyone has used them in an interesting way I'd love to hear about it.

Please, when someone asks a question and someone else answers it, it's useful to have the answer after the question.

At least it would be helpful for moderators to direct readers to the new cooking thread once posts have been moved elsewhere.

One of the principal goals of farmers markets is to get people to cook more at home, so I am not sure why basic cooking advice can't be offered in this forum when seasonal items (locally-raised chicken, nettles...) purchased at farmers markets are featured in topics of their own.

Please, when someone asks a question and someone else answers it, it's useful to have the answer after the question.

At least it would be helpful for moderators to direct readers to the new cooking thread once posts have been moved elsewhere.

One of the principal goals of farmers markets is to get people to cook more at home, so I am not sure why basic cooking advice can't be offered in this forum when seasonal items (locally-raised chicken, nettles...) purchased at farmers markets are featured in topics of their own.

I'm sorry -- actually, the question itself was supposed to move to the new thread as well, with a post by me quoting it and linking to the recipes thread. I'm looking now at my browser and seeing I never hit "submit" on that entry, so it didn't work.

Basic cooking advice usually does stay here, but when a thread starts to involve many and varied recipes, it gets to become a recipe thread in the Shopping and Cooking forum, where people in the future are likely to go looking when they need recipes. Otherwise, we end up with duplication of information and/or information split between locations with no comprehensive information in one source.