Next Step Produce, Newburg, MD

Since my error has already been quoted, I won't take advantage of the wonderful invisible editing system here and instead post the following:

The Swiss farmer's name is Heinz Thomet and not Hans.

His business is called Next Step Produce, an organic farm that sells its produce towards the center of the bank's parking lot at Dupont Circle, on the right, if you enter from the gates close to the Metro stop's escalators.

Heinz was selling bags of mache for $3, tender clumps of shiny leaves that were much smaller than the ones I picked up at Trader Joe's on Friday for a bit more. Next week might be the last time it's available.

the baby collard greens he was selling were sweet, at least raw. i will toss them with pasta tonight.

Heinz is going to bring some cardoons for me next week as a special favor, so I'll have to bite the bullet and pay whatever his price is. It's not as if I could buy them elsewhere, though. I have seen references to cardoon being used as a form of vegetable rennet to curdle milk for cheesemaking--something I might do some research about. Might try to make some ricotta, and then eat them together.
The flower, not the stalks. They're a member of the thistle family. Here: pictures.

I wonder if Heinz charges so much because he's got unique wares (I know he makes a point to be that way) or because he only sells at that one market on Sundays. At any case, I bought less than a pound of the fave since this was the best looking lot I've seen him ever bring to Dupont Circle and because he's carried them long before supermarkets ever did. But when they're $1.99 now at WF and $4.65 (?) at Next Step Produce, I hear you.

FYI, one of the other fave shoppers said that fave are the only green bean native to Europe; all other varieties were imports.

P.S. back at Monique since I duplicated her rhubarb and strawberry purchases. Heather sent me to New Morning for the snap peas, but I ended up with two Persian cucumbers instead. I am leafing through Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries and he described a salad made with radishes, cucumbers, sheep's feta and mint, I believe, that I felt the urge to make. And yes, there certainly were many DR's there today. I am starting to believe that Al Dente is really just a mythical creature, though.

Very tragically for Next Step, they suffered a fire in their boiler room recently.

If you're interested in helping, here is some info from the FreshFarm Markets newsletter:

HELP Heinz Fund: Help Heinz Thomet of Next Step Produce pay for rebuilding the boiler room that burned down. Heinz estimates he will need $20,000 to cover the costs that the insurance will not cover. If you would like to help in this effort, send an email to Help Heinz* with your ideas.

If you want to make a tax deductible donation to the Help Heinz Fund, you can use our PayPal account on our website or download our Donation Form and indicate that your gift is restricted to the Help Heinz Fund.

*I believe you can go to FreshFarm's website to find the email link.

Thanks, goldenticket & monavano. FYI there is a message line in the link that goldenticket provides that makes it possible to specify "Next -Step Produce" or "Heinz Thomet" as the intended recipient of any contribution. (The tax-exempt status of organization makes any financial contributions go further.)