Condrieu

hmmboy

I think some of us can draw some stylistic-preference lines in the sand right here. I recently had a glass of 2003 La Doriane which I found to be one of the most vulgar, offensive Viogniers I've ever tasted. I took two sips, and could drink no more. To each his own.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I agree with each to his own, but "vulgar and offensive?" C'mon Rocks - a bit harsh. It may not be your style, but that wine is extremely well made. It is undoubtedly a fruit bomb, but it has great spice, is VERY dry, super concentrated and has an enormous finish - one that is far from vulgar. A bad bottle perhaps? It ain't made for the long haul however, nor are many condrieu. Just for my own info, do you or Slater care for Yves Cuilleron's condrieus, particularly the les Chaillets.

To me, Francois Villard's Condrieus capture the essence of the site. It seems to me, after all, that if all Condrieus were like the overblown ones produced by Guigal and others back in the day, the AOC would call for a different cepage.

The hardcore geeks with whom I occasionally interact swear by Christophe Pichon. Never had one, though.

I agree with each to his own, but "vulgar and offensive?" C'mon Rocks - a bit harsh. It may not be your style, but that wine is extremely well made. It is undoubtedly a fruit bomb, but it has great spice, is VERY dry, super concentrated and has an enormous finish - one that is far from vulgar. A bad bottle perhaps? It ain't made for the long haul however, nor are many condrieu. Just for my own info, do you or Slater care for Yves Cuilleron's condrieus, particularly the les Chaillets.

Guigal makes a negociant Condrieu which is always much tamer than La Doriane and certainly cheaper. I haven't seen Cuilleron's wines around. The Condrieu that I consider the benchmark are the George Vernays. His "Terrasses de l'Empire" is always delicate and pleasing. "Coteaux de Vernon" is more extracted and sees some oak. I use Rostaing's "Bonnette" which is a more ballsy style. The only Christophe Pichon Condrieu I remember tasting was a really weird vendange tardive bottling.

Guigal makes a negociant Condrieu which is always much tamer than La Doriane and certainly cheaper. I haven't seen Cuilleron's wines around. The Condrieu that I consider the benchmark are the George Vernays. His "Terrasses de l'Empire" is always delicate and pleasing. "Coteaux de Vernon" is more extracted and sees some oak. I use Rostaing's "Bonnette" which is a more ballsy style. The only Christophe Pichon Condrieu I remember tasting was a really weird vendange tardive bottling.

cant forget the stardom of Yves Gangloff Condrieu!!

Yes, Steve. I really like Domaine du Chene. We just finished 2 months of pouring the Condrieu by the glass.
It is a steal compared to most Condrieus.

What is the Champagne I had on Saturday Night? That was a nice $18 of bubbly, much better than Agent Orange some are pouring for the same cost.

It is a steal compared to most Condrieus.

What is the Champagne I had on Saturday Night? That was a nice $18 of bubbly, much better than Agent Orange some are pouring for the same cost.

Champagne A. Margaine Brut Premier Cru, Villers-Marmery (a Terry Thiese selection). I don't remember you saying hi. :angry:

Speaking of Cuilleron, I have the basic Cuilleron Viognier in stock (MUCH less expensive than the Condrieus) but I can get the Condrieus for anyone who is interested in them. Just drop me a note at my email address.

Seems to me I've had some other compelling Condrieu this year, but it's late and my memory fails me. Perhaps I'll figure it out in the morning.