Kingstowne Market

I am so happy I finally went to the Kingstowne Farmers Market. It was bigger than I expected: larger than Del Ray and smaller than Courthouse. There were a few vendors that I recognized from Dupont. Vegetable stands were a plenty. There were about 3 bakers, 2 meat stands , (Cibola and Smith Family), an ice cream truck , jams, honey, master gardeners for advice and kettle corn. Prices were notably a bit lower than Dupont and Courthouse.

I purchased:

A Pugliese round bread bigger than my head and 2 scones. One sweet and one savory. All from The Bread Ovens at Quail Creek. These breads were a thing of beauty, really.

Beets, cukes, zucchini, yellow squash, bi-color corn, asparagus, white cherries (my gawd these are good), and kale.

Maple pork sausage from Smith Family Farm.

We're enjoying our scones right now.

I am so happy I finally went to the Kingstowne Farmers Market....I purchased: A Pugliese round bread bigger than my head...from The Bread Ovens at Quail Creek. These breads were a thing of beauty, really.
I really need to try the bread after two strong recommendations.
Beets, cukes, zucchini, yellow squash, bi-color corn, asparagus, white cherries (my gawd these are good), and kale.
To me this suggests the vendors aren't producer-only & local, right? It's still rather early for corn. Do local orchards have Rainer or another variety of white cherry? They're my favorite, though I am looking forward to sour.

I really need to try the bread after two strong recommendations.

To me this suggests the vendors aren't producer-only & local, right? It's still rather early for corn. Do local orchards have Rainer or another variety of white cherry? They're my favorite, though I am looking forward to sour.

According to the Fairfax website, all the vendors/producers are local. The corn was from a farm in Ohio and I made sure to ask if it was really picked from the farm because it is a bit early. The cherries were from a farm near Fredricksburg, I believe. Also, as noted, I bought some of this from the same vendor that is at Dupont. So, hopefully it's local and fresh as it appears Fairfax County takes supporting local agriculture and artisans very seriously as they claim to be a benchmark and model for local farmers/ producer- only markets across the country.

According to the Fairfax website, all the vendors/producers are local. The corn was from a farm in Ohio and I made sure to ask if it was really picked from the farm because it is a bit early. The cherries were from a farm near Fredricksburg, I believe. Also, as noted, I bought some of this from the same vendor that is at Dupont. So, hopefully it's local and fresh as it appears Fairfax County takes supporting local agriculture and artisans very seriously as they claim to be a benchmark and model for local farmers/ producer- only markets across the country.

Monavano, I am glad you enjoyed your visit to the Kingstowne market. Wish you had stopped by and introduced yourself. I'd love to put a face to the name.

You are right, Fairfax County insists all there producers be local (within 125 miles of the market). I am not familiar with the vendor you bought the corn from but I know the rest of the farmers well. Allenberg Orchard (the cherry guys) are indeed located near Fredrick. Medina's Produce and Level Green are in Westmorland County and Mt. Olympus is in Caroline County.

I hope you keep coming back the market. I can assure you that Allenberg will have some of the best peaches in the area and Mt. Olympus is unbeatable for their peppers and cherry tomatoes. Medina's usually has great corn and Level Green will hopefully again have their incredible lima beans. ;)

At Kingstowne today:

4 quarts of sour cherries. $4/quart, 2@ $6.

canteloupe which smells incredible. Can't wait to get a taste.

string beans

petite squash and zucchini

various peppers

bi-color corn 3 for $1

Quail Creek Farm Bakery was not there today. The bakery from Vienna had marvelous looking croissants.

Harvest from Kingstowne market this past Friday. I confirmed with a volunteer that Quail Creek breads are no longer there :angry: .

gallery_24065_1826_822347.jpg

Not seen: A buffalo jerky stick from Cibola (because I ate it immediately!) plus croissants and coffee cake from Cenan's Bakery.

Indeed the peaches were gone yesterday from Allenberg Orchards, but the apples are abundant. The very popular honey crisp are delicious. I got these and empire apples for $1.50/lb.

1422256705_9d8607c5a1_m.jpg

I also bought tomato seconds for $1/lb. also from Allenberg.

1422256689_71786f1a2f_m.jpg

I finally got to meet the lovely Crackpot Gourmet at her stand. I scored a jar of "Peachy Keen" jam, with peach, blackberry brandy and almond.

1422256711_745be4ac34_m.jpg

I returned to the Kingstowne market for the first time this season. It's good to see familiar faces, like Smita of Crackpot Gourmet, and new ones, like Susie of Susie's Cookies.

post-138-1212186828_thumb.jpg

Strawberries from a farm in Westmoreland County, VA are now deep red and very sweet (yet fragile).

post-138-1212186883_thumb.jpg

Spring onions had shiny purple bulbs and sugar snap peas will probably just get a quick saute, s&p and some lemon zest tonight as an appetizer.

Bees n Blossoms has an amazing array of honey, honey jam, granola, soap, bee pollen etc. I bought a Tulip Poplar honey that is deep golden and rich in flavor. It comes from Essex County, VA.

post-138-1212187080_thumb.jpg

There were also some amazing fresh flowers!

post-138-1212186659_thumb.jpg

FYI.

Kingstowne Farmers Market, 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm

May 16 - Oct. 24

Kingstowne Town Center near the Sunoco Gas Station.

Directions:From Fairfax County Parkway: Go East on County Parkway (7900) onto Franconia Parkway. Continue on to the parkway until you pass the Springfield Mall on your left and the Springfield/Franconia metro on your right. Continue through the light (Beulah Street) which turns into Kingstowne Boulevard to the seventh light. Turn left at the seventh light (Sunoco) into the Towne Center. Market is behind Sunoco Station and in front of Giant.

Allenberg Orchards returned to the Kingstowne market last Friday with gorgeous cherries and raspberries. They are also selling greens this year. Mount Olympus Berry Farm had blackberries which I used in a sauce to go over lamb rib chops.

White corn "frosty" was also at the market, and much to my surprise, it was amazing. I didn't expect too much this early in the season, but wow...

Lever Green Farm-shelled peas (risotto)

C&T produce- "Frosty" corn-I'm guessing this is an early corn, and it is every bit as good as what you get in August. Get it if you can.

Mt. Olympus Berry Farm-2 pints of big blackberries

Medina's Produce-onions, tomatillos, beets, dill (made salsa verde and borscht is coming) :lol:

Cenan's Bakery-ham and cheese and a cherry croissant, lemonade (thank you-the asphalt is HOT in hot in the middle of the day!)

Boy, do I love a bargain! Yesterday, I found two vendors who were selling "seconds". Mount Olympus had seconds tomatoes for $1/lb, and Allenburg Orchards had seconds peaches at the same price. Wow.

I had already bought a bunch of salad tomatoes from C&T when I saw the seconds tomatoes on sale, but I did avail myself of Allenberg's peaches. 4 peaches for a buck!

Well, they are a little on the small side, and definitely not at peak flavor, but I did get the quintesential peach juice dripping down my chin.

Here's what else I got:

C&T Produce from Stafford, VA-white corn which is little nubby, closely packed kernals bursting with juice, flavor and sweetness. I can't believe my luck this early in the season. This is not good for my cholesterol! Twice a day, I have been husking an ear of corn, nuking it and smothering each ear in butter and a pinch of kosher salt. I just can not help me.

Also...string beans and as I mentioned, salad tomatoes.

Mt. Olympus "Berry" Farm....I put that in quotes because these folks are the king of peppers and eggplants. I have never seen so many varieties!

I purchased tomatillos, peppers (check out the banana pepper dinner in the Dinner thread), and red onions.

Cibola- ground bison.

Allenburg Orchards-cheap peachs and small plums. The plum flesh is good, but the skin is bitter. Anyone else have this problem?

I love this market. The only problem is that I'm sweating like a whore in church within 10 minutes :lol:

Boy, do I love a bargain! Yesterday, I found two vendors who were selling "seconds". Mount Olympus had seconds tomatoes for $1/lb, and Allenburg Orchards had seconds peaches at the same price. Wow.

I had already bought a bunch of salad tomatoes from C&T when I saw the seconds tomatoes on sale, but I did avail myself of Allenberg's peaches. 4 peaches for a buck!

Well, they are a little on the small side, and definitely not at peak flavor, but I did get the quintesential peach juice dripping down my chin.

Here's what else I got:

C&T Produce from Stafford, VA-white corn which is little nubby, closely packed kernals bursting with juice, flavor and sweetness. I can't believe my luck this early in the season. This is not good for my cholesterol! Twice a day, I have been husking an ear of corn, nuking it and smothering each ear in butter and a pinch of kosher salt. I just can not help me.

Also...string beans and as I mentioned, salad tomatoes.

Mt. Olympus "Berry" Farm....I put that in quotes because these folks are the king of peppers and eggplants. I have never seen so many varieties!

I purchased tomatillos, peppers (check out the banana pepper dinner in the Dinner thread), and red onions.

Cibola- ground bison.

Allenburg Orchards-cheap peachs and small plums. The plum flesh is good, but the skin is bitter. Anyone else have this problem?

I love this market. The only problem is that I'm sweating like a whore in church within 10 minutes :lol:

Only problem with the market is the time. On Friday HH is much more important, especially since there are markets on Saturday and Sunday. :lol:

Mount Olympus Farm continues to be a true favorite of mine at this market. The array of peppers and eggplants is amazing. The prices are great too. Tomatoes and peppers were $2 a pound. I picked up ingredients for salsa verde-grilled tomatillos, a couple varieties of peppers, onions and cilantro (Safeway). Delicious :lol: .

C&T had Frosty corn, but the Argent "sweet" corn at Green Lever Farm was larger, and seemed more robust, so I bought a half dozen ears. Bad move. I should have stuck with the Frosty. I've tried it before and it's been great. The Argent corn was bland and incredibly starchy.

Happily though, my neighbors dropped off a dozen ears of corn at my doorstep this morning, which they had picked up in Amish country, PA yesterday. It's bi-color corn and just perfect. Sweet, but not too sweet, tastes like corn and the kernals are crisp and juicy. I'm going to make a batch of cheddar corn chowder and share it with them as a "thank you" for their generosity.