Fetish: The Watcher

Joe H

this is a remarkable wine. In truth it is the #2 Wine Spectator under $20 red wine of the year which is a helluva statement. If you like Schild Estate/Elderton Command ($80 a bottle)/Epsilon shiraz this is in that same vein. A superb mouth coating, fruity, SMOOTH full bodied shiraz that is one of the best that I've had in this price range from Australia. I would actually put it one on one with the Schild Estate wines from '04 (WS 96) and '05 (WS 93). The Wine Spectator seems to agree-they gave it 91 points. If you can find it give it at least 30 minutes before you have your first taste-it is tight. I am sipping it as I type this and it has been open about two hours. It is MUCH better now than it was just after it was opened. Last night we opened the 93 point '05 Schild Estate and the '05 Fetish Watcher and the Fetish was our first choice. Five of us voted on this.

As for the curious name of the wine I am typing this from the label on the back of the bottle:

"The Watcher. It is an image steeped in legend and mystery. It implies trancendence and authority. The Watcher is a being of knowledge, of understanding, of concern, of influence. At Fetish Wines, we value this level of attention to every step of the winemaking process, from the soil to the bottle. We do not want to manipulate wine, but to craft it by the subtle direction that can only be achieved through an intimate relationsahip with the land. For this wine Rolf Binder is the Watcher." (He is the wine maker.)

The downside of The Watcher: it is REALLY hard to find. I special ordered several cases from Arrowine (distributor is Associated Wines from Norfolk/Joshua Tree Imports from Duarte, CA) who came through for me and found this! On top of that they gave me 20% off with several cases which brought it down to about $17.50. Regardless, this is a wine that is worth $35 to $40 or more a bottle and a definite conversation piece for any gift/party/dinner. Fetish is the name of the winery and "The Watcher" is the wine maker. For those reading this who are responsible for a wine list in a restaurant: you MUST have this. It will inspire a dialogue between the sommelier and the guest which will be reaffirmed with the first taste. A GREAT bottle of $20 wine that I would be thrilled to find on a restaurant's wine list. For those on this board who know my taste trust me: this Fetish is worth having!

this is a remarkable wine. In truth it is the #2 Wine Spectator under $20 red wine of the year which is a helluva statement. If you like Schild Estate/Elderton Command ($80 a bottle)/Epsilon shiraz this is in that same vein. A superb mouth coating, fruity, SMOOTH full bodied shiraz that is one of the best that I've had in this price range from Australia. I would actually put it one on one with the Schild Estate wines from '04 (WS 96) and '05 (WS 93). The Wine Spectator seems to agree-they gave it 91 points. If you can find it give it at least 30 minutes before you have your first taste-it is tight. I am sipping it as I type this and it has been open about two hours. It is MUCH better now than it was just after it was opened. Last night we opened the 93 point '05 Schild Estate and the '05 Fetish Watcher and the Fetish was our first choice. Five of us voted on this.

As for the curious name of the wine I am typing this from the label on the back of the bottle:

"The Watcher. It is an image steeped in legend and mystery. It implies trancendence and authority. The Watcher is a being of knowledge, of understanding, of concern, of influence. At Fetish Wines, we value this level of attention to every step of the winemaking process, from the soil to the bottle. We do not want to manipulate wine, but to craft it by the subtle direction that can only be achieved through an intimate relationsahip with the land. For this wine Rolf Binder is the Watcher." (He is the wine maker.)

The downside of The Watcher: it is REALLY hard to find. I special ordered several cases from Arrowine (distributor is Associated Wines from Norfolk/Joshua Tree Imports from Duarte, CA) who came through for me and found this! On top of that they gave me 20% off with several cases which brought it down to about $17.50. Regardless, this is a wine that is worth $35 to $40 or more a bottle and a definite conversation piece for any gift/party/dinner. Fetish is the name of the winery and "The Watcher" is the wine maker. For those reading this who are responsible for a wine list in a restaurant: you MUST have this. It will inspire a dialogue between the sommelier and the guest which will be reaffirmed with the first taste. A GREAT bottle of $20 wine that I would be thrilled to find on a restaurant's wine list. For those on this board who know my taste trust me: this Fetish is worth having!

fruit_standard.jpgbomb.jpg