Mount Pleasant Market

I stopped by the Mt. Pleasant market for the first time this year and made two brilliant discoveries. First, there was a woman selling massages. I didn't get a chance to check out the pricing but since her list was pretty full I am going to assume that she is reasonable. My other brilliant find was a box of lettuce. The folks at Tree of Life have put together window boxes of lettuce and herb mixes. For $10 my box came with two types of basil, dill, two types of edible flowers, three or four types of lettuce and one thing of kale. There isn't enough for a family but it is the perfect amount for me since I am usually cooking for one.

Mt Pleasant had 4 types of cherries: the red Montmorency pie cherries which have a 10 day season, black Tartarians, Raniers and Bing. White and Black currants at Audia. Raspberries, strawberries, fuji apples from Storage.

Also saw many types of cabbage: Napa and two Italian varieties, Kales, collards, French carrots, Japanese turnips, scarlett Queen turnips, salad mixes, stir fry mixes, baby leeks, spring onions, bunching onions, herbs, Caribe purple potatoes, French fingerlings and Red Bliss. radishes, lots of basil, high tunnel tomatoes, strawberries that looked like Fraise du bois, English peas, snow peas, sugar snap peas, arugula, red and green chard, asparagus, lettuces, Italian Largo squash, pipian (Mid East Squash) and zucchini, epizote. Rue plants.

I read this web site on Nina Planck with interest, especially in relationship to farmers's markets in Washington, D.C.

Does anyone know if she involved in the history of the Mount Pleasant market in any way?

I believe that she is the daughter of the folks who own Wheatlands organic farm in Loudon Co., who have been involved with the Dupont market/Fresh Farm group since its inception. About a year after the Dupont market got started, she left home and went to England, where she was instrumental in starting a farmers' market in London. I don't know what her involvement with Mt. Pleasant is, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that she had returned to her home turf in some way.

I've been out of town for a couple of weeks. Did I foolishly plan my summer vacation during sour cherry season? Are there any left at local farmers markets?

Mount Pleasant will have sour cherries tomorrow at Reid and Quaker Valley and perhaps at Wheatland.

Mount Pleasant will have Amish Transparent Apples (( so called because they make a very clear applesauce!) and a new crop of strawberries, gooseberries, 3 colors of raspberries, Japanese blue plums, early yellow plums, a variety of peaches, both white and yellow, field tomatoes, cukes, 6 varieties of summer squash, leeks, onions, brocoli and all kinds of Breadline cookies, muffins, breads.

Paula and I recently moved to Vienna, VA and I have seen signs that advertise a farmer's market on Saturday mornings. Has anybody been to the Vienna farmer's market and is it worth checking out?

There are some good farmers there including Reid Orchards. It is worth checking out. They also have a fabulous flower producer...

Nina Planck will be signing her book Real Food at the Dupont Circle market next Sunday, shortly after the chef demo at 11 am.

Anyone in Penn Quarter get a chance to eat cake or paella this afternoon?

Nina will also be talking about her book and signing at the Mount Pleasant Farmers' Market (Mount Pleasant Street between Park and Lamont) on SATURDAY between 9-11.

Mt Pleasant will have first sweet corn and cantaloups of the season, tomatoes, beans, lots of cucumbers and 6 varieties of summer squash, white and yellow peaches, blue and yellow plums, 3 kinds of raspberries, gooseberries (LAST week for gooseberries), Wheatland's incredible blueberries, cherries, strawberries....pastured pork, buffalo, goat, rabbit, chicken that tastes like chicken because it is grass fed...and Breadline breads and sweets

How many vendors are typically a part of the Mt. Pleasant market this time of year?

Breadline Bakery, Cibolla Farms buffalo, pork and chicken, several vegetable farms, one or two fruit farms -- definitely worth a trip. Was there today and saw many heirloom tomatoes, melons, blackberries, some apples, lots of peaches, some okra, lots of basil, lots of zucchini and summer squash, onions, greens such as arugula and mesclun, eggplants, some grapes.

How much longer is Mt. P's market open? They usually close sometime in November.

Looks like you'll have to start joining me at New Morning :) This morning they had 4 different types of cauliflower: regular 'ole white, purple, orange, and a lime green whose shape defies description. I'm told it has a nuttier, grassier flavor that regular cauliflower.

Mount Pleasant Farmers' Market Returns Saturday May 5th 9-1 Lamont Plaza.

There will be purple and green asparagus and a variety of spring lettuces and greens including baby chard and spinach, watercress, arugula. Lots of herbs. Kathy Reid has created a container garden of of plants for afternoon Teas. First Strawberries next week.

Mt. Pleasant Farmers' Market 2008 opens on Saturday May 3 and runs through November 22. Lamont Park at the confluence of Mt. Pleasant Street, 17th Street and Lamont Street. Hours 9 am -1pm.

Yay! And this year I understand they will have a Farmers' Market ATM. I'm not sure I approve.

Tree & Leaf, Quaker Valley, Truckpatch, Reid and Breadline are among the 1st purveyors that come to mind from last year. But there are more and my apologies for my faulty memory.

If anyone wants to help me to hand distribute pretty postcards with market information to Mt. P, Columbia Heights and any other relevant neighborhoods please pm me. :) If you have responsible teenagers that would like to do this for greater than minimum wage ($8/hr) also let me know. I think we geezers should do it for exercise and the greater glory of farmers' markets. ;) Or we could total up our hours and make a contribution to DC Kitchen, Miriams' Kitchen or Martha's Table since it's in the market's budget to pay for this anyway. :( Two good deeds? This should happen in the next 2 or so weekends.

The new market manager, Rebbie Higgins, is an irresitable force of nature. Make sure you take the time to meet her if you can.

Banjo and accordians are being lined up for your musical enjoyment last I heard.

I hope to see you there Saturday am.

Wow. No posts since 2008? Am I the only Mt. Pleasanter to post here? There are only a couple of weeks left, but I really think this is one of the best neighborhood markets in the city. Big enogh that they have what you need, small enough that it is not a zoo, live music, and amazing steamed pork buns!

I am posting this from the Mt Pleasant Email written by the Director, Rebbie Higgins.

Dear Mt Pleasant Far Mar Friends,

The non-profit school gardens dcgreens.org is taking us under their wing to increase the number of farmers’ markets offering double dollars on food assistance programs like food stamps (aka EBT, aka SNAP), WIC (Women, Infant, Children) and Senior FMNP (Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program). Overcoming the technical obstacles to the use of food assistance programs at farmers’ markets has been the first step, but we’re finding nationwide that the real difference in healthy foods getting to low income families is when double dollars are offered on site.

So they got Whole Foods to offer one of their 5% days at both the P Street and the Wisconsin Ave store. That’s a real coup! And you can support this effort…effortlessly, by doing a little pantry stocking Wednesday, December 14th: any shopping you do at Whole Foods will translate into a substantial donation to DC Greens. Not sure what to buy? Here are some ideas from our handy dandy Pantry List: http://mtpfm.com/pantry-shopping-list/

• A miniature potted rosemary – that’ll work as a Xmas tree too!
  • A year’s worth of olive oil
  • An enormous wheel of raclette cheese to melt at the table with friends
  • Wine, sake, plum wine, cider, beer
  • A year of yummy Ayurdevic toothpaste and sustainably made toothbrushes
  • Presents! Amaryllis bulbs, bath salts, bamboo cutting board, salad tongs, sushi making kit
  • Sustainably caught shrimp
  • Avocados

If you’re looking for some culinary inspiration, there’s an exciting lineup of local chefs doing in-store cooking demos throughout the day, including John Melfi of Blue Duck Tavern, Peter Smith & Gina Chersevani of PS7 (ask about her cocktails, oh man), and Ris LaCoste of Ris. For a complete listing of chefs and the demo schedule, check out the http://dcgreens.org/eventsDC Greens events page.

Please bring your own bags for shopping.

Yours Truly, Mrs. Higgins