Currywurst

edenman

I've had some really awesome currywurst (Berlin) and some truly offensive renditions (Bavaria). Not enough experience to know what about it makes it so appealing, but enough to know that I need it in my life.

I lived in Berlin from '02-'03 and usually steered clear of Currywurst. It seems like the sausage equivalent of Cheetos. (;

For the souls still in a state of grace who don't actually know what Currywurst is, allow me to bring you down a little.

I'll begin by stipulating that my Currywurst observations have all been in Bavaria, and may be invalid for the North. But the Currywurst I've observed in Bavaria (which observations have dissuaded me from ever eating any of the stuff) is as follows: Grilled sausages cut into bite-sized chunks, copiously doused in tomato ketchup over which is sprinkled a fearsome amount of curry powder. Usually served on a paper plate with toothpicks. :blink:

For the souls still in a state of grace who don't actually know what Currywurst is, allow me to bring you down a little.

I'll begin by stipulating that my Currywurst observations have all been in Bavaria, and may be invalid for the North. But the Currywurst I've observed in Bavaria (which observations have dissuaded me from ever eating any of the stuff) is as follows: Grilled sausages cut into bite-sized chunks, copiously doused in tomato ketchup over which is sprinkled a fearsome amount of curry powder. Usually served on a paper plate with toothpicks. :blink:

Yea, that mirrors my Bavaria experience to a T. My Berlin experience was far less doused, far less straightforward (I think the sauce was an actual blend instead of just ketchup covered in curry powder), and very good. And I don't think I had even had that many weizen that day either. But the Berlin experience was like '03, so the time may have skewed perception. Hrm...