Barbaresco

DanCole42

Why does it seem like Barbaresco is always so expensive? Are all Nebbiolos?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Barbaresco for a man on a budget? Less than $20? Less than $10? One with a good truffliness to it... Mmmmm.

Oooh, Gaja! You naughty boy...

I feel like an idiot not remembering details of this after it was explained to me, but younger wines made from the nebbiolo grape have many of the same characteristics and are much cheaper. When I needed a barolo for a recipe, I was steered to a very nice wine from nebbiolo grapes that was reasonably priced.

Why does it seem like Barbaresco is always so expensive? Are all Nebbiolos?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Barbaresco for a man on a budget? Less than $20? Less than $10? One with a good truffliness to it... Mmmmm.

Oooh, Gaja! You naughty boy...

Good luck with that budget! I suggest a Nebbiolo d'Alba(meant to be drunk young) or Langhe (I believe declassified grapes)

Yeah, no Barbaresco under $20 these days. About the best value Barb out there is the 2001 Rabaja from Giuseppe Cortese, which is available at Total Wine (?!) at $49.99.

The best reasonable Nebbiolo for my palate is the Nebbiolo Langhe from G.D. Vajra. Availability is spotty, but check with Arrowine. Doug Rosen is a Vajra junkie.

Yeah, no Barbaresco under $20 these days. About the best value Barb out there is the 2001 Rabaja from Giuseppe Cortese,

I would counter that DeForville is a better value. I have basic village Barbaresco as well as Loreto for less than the Giuseppe Cortese. Both delicious.

For that matter, I also have some Cantina del Pino Barbaresco which is inexpensive (for Barbaresco, anyway...) and also delicous.

These "values" may be short-lived, though, as the dollar has hit an all-time low against the Euro of late. Higher prices to follow, alas. Time to discover the charms of basic Nebbiolo. For that matter, branch out and try some truly fabulous Barbera wines from growers with great sites. Discover just how a $28-35 Barbera can be so much more compelling than, say, an $8.99 one. While you're at it, try a really, really good Dolcetto. There's your high-teens-low $20's delicious Piedmont red right now.

Also, instead, of shooting for the Name, and town, go for a producer that is based in Barolo, or Barbaresco, ie) Langhe DOC.

Piero Busso (Langhe, and barbaresco), Ferrando (Carema DOC, and langhe, and barbaresco), lodali (in off years, and on years) is pretty cheap, but cheap is not always great. Watch out for 2002, it may be cheap, but it sure does not fulfill the desire of that you will be wanting :blink:

I would counter that DeForville is a better value. I have basic village Barbaresco as well as Loreto for less than the Giuseppe Cortese.
Ah, but Rabaja is more than just Barbaresco. It's the Chambolle of the Langhe.

And we all forgot to mention possibly the single best wine-producing cooperative in the world, the Produttori di Barbaresco, who release a basic Barbaresco and riservas from great sites, including Rabaja and Pora.

I would counter that DeForville is a better value. I have basic village Barbaresco as well as Loreto for less than the Giuseppe Cortese. Both delicious.

For that matter, I also have some Cantina del Pino Barbaresco which is inexpensive (for Barbaresco, anyway...) and also delicous.

I think the 2003 Deforville Barbaresco is superb but not quite typical. 2003 being so hot, the wine is fat and lush for a barbaresco but in no way flabby. It is drinking great now. The Vignetto Loreto is superb (2004). Tight, spicy, tannic, not too big (as traditional nebbiolo should be- that is not too big). Very classic but quite young. Del Pino is a very modernist wine to my taste but a very good modernist wine.

FOr Barbera & Dolcetto that would do well if you are in a Barbaresco mood, look towards Masolino. If you want to splurge try to find their 2003 Giusep Barbera which is aged in 20% new barrique and the rest in 2, 4 and 6 year old barrique. While this is not exactly tradtiional wine making, the result is not an ultramodernist wine. It is tight and rich, loaded with berry fruit, spice, earth & funk. I would be just as happy with a bottle of this as one of the two Deforvilles. But happier with a bottle of each!

FOr Barbera & Dolcetto that would do well if you are in a Barbaresco mood, look towards Masolino. If you want to splurge try to find their 2003 Giusep Barbera which is aged in 20% new barrique and the rest in 2, 4 and 6 year old barrique. While this is not exactly tradtiional wine making, the result is not an ultramodernist wine. It is tight and rich, loaded with berry fruit, spice, earth & funk. I would be just as happy with a bottle of this as one of the two Deforvilles. But happier with a bottle of each!

Yum, yum, you're dead-on about the Giusep, Dean. I love that wine and bought a bunch of it. Lovely stuff :blink:

The Dolcetto is very pretty, I'm bringing that in next week.

For Barbera & Dolcetto that would do well if you are in a Barbaresco mood, look towards Masolino.
While on that subject, the 2001 Cappellano Barbera d'Alba "Gabutti" is essentially Barolo with more color. Current release, Louis/Dressner Selections, available in North Carolina but not here (?!).

Just order a 1/2 case of Bric Ronchi-2004 and from Zachy's. They have some good deals on the 04 's I think.

Not really good deals. I seem to remember the 2004 Rocca Brich Ronchi being at least $18 cheaper a bottle at Gary's Wine in Madison, NJ.

ETA: $51.99 at Gary's $70.00 at Zachy's.

Outside the lines of Piedmont, take a trip down to Umbria and drink the greatness of Paolo Bea 'Montefalco Sagrantino'..WOW!!!! if you ave not had this producer in the past, you are missing out on one of the best Italy has to offer. :blink:

Bea = Rockstar. I love those wines.

Bea = Rockstar. I love those wines.

His wines are very interesting and wonderful. I have several vintages of the rosso di Montefalco and the Sagrantino both. They are pretty damned amazing. I am looking forward to the new vintage of the Santa Chiara as well.