Sushi Grade Seafood

Kanishka

I know this has been covered somewhere, but I can't seem to find it... I'm looking for a metro-accessible place to buy sushi grade tuna. Is Whole Foods my only option? I want to try my hand at making my own tartare. Salmon is also a possibility. Something in my gut tells me not to use the fish from Eastern Market... but my gut may be mistaken.

Thanks!

Your gut would be correct!

Maybe Black Salt?

Would be my bet, too, but it's not Metro-accessible (Metro+bus-accessible though). Maybe Cannon's in Georgetown? Not too far from Foggy Bottom, and an easy bus ride from many points across the city

Cannon's has gone spectacularly downhill in my opinion. If you're in G'town, Dean and deLuca's stuff is virtually always frightfully fresh -- and you'll pay for it. It's a small fish counter, but they almost always have the best looking tuna in town.

I am sick of the over-priced and mediocre quality tuna I have been getting from my local Whole Foods and want to pick up some GREAT quality tuna. Does anyone have any recent experience with picking any up from Blacksalt, Slavin, River Falls, etc? I am definately willing to travel within the greater DC area to pick up anything exceptional. Thanks

Isn't calling tuna "sushi grade" nothing more than a salesman's pitch? My understanding is that the FDA/USDA/FCC/FTC/DHS/FBI etc do not have any grading process for calling something sushi grade. Kind of like manufacturers who pitch their products as being made with "space age technology." It's b.s. Buy the freshest fish you can, sushi grade or not.

Isn't calling tuna "sushi grade" nothing more than a salesman's pitch? My understanding is that the FDA/USDA/FCC/FTC/DHS/FBI etc do not have any grading process for calling something sushi grade. Kind of like manufacturers who pitch their products as being made with "space age technology." It's b.s. Buy the freshest fish you can, sushi grade or not.

I was actually told by the fishmonger at Whole Foods that they cannot label their tuna as "sushi grade" because it must be flash frozen within a specific amount of time after catching. Whole Foods labels their tuna as "fresh"....now whether or not it actually is.....

"Sushi grade" is perfectly acceptable shorthand for "really, really, really fucking fresh." If some fishmonger sticks a sign in his tuna saying "sushi grade," I give it the old fisheye myself until satisfied. But, if someone I know on this board says that Black Salt has "sushi grade" yellowtail, I know what they mean and I trust them.

I, personally, only buy "sashimi grade" fish. Nothing less will do.

Try asking a favorite chef if they can sell you a slab from their loin :lol: (delivery) on a peticular day, give them a wink and buy them a drink. It's worth a try. Since most chefs get 8-20 # loins, they might oblidge. It's all in how you ask anyway....or beg... :)

Isn't calling tuna "sushi grade" nothing more than a salesman's pitch? My understanding is that the FDA/USDA/FCC/FTC/DHS/FBI etc do not have any grading process for calling something sushi grade....Buy the freshest fish you can, sushi grade or not.

Absolutely. Most tuna at sushi bars has been gas treated (CO2 as I recall) to maintain its dark color. Holdind fish frozen for 72 hours also kills the parasites that can live in the fish.

Does anyone know where someone could purchase seafood to make their own sushi at home. I have everything a person would need to make their own sushi aside from some fresh sushi-grade seafood. I looked at the local grocery stores and even whole foods and I was partially scared to even eat some of their seafood after I cook it let alone rolled up in the raw. Making sushi at home seems like it would be exciting and much less expensive than in a restaurant. I'm tired of imitation crab california rolls. :angry:

In the Virginia 'burbs, Super-H, H-mart, Lotte, and Grand Mart all have tuna, salmon, salmon roe and flying fish roe specifically packaged for sushi in their "fresh" fish cases. Super-H and the Grand Mart on Route 7 in Sterling also carry fresh uni most of the time. I believe all of them have additional sushi-grade seafood in the freezer case, in particular sweet shrimp and squid.

Sushi-grade squid rolled up with perilla leaves and sliced like a roll is a wonderful summer treat. I'd like to thank the sushi chefs at the now-defunct Genji in Falls Church for introducing me to that pleasure.

In the Virginia 'burbs, Super-H, H-mart, Lotte, and Grand Mart all have tuna, salmon, salmon roe and flying fish roe specifically packaged for sushi in their "fresh" fish cases. Super-H and the Grand Mart on Route 7 in Sterling also carry fresh uni most of the time. I believe all of them have additional sushi-grade seafood in the freezer case, in particular sweet shrimp and squid.

The new Lotte in Germantown also had "sushi grade" fish when I was there yesterday.

The new Lotte in Germantown also had "sushi grade" fish when I was there yesterday.
Has anyone ever actually bought any of the "sushi grade" stuff at any of these markets? I'm a bit nervous about it. With the whole fish and filets I can look at them and smell them to see if they are fresh or not (often 'not'), but with the packaged "sushi grade" stuff you're rolling the dice.

I would try calling the guys at A+H Seafood (Bethesda) first thing in the mornings to see what came in that day before the embassies take it all. Another option in Bethesda would be Daruma (sp?), its a Japanese market tucked in the corner of Arlington Rd and Bradley Blvd behind the CVS. My other recommendation would be Black Salt, which is good but I find a little pricy.

Has anyone ever actually bought any of the "sushi grade" stuff at any of these markets? I'm a bit nervous about it. With the whole fish and filets I can look at them and smell them to see if they are fresh or not (often 'not'), but with the packaged "sushi grade" stuff you're rolling the dice.

I have purchased both at Super-H and at the Grand Mart in Sterling in recent years. It's been long enough since I purchased from Lotte that I would not make any representation as to their current practices. I always check dates prior to purchasing; fish from both sources has been fine. I tend to go with the salmon because the tuna is too lean for my preference.

I've also used the frozen tuna steaks from Wegmans that are listed as sushi-grade, but I use that only in a poke, where it is marinated with other ingredients. I would not use that as a stand-alone sushi or sashimi as I don't find the taste clean enough. The deep freeze makes it safe for raw consumption vis-a-vis parasites, but it just doesn't meet my standards.

All these stores have prepared eel in the freezer case as well. I can't personally vouch for the quality because I'm not an eel fan, but my husband and daughter seem very happy with the results.

I've also used the frozen tuna steaks from Wegmans that are listed as sushi-grade, but I use that only in a poke, where it is marinated with other ingredients. I would not use that as a stand-alone sushi or sashimi as I don't find the taste clean enough. The deep freeze makes it safe for raw consumption vis-a-vis parasites, but it just doesn't meet my standards.

Note: with very, very few exceptions even the "fresh" tuna you get has been frozen, most notably on the boat that caught it. Even the priciest cuts of toro begin their retail life as hunks of nitrogen flash-frozen carcasses on the auction floor at Tsukiji. The question to ask is whether the frozen tuna you are being sold has been thawed in order to process it for sale. If so then the thawing/re-freezing is doing damage. If it has been processed from frozen product then there should be no difference whether it has been thawed in the display case of your local market or in the fridge at home.

Poke! Where do you find the seaweed for your poke? I'd love to make some too!

Poke! Where do you find the seaweed for your poke? I'd love to make some too!

The same Korean markets have an extensive selection of dried seaweeds. They also have a smaller, more expensive selection of "wet" seaweeds in the cases near the kim chi. I just sprinkle shredded nori over mine before serving. Not all of the pokes we had in Hawaii had a lot of seaweed. Mostly we make a perilla-intensive poke, wrapped in perilla leaves for serving, to take advantage of our very healthy perilla/shiso plant in late summer.

Just remember not to decorate your serving platter with too much Hawaiian kitsch. You don't want it to turn into a hokey poke.

I've often been lured by this link:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...p=C&topnav=

(I'm really sorry if its length messes with the windows in this thread)

I'm curious as to what others think.

I've thought about having some friends over for dinner and trying this.

Do you think it's trustworthy with the "never frozen" part

I thought sushi was supposed to be frozen at some point.

Thanks,

BD