Well, as a recent import this is of great interest to me.

I haven't done the full crabcake survey yet, but I'm trying to familiarize myself with the conventions. Faidley's rocked my world and granted me immediate understanding of why all Marylanders (?) I've known have simply scoffed at crabcakes elsewhere in the country. But when I was doing the apartment hunt a few months back, I also stopped by G&M. As an outsider, I don't get it at all. It struck me less as a crabcake and more as a pile of vaguely warm, very wet, mayonaise-y crab salad. I was there on Mother's Day and it was a total zoo, so I'm committed to returning on the assumption that I caught a bad plate. But is that how they're supposed to be? If so, count me in the camp that doesn't find G&M appealing at all.

Dmnkly, the next time you go to Faidley's also order a fish sandwich. Yes, a fish sandwich. Three or four deep fried filets on cheap white bread with hot sauce and cole slaw. On par with Nashville's best which may be America's best. D. C. used to have a great fish sandwich on Maine Avenue at a place called Benny's. Benny's later was sold and the name changed to Boyd's. Boyd moved in the '70's to 12th and H, N. E. and sometime in the '80's was sold and the name changed again to Horace and Dickey's. A lot of people today believe that Horace and Dickey's make a great fish sandwich but it's pedestrian next to what was served in the same building when Boyd had his name on it. If you make the trip to Faidley you'll understand why Horace and Dickey is a distant second.

Dmnkly, the next time you go to Faidley's also order a fish sandwich. Yes, a fish sandwich. Three or four deep fried filets on cheap white bread with hot sauce and cole slaw. On par with Nashville's best which may be America's best. D. C. used to have a great fish sandwich on Maine Avenue at a place called Benny's. Benny's later was sold and the name changed to Boyd's. Boyd moved in the '70's to 12th and H, N. E. and sometime in the '80's was sold and the name changed again to Horace and Dickey's. A lot of people today believe that Horace and Dickey's make a great fish sandwich but it's pedestrian next to what was served in the same building when Boyd had his name on it. If you make the trip to Faidley you'll understand why Horace and Dickey is a distant second.

Read your earlier post about it this morning, had one for lunch today... as advertised :-)

Why is this thread title use the non-word 'sammiches'??? The Earl of Sandwich would not approve.

Ask Mr. Rockwell.... For myself it would be something like "the sublime excellence of great fried fresh fish on cheap white bread"

H&D is good, no doubt about it, but it is true that their fish these days comes in frozen from Chile. Does Faidley use fresh?

Where can the good fish places be found in Nashville? I've tried several times to sample Prince's Hot Chicken but never seem to get there when they are open. Maybe I should stop and try the fish instead!

The use of sammich implies a certain level of the sublime as well as the association of being so overcome with excitement and hunger that one cannot say the word properly.

The word sand-wich simply does not have the same drooly-mouthed connotation, rather it reminds one of a single slice of bologna with mustard on Wonder Bread.

The use of sammich implies a certain level of the sublime as well as the association of being so overcome with excitement and hunger that one cannot say the word properly.

The word sand-wich simply does not have the same drooly-mouthed connotation, rather it reminds one of a single slice of bologna with mustard on Wonder Bread.

Well, I respectfully disagree. tongue.gif I think the reverse is true. But no worries. wink.gif

Why is this thread title use the non-word 'sammiches'??? The Earl of Sandwich would not approve.

Ask Mr. Rockwell.... For myself it would be something like "the sublime excellence of great fried fresh fish on cheap white bread"

I think this was synaesthesia's doing! :)

Is fried pork taken? (For my name) Also I don't know if everyone is aware of this or not, there is a sandwich that exists called the Baltimore club. You can find it in good neighborhoods tho it's more prevalent is lesser safe ones. Same build out as a traditional club but instead of all the meat cheese and bacon it's a crab cake with lettuce and tomato on one and shrimp salad with lettuce and tomato on other. Maybe some old bay mayo or something, but that's just superfluous.