Macallan's 18 Year Old Scotch

DaveBVI

Charging $30 for a small pour of Macallan 18 as Central does is another way to keep customers sober. Highway robbery, IMO. Food and service (Brian) were good though.
Not quite, Mac 18 is VERY overpriced, WHOLESALES for about $115/bottle in SF. :blink: I was shocked too. It's I 'm dropping it from my list, value/price ratio not good at all. It'sjust as expensive as Remy XO now, jeez.

Charging $30 for a small pour of Macallan 18 as Central does is another way to keep customers sober. Highway robbery, IMO. Food and service (Brian) were good though.
Dunno where you're buying Macallan 18, but it's $150.00 retail out here, 30 a pour is expensive but not outrageous by far.

Guess I'd better price it before I drink it next time. I agree $150pb is too much.
If you can find it for less than 150 a bottle retail let me know and I'm all over buying some. FYI, there are rumors going around that the kirkland branded scotch is really the same as this.

Some less expensive alternatives. I like the BalBlair 16yo for $32 Note sale ends today and another starts tomorrow. MC usually has a huge sale for all of December and it's a good time to restock. Call the store you plan to shop beforehand to make sure they have the booze you want in stock. Any store can check the system to see where a particular bottle is in stock.

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps/DLC...ts_specials.cfm

If you can find it for less than 150 a bottle retail let me know and I'm all over buying some. FYI, there are rumors going around that the kirkland branded scotch is really the same as this.

Bells on M street has the 18yo Mac for $130 according to their catalog

Yeah, mainly by people who do not understand the importance of final barrel selection in the production of whisk(e)y. Macallan, as with most distilleries that age their spirit, ends up with a proportion of excess barrels that simply do not fit their desired flavor profile. After barrel selection by the master distiller, the leftovers are dropped on the secondary market to blenders and, in some cases, acquired in bulk by value-oriented independent bottlers (as opposed to quality-oriented independents). Reviews of past independent bottlings being sold at Costco (Kirkland) and Trader Joe's ("Alexander Murray" label) have been broadly unfavorable when compared to the authentic item.

Macallan produced roughly 5.5 million liters in 1989, and now reportedly up over 6 million/yr. It's not clear to me if those figures represents bottled whisky, whisky at final still proof, or alcohol content (a figure commonly used to report distillery capacity). But even allowing for 18 years of the angel's share, there's a lot of whisky, which means a fair amount of "off" whisky too.

Macallan produced roughly 5.5 million liters in 1989, and now reportedly up over 6 million/yr. It's not clear to me if those figures represents bottled whisky, whisky at final still proof, or alcohol content (a figure commonly used to report distillery capacity). But even allowing for 18 years of the angel's share, there's a lot of whisky, which means a fair amount of "off" whisky too.

Murray McDavid has a quite fine Macallan available. WHile I don't think it delivers the value of their Bowmore or Cragganmore bottleings, it still shows what a fine whisky Macallan once was. They buy lots of 10-20 barrels of Mac, belnd them and finish them using old wine barrels of various sorts and then bottle.

Murray McDavid has a quite fine Macallan available. WHile I don't think it delivers the value of their Bowmore or Cragganmore bottleings, it still shows what a fine whisky Macallan once was. They buy lots of 10-20 barrels of Mac, belnd them and finish them using old wine barrels of various sorts and then bottle.

Great point, Dean. I haven't tasted that one, not being a big Macallan fan (more fond of those peaty Islays, myself) but would categorize Murray McDavid as one of the quality-centric independents, perhaps the best of the reasonably available ones. There are quite a few independent bottlers nowadays, whereas 15-20 years ago you only read about Gordon & MacPhail, Cadenhead, and the occasional Oddbins bottlings, sourced mainly as surplus from blenders.

Scott's seems to be showing up in more places. I've mostly liked the ones I've tried, but once in a while their lack of attention to detail leaves me puzzled. Highland Park labeled as a highland? :blink: (It's from the Orkney Islands, name notwithstanding.)

Scott's seems to be showing up in more places. I've mostly liked the ones I've tried, but once in a while their lack of attention to detail leaves me puzzled. Highland Park labeled as a highland? :blink: (It's from the Orkney Islands, name notwithstanding.)

Many get confused about Highland Park, which may be the most well-balanced scotch available. Something in it for all tastes, it's a good one to pour when you have a mix of Islay-heads--like me--and highland-lovers. I'm particularly partial to the 18 year-old.

Many get confused about Highland Park, which may be the most well-balanced scotch available. Something in it for all tastes, it's a good one to pour when you have a mix of Islay-heads--like me--and highland-lovers. I'm particularly partial to the 18 year-old.

Thank Lord, we've seen a precipitous drop in demand for Macallan in the past couple of years as more and more people become interested in the more esoteric stuff. Highland Park is really cool for their genre-crossing style, which does indeed have something for everyone. If you like that, give Springbank a shot-- they tend to have the briny quality of a good Island malt, a hint of peat (though more in their Longrow series), a hint of smoke, a hint of fruit, etc...

I think the 10 year 100 proof is one of the most balanced whiskys I've ever had-- and thats at 50% abv, consumed uncut!

Picked up a bottle of the Costco-bottled 18-yr [labelled as Macallan] in Delaware while visiting family in Philly. Dang fine I must say. Not refined enough in Macallan for me to discern much of a difference from true Macallan 18, but at $60/bottle I'm OK with that :blink:

And Lagavulin, that's yummy!

And Lagavulin, that's yummy!

Sure is. Outside of some of the more expensive/esoteric bottles like Laphroaig 30-year old (nectar of the Gods!), it doesn't get much better than the Lagavulin 16. I've heard that the 12 year-old cask strength is even better, but have yet to try it.

Sure is. Outside of some of the more expensive/esoteric bottles like Laphroaig 30-year old (nectar of the Gods!), it doesn't get much better than the Lagavulin 16.

Get it while its hot: I'm sorry to say that the distiller bottled Lagavulin 16 will soon cease to be-- apparently it has been just too popular these past few years and the distillers have run out of older whisky upon which to base the blend. A 12 year old, lower peated version will soon be released in it's stead. Not the same, lord knows, but having not yet tried it I am loath to cast aspersions.

Get it while its hot: I'm sorry to say that the distiller bottled Lagavulin 16 will soon cease to be-- apparently it has been just too popular these past few years and the distillers have run out of older whisky upon which to base the blend. A 12 year old, lower peated version will soon be released in it's stead. Not the same, lord knows, but having not yet tried it I am loath to cast aspersions.

I just may have to pickup a couple of bottles of the 16 then. Appreciate the heads-up!