Egg Nog Recipes

Joe Riley

It's almost that time again, so I thought that I'd kick this topic off. For the record. yes, I am ashamed of myself for not waiting until after Thanksgiving, but hey, someone was bound to do it sooner or later.

While doing a little bit of Bourbon research, I ran across this wonderful-sounding egg nog recipe from the Four Roses website:

Four Roses Eggnog

Beat separately yolks and whites of 6 eggs.

Add 1/2 cup of sugar to yolks while beating.

Add 1/4 cup of sugar to whites after they have been beaten very stiff.

Mix egg whites with yolks.

Stir in 1 pint of cream and 1 pint of milk.

Add a pint of Four Roses and 1 oz. Jamaica Rum. Stir thoroughly.

Makes 5 pints of the grandest eggnog ever ladled into a cup.

Serve very cold with grated nutmeg.

My boss has a recipe for egg nog that his late father used to swear by and give to customers every year. I'll have to find that and post it.

My boss' father's recipe:

32 oz. store-bought egg-nog (i.e., what you'd get at 7-11 or Safeway)

6 oz. Bourbon.

2 oz. brandy.

Don't know how many drinks that yields, but it sounds simple enough. My boss swears by it, says his dad gave this recipe to countless people over the 57 years he ran the store.

I'll have to ask the guys at Bourbon if they have a favorite recipe.

Not for anyone averse to raw eggs:

Beat 6 egg yolks with 1 1/8 c superfine sugar until very think and pale.

Mix in 2 1/2 c spirits (eg cognac and apricot brandy, or rum, or bourbon, or what you like)

Beat 6 egg whites til they just hold soft peaks and mix in

Whip 1 1/2 qts heavy cream with 1/2 c confectioner's sugar until it just holds soft peaks and fold in

It's a very forgiving recipe in that you can mess around with the proportions to suit your tastes and the result will still be good. But unless you prefer foamy beverages, don't overwhip the egg whites and cream.

With the snow falling, a fire crackling in the fireplace, and the Christmas decorations going up, I have a mad egg nog craving. I don't think I'll make the nog from scratch, but how do you all spike it up? Got any magic, secret combinations up your sleeves?

This is the best egg nog on the planet:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Baltimore-Eggnog-102325

I've substituted apricot brandy for the peach with very fine results, but I have NO idea how to make only a serving or two. I will tell you that I tried making this once with pasteurized eggs and found that the whites won't whip. (This was on Christmas Day for a large party and even the 7-11 was out of eggs. One of my neighbors came to the rescue and brought me a dozen.)

My father used to make Tom and Jerry batter and kept it in the refrigerator. Then, he would heat up milk for however many people were being served and measure out the appropriate amount of batter. That might be the way to go. Sorry, but I don't have the recipe. I much prefer egg nog myself. You could probably Google a prefectly fine recipe for T&Js.

An old friend of mine passed along this recipe the other day. His father made it growing up and my friend has carried on the tradition of making it...I love this stuff (in all its unhealthy glory) so I figured I'd contribute:

6 eggs

3/4 cup of sugar

2 2/3 cups of whole milk

1 tsp vanilla

1 pint heavy cream

1 to 1.5 cup (s) silver rum depending on how boozy you want it :angry: .

-Beat eggs and sugar slowly.

-stir in rum

-Add milk, vanilla, and 1/2 the cream and beat well.

-whip the remaining cream until stiff and fold into the other mixture slowly.

**Note: this then sits in the fridge for 3-5 days. Trust me its worth the wait. The above makes about a half gallon.