Calvert Woodley Wines and Spirits

mbalaver

I'm heading up to Calvert Woodley tomorrow to stock up for everyday and the holidays during their wine sale. I'm a wine lover, but not a wine expert. Has anyone been and come across any gems on sale? I'm looking for two categories: under $12 or so for random weeknight dinners (red or white), and $20 to $30 for hostess gifts and the like at the holidays (red). I like most anything that's not described as oaky or buttery. I know that's not much to go on, but would love any recommendations to expand my horizons.

And here's a specific question: I love Brunello di Montalcino, but rarely go for such a splurge (other than a glass or two at Dino now and then). Here's a list from CW's sale catalog. What looks good --and worth the price tag?

Brunello di Montalcino - Altesino “Montosoli” 2001 99.00

7328 Brunello di Montalcino - Banfi 2000 59.99

2723 Brunello di Montalcino - Ciacci 2001 59.99

2267 Brunello di Montalcino - Frescobaldi

“Castelgiocondo” 2001 49.99

2863 Brunello di Montalcino - Lisini 2001 59.99

7223 Brunello di Montalcino - Mocali 2001 39.99

7954 Brunello di Montalcino - Palladio 1999 34.99

3457 Brunello di Montalcino - Salicutti 1999 89.99

7336 Brunello di Montalcino - Uccelliera 1997 89.99

1778 Brunello di Montalcino - Valdicava 2000 79.99

I noticed this in the Calvert-Woodley ad in this morning's Post:

2006 Penfolds Koonunga Shiraz/Cabernet $6.99

This wine got 91 points in the most recent Wine Advocate (Robert Parker's newsletter)

I haven't had the 2006, but I thought the 2005 was delicious, and that one got 90 points.

IMHO this is a great everyday wine at that price. I know that the old world chauvinists who read this thread will stick out their tongues and blow razzberries at this and taunt it with the "fruit bomb" canard. This wine will be fruit forward, yes, but it has complexity and balance far beyond what one would expect at this price point. Very slurpable, and perfect with burgers, pasta, beef stew or meatloaf.

I noticed this in the Calvert-Woodley ad in this morning's Post:

2006 Penfolds Koonunga Shiraz/Cabernet $6.99

This wine got 91 points in the most recent Wine Advocate (Robert Parker's newsletter)

I haven't had the 2006, but I thought the 2005 was delicious, and that one got 90 points.

IMHO this is a great everyday wine at that price. I know that the old world chauvinists who read this thread will stick out their tongues and blow razzberries at this and taunt it with the "fruit bomb" canard. This wine will be fruit forward, yes, but it has complexity and balance far beyond what one would expect at this price point. Very slurpable, and perfect with burgers, pasta, beef stew or meatloaf.

I haven't tried the 2006, but the 2005 is one of my go-to "everyday" red wines that is also good to use in recipes. Can't beat the price!

There seems to be another one going on right now. I feel overwhelmed in here, as do I at Rodman's or Total Wine. The bin sales are pretty good prices from the baby things that I have been learning here, but yet, I still cannot tell for sure. Staff was very helpful.