The Flip

Jason Wilson's WaPo column this week is a fun essay on winter drinks. Makes me want to go out and pick one that's a little more flexible than the Tom and Jerry.

In his sidebar is a recipe for the Golden Rye Flip, a cold alternative to eggnog. Which brings me to something that's been troubling me this year: what should properly define a flip? The original drink, which flourished in these colonies during the mid-18th C, was a sweetened beer cocktail, violently and entertainingly frothed right before serving by plunging in a loggerhead kept hot in the fireplace. The sudden application of heat causes the beer to release a lot of carbonation at once, resulting in a warm, creamy quality. I can tell you from firsthand experience that it's a drink that makes you want to slap on a tri-cornered hat and growl like a pirate (although that last bit might be because my facilitator hand-forged his loggerhead in a jolly roger motif).

And yet we have these whiskey flips, served cold, and bearing little resemblence to the original, but plenty to nog. And they're being revived as classics. Any cocktailians care to fill in the historical bridge that I'm missing?

Any other favorite flip recipes?

Just another tidbit of info regarding flips..Flips were named after the meatl "flip iron" specifically used for heating beverages usually made of Rum, beer, spices and eggs. The flip irons were set in the fireplace(screw smores) to heat up until red hot then stuck into the large mug to "mull" the beverage, then set back in the fireplace to prep the next one . Eggs were optional here not specificsally required FYI In addition Most flips today are shaken and served over ice, rather than being heated

You can make your own using just a saucepan or kettle and stovetop, along with haet proof mugs. PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IF NOTHING ELSE--whyen you prepare a hot drink, the booze of choice is only to be HEATED NOT BOILED!!! Otherwise the alcohol will be boiled away and the flavor compromised.

Also prewarm your Glass Irish coffee mug or glass vessel of choice with hot tap water first to prevent cracking and the tears that will follow :(

One of my favorite that I made at Andale was the Aztec Eggnog

For 6 servings use the following:

4 cups eggnog

1 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocao powder

1/2 cup grated Mexican chocolate-Ibarra cinamon flavored choc from mexico-available here

1 1/2 cup Reposado or Anejo tequila I prefer Sauza Hornitos for the reposado and Chinaco or Don Eduarado for the Anejo--Trust me

in a saucepan combine and whisk the eggnog,nutmeg,cloves, and cocao powder. HEAT NO BOIL, the mixture over medium-low heat until simmering

Slowly add the chocolate until melted.\

Remove from the heat and add tequila and stir

Serve in your prewarmed cups\mugs and top with chocolate shavings

Kick back, enjoy, then shoot that annoying neighbors cat :(

You can also substitute bourbon, rum or brandy for the tequila

Another awesome drink is the Sevilla Flip

1 oz heavy cream

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1 1/2 light Rum

1 1/2 Ruby Port

ground nutmeg

make same way as above

Cunningham and I were discussing advocaat the other day, the article talks about using it(egg liqeur) for flips. I find it only works when mixing with a low-proof liqeur; make a rye or rum flip with this and it's over the top. I mixed it with banana nectar and powdered sugar for the Banana Flip.

BTW: The snowball cocktail is like a three day old dirty diaper filled with limes and ramen noodles.

BTW: The snowball cocktail is like a three day old dirty diaper filled with limes and ramen noodles.
:( Okay, that's the second funniest description I've ever heard of an Advocaat cocktail (this being a public forum, I won't repeat the first but will be happy to share it via PM.)

I may have a mental block here, but is there really not a classic (i.e., well known, old, with a well known name) that's just white rum, sugar, lime juice, and egg white, maybe with bitters? I mean, a few things show up in cocktaildb with those ingredients, but I don't recognize any of the names. I'm in the mood for a bit of the totally awesome Neisson white rhum agricole.

I may have a mental block here, but is there really not a classic (i.e., well known, old, with a well known name) that's just white rum, sugar, lime juice, and egg white, maybe with bitters? I mean, a few things show up in cocktaildb with those ingredients, but I don't recognize any of the names. I'm in the mood for a bit of the totally awesome Neisson white rhum agricole.
Essentially a Daiquiri, right? Anyway, check this out for some possible insight...

The Cocktail Spirit with Robert Hess

Could it be a lime rickey?