Bon Appétit

FunnyJohn

In the directory which lists 12 restaurants for NYC alone the Midlantic region gets Komi. While we can take some small comfort from the fact that Komi's star is sufficiently bright for the editors and critics of Bon Appetit to take notice, I guess for them everything between the Lincoln Tunnel and Chapel Hill is mere flyover country. Either that or they really don't get out much. :angry:

In the directory which lists 12 restaurants for NYC alone the Midlantic region gets Komi. While we can take some small comfort from the fact that Komi's star is sufficiently bright for the editors and critics of Bon Appetit to take notice, I guess for them everything between the Lincoln Tunnel and Chapel Hill is mere flyover country. Either that or they really don't get out much. :angry:
How about the sheer number of Gordon Ramsay restaurants included? I guess that pictoral was bound to cost them. I had an ok, but not amazing, meal at his NY outpost last week...

How about the sheer number of Gordon Ramsay restaurants included? I guess that pictoral was bound to cost them. I had an ok, but not amazing, meal at his NY outpost last week...
Yeah, when I saw the photo of Ramsay with his daughters I wondered if he screams at them like he does his apprentices.

Second article:

Hoping to capitalize on the growth of foodie culture, Bon Appétit is remaking itself as a younger, more accessible title.

So what's left for those of us "hovering around 50"?

Other epicurean magazines, as described by Editor in Chief:

Cooking Light... which is about fear: What can I eat without killing myself?

Martha Stewart's Every Day Food... that's not how I want to live my life.

Food & Wine... is really about New York chefs and restaurants.

Gourmet... a campaign about food for thought.

Second article:

So what's left for those of us "hovering around 50"?

Other epicurean magazines, as described by Editor in Chief:

Even though I preferred the old look of it, I think that Saveur does a fine job of appealing to food centric people of all ages. For the most part they do a fine job of not getting caught-up in trying to connect celebrity and food.

AdAge: Bon Appetit and Starbucks are pioneering a new advertising space in magazines: the masthead.

In the May issue of Bon Appétit, Starbucks takes over the business-side masthead, asking the roll call of the magazine's executives, "What do you like best with your Starbucks coffee at home?"

MediaWeek: When Starbucks ran its unusual advertising masthead takeover in the May issue of Condé Nast’s Bon Appétit, many observers praised the title for its creativity, while other advertisers clamored to be next.

Bon Apetit has been going down hill for years. Trendier, glitzier and just plain worse. I first noticed the decline two graphical format changes ago. I have been tried to decide whether to drop my subscription or not.

I agree Saveur is a fine work. I like Cook's Illiustrated, also.

Anybody else notice that they "forgot" DC in their "the united plates of america*" article? I realize DC doesn't have representation but we are still here and eat!

*Lower case their doing, not mine.

No, I didn't notice, because I dropped my subscription to BA almost a year ago. That was a very painful decision because I had been a long-time subscriber -- I have every issue starting from 1990! BA just became ridiculous and irrelevant to me -- even many of the photos were nauseating. Who wants to look at a half-eaten plate of something?