Italian Red Christmas Gift

jandres374

My wife has asked me to purchase a bottle of Italian Red (I know very specific) for the owner of her company. Not much to go on but would like to get something that is drinkable now, in the $100 or so price range and readily available in this area. Thinking maybe a Barolo or Barbaresco.

I know this is not very specific but thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am confident that I will get some great suggestions here.

My wife has asked me to purchase a bottle of Italian Red (I know very specific) for the owner of her company. Not much to go on but would like to get something that is drinkable now, in the $100 or so price range and readily available in this area. Thinking maybe a Barolo or Barbaresco.

I know this is not very specific but thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am confident that I will get some great suggestions here.

Drop by my place. I've got several fun Italian reds in that price neighborhood. :(

Off-topic, when I read your thread title, "Italian red Christmas gift", wine wasn't my first thought. My mind didn't head for Piedmont or Tuscany, but rather right for Modena:

ferrari599gtb01nn6.th.jpg

For my money, its hard to beat the wines of the south. Though a bit esoteric and misunderstood, the oft ignored regions of Campania, Puglia and Basilicata produce some of the most interesting wines in the country. In the $100 region my top pick would be Feudi di San Gregorio Serpico, any vintage. Made from some very, very old vine Aglianico (Campania's native gem, which I am convinced will become more and more fashionable with time) this wine typically exhibits a sour cherry/ tarry nose, a VERY full body, ample dark fruit and musk on the palate and a structure not unlike a well made Saint Emilion. Combine this with a decade long life span, brilliant labeling and inherent uniqueness and I think this makes a great gift for anyone who knows (or thinks he knows) Italian wine.

For $100 or less, here are a few suggestions:

Brunello 2001 Riserva or Normale: Costanti, Pertimali, Collosorbo

Barolo Luigi Pira 2001

Barolo Giacomo Conterno Cascina Francia 2003

Tenute Terre Nere Guardiola Etna Rosso

Sertoli Sartis Sforsato "Canua" 2002 or 2001

Amarone Begali 2001 Ca Bianca

Amarone Corte Sant'Alda 2000

Amarone Tedeschi 2003