Rhum Agricole

jparrott

Those of you who are eGullet old-timers recall member #12, Ed Hamilton, whose Ministry of Rum message board was part of the original eGullet set. Ed is one of the world's rum authorities, and one of his true passions is rhum agricole, rum from freshly-squeeze cane juice, made in one of the French West Indies. Even tighter standards are required for rhum agricole A.O.C. Martinique.

Little of this elixir makes it to the states. Producers include Depaz, J.M., and two that Mr. Hamilton himself imports via the "Caribbean Spirits" back label, Neisson and La Favorite. The white rhums, bottled at 100 proof, are assertive, fruity, and spicy, and with a bit of lime and sugar, blossom into waves of golden raspberry, honey, and flowers. The aged rhums are elegant, with wood not overpowering (most of the cooperage is either used, or large, or both), and honey, vanilla, and dark spice elements coming to the front, but still, a lithe, citrusy core. Most of these rhums are bottled in 1L bottles--a little more for you money.

I have seen Depaz and J.M. (white and a few aged expressions) in the DC market. Ledroit Brands (see my sig) is thinking about doing a little bit with Caribbean Spirits (Neisson blanc is one of my very favorite spirits). Any others around? Any interest in this type of stuff?

Assuming that Ledroit will be able to clear them into DC for "normal" prices, I can think of a few rummys who would be pleased to not have to truck up to NYC to get ahold of some of Ed's selections (although come to think of it, they did head there for Ed's rum tasting extravaganza at the Flatiron Lounge a couple of years ago).

A handful of committed cocktailians stocking their bars doesn't add up to a significant volume though. How do we get a critical mass of DC's watering holes to step up their connoisseurship?

Interesting that this topic came up, because about a month ago I ordered a daquiri at a restaurant bar, while musing to my friend that rum isn't among the current trendy beverages and you don't see it prominently displayed along with the high-end Scotch and bourbon and rye and gin and vodka anymore... and the go*d*mn so-called bartender had to ask me how to make one because he had never heard anyone order one other than blended with ice in the blender. :(

Yes, I'd love to try any rum you care to get us, Jake. :(

Come meet the world's foremost rum (and rhum) authority, Ed Hamilton, at Bourbon Adams Morgan, 2321 18th St NW, this coming Monday, April 7th, from 7:30. Ed will be on hand to answer any rum questions you might have and to help introduce the rhums agricoles of Neisson and La Favorite. And we might just have a few of DC's finest cocktail-heads hanging around from the trade event beforehand, and maybe a few surprises.

We'll be at the upstairs bar at Bourbon. Not sure how long (depends on turnout, I suppose). See you then!

[if you want to help us determine how long we're going to be there, send me a PM so I can help Bourbon's staff out with numbers ;) ]

Y'all missed out-- this was a great event! A definite eye-opener for this rum ignoramus.

Argh, found this the day after. They had a great bourbon event last year, was sad to hear I missed this one. Could stuff like this please be posted in the "events and gatherings" section next time?

Another Rhum event in DC!

Tonight at Room 11, Dan Searing's very welcoming corner bar at 11th & Lamont Sts, NW, Ed Hamilton will be making ti'punches and regaling us with stories of sailing, rum running, and heaven knows what else :rolleyes:. We'll be doling out tasting-size ti'punches, and Mr. Searing his ownself will be slinging proper drinks inside (if you ask nicely, he'll even make you one with the ethereal Neisson Eleve Sous Bois).

5-7:30 tonight, more or less. See you there!

I am looking for a nice bottle of rhum agricole for a friend's birthday. Can anyone recommend a store in the DC area where I might be able to find something special/unique? Failing that, i would also appreciate any on-line sources. Thanks very much.