Laphroaig Single Malt Islay

DanCole42

Oh, and to answer the question posed in the thread title, Laphroaig sets the paradigm for maritime malt whisky flavors: sea salt, brine, iodine, seaweed, etc... The Quarter Cask bottling is much more mild than the basic 10-year that is their flagship. All that time spent in those small casks rounds out the flavors rather nicely. I've had it up against the 10-year Original Cask Strength bottling (which wipes the table with the "basic" 10-Year bottling, by the way...) and it was a tough call as to which one I personally preferred. I liked them both very much, but I had to give the edge to the 10-Year OCS. It wasn't a clear knockout, though. Others might just as easily and legitimately prefer the Quarter Cask.

Won't go into the Laphroaig 15-Year right now, it's been too long since I've had it, but I can say that it was a wonderful whisky, rather deep and almost brooding compared with the 10-Year.

The 30 yr tasted outstanding at the Society tasting! There is not a bottling of Laphroig I have tried that I did not love. A warning to others, once you start down the path of Islay, other regions can seem too subtle and sweet, you might not make it back.Thanks again Joe!
When I was three or four, my dad had left a glass of Islay (I forget the kind - probably cheap, given the time period) sitting out while he was in the other room. I promptly downed it. I fell asleep soon afterward.

When I was around seventeen, I stole a bottle of Laphroaig from my dad's liquor cabinet and took it to a party. I dumped more than half the bottle down my gullet in a few minutes. It was my first time getting drunk, and I paid for my inexperience with a nap in my own vomit.

My first non-wine/beer LEGAL drink was Laphroaig.

Throughout the week leading up to my birthday each year I ritually drink a glass of Laphroaig every evening.

I have had the 10-year, 25-year, Quarter Cask, OCS, and about a year ago I even got to try the 40-year* (WOW).

In other words, I have remained steadfastly on the "path of Islay" for almost a quarter century. :(

Joe - I've heard nothing but good things about your fine establishment, but AU is a bit of a hike for me. Anyone know of anywhere closer to either Fair Oaks (where I live) or 18th & Conn NW (where I work)?

*Thanks to my dad, who has long since forgiven me for all prior transgressions.

Joe - I've heard nothing but good things about your fine establishment, but AU is a bit of a hike for me. Anyone know of anywhere closer to either Fair Oaks (where I live) or 18th & Conn NW (where I work)?

We do deliver every day. We're down in your neighborhood of 18th & Connecticut virtually every single business day. Call me! :(

I have had the 10-year, 25-year, Quarter Cask, OCS, and about a year ago I even got to try the 40-year* (WOW).

In other words, I have remained steadfastly on the "path of Islay" for almost a quarter century. :(

Are you a "Friend of Laphroaig" plotholder? It's easy to join, and free, it merely requires that you provide the UPC code off of a bottle of Laphroaig that you've purchased. Simple!

They just sent me two über-cool (for a whisky-head like myself, anyway) special Laphroaig pins, one for myself, one for a friend who I should encourage to sign up. :(

We do deliver every day. We're down in your neighborhood of 18th & Connecticut virtually every single business day. Call me! :(
As soon as my current supply of 10-year runs our, I just might do that. :(

I've been meaning to become a FOL for some time, but whenever it occurs to me I seem to be without easy access to a bottle (i.e. at work).