Food as Cocktails

In the past several months I have come across a bacon martini, a sweet potato drink and a couple other instances of bartenders wandering into the kitchen (and a couple of chefs wandering out). What are your general thoughts on this trend? Is the world ready for a beet and goat cheese martini? Or would you rather enjoy a cocktail that doesn't emulate but rather compliments your food?

In the past several months I have come across a bacon martini, a sweet potato drink and a couple other instances of bartenders wandering into the kitchen (and a couple of chefs wandering out). What are your general thoughts on this trend? Is the world ready for a beet and goat cheese martini? Or would you rather enjoy a cocktail that doesn't emulate but rather compliments your food?
It (the beet and goat cheese martini, et al.) is not something that appeals to me personally. I'm slightly intrigued by breaking food and beverage into components and rearranging them in unexpected ways, enough so that I enjoy reading about molecular gastronomy but have not yet had a compelling urge to go to Minibar.

At Cyrus , they have custom metal straws for their cocktails. At the end of the straw (the part that goes in the drink, not your mouth) are several prongs for stabbing various garnishes and food items that are incorporated in the drinks. Over the summer I had a gin-based cocktail with cucumbers, and enjoyed sipping and and crunching away.

At Cyrus , they have custom metal straws for their cocktails. At the end of the straw (the part that goes in the drink, not your mouth) are several prongs for stabbing various garnishes and food items that are incorporated in the drinks. Over the summer I had a gin-based cocktail with cucumbers, and enjoyed sipping and and crunching away.

I love garnishes too-sweet and savory. Don't skimp on the celery in my bloody Mary-the more garnish the better.

Homemade bacon vodka :mellow:

bacon_vodka.jpg

1. Fry up three strips of bacon.

2. Add cooked bacon to a clean pint sized mason jar. Trim the ends of the bacon if they are too tall to fit in the jar. Or you could go hog wild and just pile in a bunch of fried up bacon scraps. Optional: add crushed black peppercorns.

3. Fill the jar up with vodka. Cap and place in a dark cupboard for at least three weeks. That's right- I didn't refrigerate it.

4. At the end of the three week resting period, place the bacon vodka in the freezer to solidify the fats. Strain out the fats through a coffee filter to yield a clear filtered pale yellow bacon vodka.

5. Decant into decorative bottles and enjoy.

I think Thrasher started this trend two years ago with the invention of the Pear Nectar Martini with Foie Gras Torchon - take a sip, take a bite.